Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:43 PM
Rick H.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Unetl Sight Block Question

Does anyone know what type of cutter is/was used to make the circular cuts on the right side of Unertl style scope blocks? These cuts are sometimes referred to as "smiley face cuts". I have a unique situation where I have to put these cuts on a special Unertl style scope block and would like to know how they are made.

Thanks in advance!
Rick H.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:47 AM
gunsmither
RFC Sponsor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Photo?

A good photo would certainly help.

UNIQUE gunsmithing tools and accessories for 10/22's, MkII's, S&W
Old 04-08-2019, 12:42 AM
6mmintl

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
clambering. Would guess that scope block(Redfield) makers had a special cup cutter custom made for the process.

You might custom grind a cutter to be mounted in a adjustable boring bar tool holder with base held on its side In a milling machine but annealed your sight base before using.

Unertl POSA mount cuts could be made with small endmill plunge in milling machine.

Brownells might have cutters, possible chamber reamer makers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2019, 07:20 PM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks I'll have to look into a custom cutter.

Rick H.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:42 PM
lizardtrack
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Before doing anything check the hardness of the mount. I had one you couldn't touch with a file.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:38 AM
lion
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I think most original unertl blocks were hardened. I'm pretty sure the after market blocks at champions choice and champion shooters are not. Also pretty sure Steve Earl's blocks are hardened. Take this free information for what it cost you. Wayne
Old 04-10-2019, 10:02 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I call those a 'cup' cut, like the top of a traditional coffee cup. The tiny cutting edges are going to take a beating on any base tougher than mild steel. Annealing will be your friend, maybe even double annealing. I expect that cutter will be a pricey specialty item and if you blow it up on a too hard base you are going to cry
Too bad Steve Earle is not as available as he once was for advice and custom work, but who knows, you might get through.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:07 PM
ghgs

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Rick
Steve E is still selling Blocks. I just got a set yesterday.
http://www.steveearleproducts.com/scopeblocks.html

Glen
Old 04-10-2019, 06:45 PM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the additional information. I have dealt with Mr. Earle for a long time and unfortunately like many other businesses when they get well known and busy they change things to accommodate the increase in business. Mr. Earle's products are absolutely top notch and I have asked him to make many specialty blocks over the years. At this point he won't make a specialty block because he is booked doing his normal work. So my thought was to buy the blanks from him and mill my own "smiley cut" in them as I have my own small knee mill. Unfortunately, I have yet to find anyone that can supply me with the proper cutter to do this. Someone came up with the idea to used a broken two flute end mill and grind it to the appropriate size. I tried this three times and the end of the end mill broke off each time. thanks again for any ideas.....

Rick H.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:26 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Rick, ya might have to custom form a Dremel stone and do a careful grind of the cut with it chucked in the mill.
Id initially make it to form the outer, wider entry on the blocks, then re-form for the sharper, deeper parts.
This is what ya make the big bucks for....lol
Old 04-11-2019, 08:35 PM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks gcrank1, never thought of a Dremel stone. I could probably do the outer grind, but not sure I could get the inner part of the stone formed right, or what to use to do it. Thanks much though!! And if I got paid the big bucks I would just go to a custom shop and have them make me a real cutter....LOL!

Rick H.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:00 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thinking on it a little more I wonder if once you get through the outer, hardened layer with the Dremel stone a re-ground end mill cutter might be able to work without chipping?
Old 04-12-2019, 04:51 PM
Rick H.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Thinking on it a little more I wonder if once you get through the outer, hardened layer with the Dremel stone a re-ground end mill cutter might be able to work without chipping?

I am not sure just how hard the Unertl style scope blocks are such as the ones Steve Earle makes. I will have to do some testing to determine that. I do know that the 1903 scope blocks that Steve makes and then color case hardens are exceptionally hard.

Rick H.