Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:26 AM
Old No7
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Martini Action "Animation" - Link Added

Ahoy to the forum from the coast of Maine...

I've studied many images of the Martini action in cocked, fired and open position, but what I'd really like to see is some online "animation" of a Martini action being cycled showing how the all parts interact.

Does anyone have a link to that?

I'm trying to determine the interface between the downstroke of the level and the cocking of the "toggle" (British part name) or "tumbler" (U.S. part name) that cocks and releases the striker in the bolt.

In the interest of full disclosure...

I DO have a very njce .22 LR BSA Martini that I've posted about here before, but I am asking about this animation HERE as I've just acquired a German Schuetzen Martini made in Zella-Mehlis Germany. I got the rifle for a great price because it doesn't function -- as it has an aluminum "proof part" for the toggle/tumbler that doesn't work -- but I'm aiming (pun intended) to fix that problem. It's an unknown 8mm, for now, but a cerrosafe cast may confirm it is an 8.15x46R which was the most common Schuetzen cartridge in Germany.

Here she is, for those interested...

I'd appreciate any help on this, thanks!

IF the moderators choose to delete or lock this post, since it's not a 22 LR Martini, I will understand... But then again, that animation could be very helpful to owners of rimfire Martinis if this post gets some replies.

Mine is also a "real" Martini action with the striker in the block and a through-bolt for the butt (whereas many German "Martinis" had hidden swinging hammers inside and no through-bolts, and were variations on the design).

Tight groups.

Old No7

Last edited by Old No7; 03-06-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:10 PM
rapidfire10ring
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Humm, do you also have any other Martini's. I had not thought of a video, but do know how they work. As the tumbler (toggle) takes a lot of work and stress from the force of cocking, it also compresses the striker (firing pin & spring) which is held by the sear.

I do believe I saw a cut-away (either photo or video) of the Martini action. BT
Old 03-05-2018, 04:35 PM
Old No7

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks.

I do have a nice old BSA Martini in 22 LR that John Taylor relined for me, but as the German one has the triggers behind the action, the toggle/tumbler is a different shape.

Since the "cutaway" you mention might help others with their Martinis or be of interest to them, here's an image I found online of one:

My main takeaway from this image, and others I've viewed, is there is a critical spatial and dimensional relationship between 3 different areas of the toggle/striker, as well as the location of the hole.

I've removed the original striker spring and will install a very weak one -- only for testing -- as I am making proof parts from hard plastic. It's cheap, easy to cut oversize and easy to trim/sand to final size. If (or should I say "when"?) I can get one of those parts to work well, then I'll reinstall the original heavy striker spring and have my brother-in-law's machine shop make the final design out of metal.

Old No7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2018, 04:42 PM
rellisonii

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
http://gph.is/29in3AF
Old 03-05-2018, 09:12 PM
Old No7

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rellisonii View Post
Thank you rellisonii! Just what I was looking for...

That confirms what I've suspected -- in addition to the location of the hole for the pin, there are 3 critical bearing surfaces of the toggle/striker that must all work "together" for the action to properly cycle -- and be safe.

I was lucky to get two images of toggles/tumblers that "might be" from my type of Martini -- with the triggers located behind the action -- and I put both into this combined image. The red arrows show where I should be able to calculate/guesstimate dimensions based on the known diameter of the pin itself, and from taking careful measurements inside my action.

I'm still not 100% sure this might help a 22 rimfire Martini owner, but it just might be interesting or entertaining for Martini enthusiasts.

Tight groups all.

Old No7