Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-01-2005, 07:35 PM
oldlib
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Question Gah! Best brass? Hurry, please.

I'm bidding in some once-fired brass to get me started in reloading, and I see they offer a choice between Remington, Winchester and Federal. Is there any real difference? Bidding ends tomorrow night (Friday).
My gun is 22 hornet.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:18 PM
rigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I'm not sure that it makes much difference as long as you work up loads for whatever brand of brass you have. If you change brands start out with a reduced load and work your way up again. I've had a Hornet for 30 years now and have always used Winchester brass just because that's what I bought the first time.

For powder I will recommend that you try some of Hodgdon's Lil' Gun. I had trouble getting decent groups with my handloads before I used Lil' Gun. Now I can get one inch groups out of my old 43 Winchester.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:32 PM
quickdtoo
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One difference between win and rem hornet brass is the rem will hold more powder if you want to run max loads.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2005, 08:42 PM
oldlib
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thumbs up

I didn't mention that I'll likely go for "k-hornet" down the road. Thinking about sending my Ruger 77 off to Randy at CPC for the work. He did good on my 10l22. I only target shoot.
Anyway, I was leaning toward Winchester, mostly because of prejudice I've gained because of bad luck with Remington's bulk rimfire in my rifle and pistol.
How do you get more powder in one brand versus another? Aren't they the same size?
Boy, I got a lot to learn. Looking forward to it.
thanks,
oldlib
Old 09-01-2005, 10:42 PM
quickdtoo
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rem hornet brass is apparently thinner which allows about .5gr more capacity. I borrowed a recommended load from another member at GBO, only I used once fired win brass instead of the rem it called for, it wouldn't hold the 13grs of powder, only held about 12.5gr. Got some rem brass and it worked fine with that 13gr load. I've ran into capacity problems with other brass before, specifically norma. So it ain't all the same, unfortunately.

Tim
Old 09-01-2005, 11:03 PM
oldlib
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Wow, who'd have thought.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Bucks Owin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's my recommendation:

1. Federal
2. Win (almost as good)
3.Rem not so great but servicible for a couple reloads....

Dennis
Old 09-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Bucks Owin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlib
I didn't mention that I'll likely go for "k-hornet" down the road. Thinking about sending my Ruger 77 off to Randy at CPC for the work. He did good on my 10l22. I only target shoot.
Anyway, I was leaning toward Winchester, mostly because of prejudice I've gained because of bad luck with Remington's bulk rimfire in my rifle and pistol.
How do you get more powder in one brand versus another? Aren't they the same size?
Boy, I got a lot to learn. Looking forward to it.
thanks,
oldlib
Converting to K-Hornet is a good idea. You'll pick up 300 fps and the cases are easier to reload.

Dennis

BTW, you'll still be able to fire std .22 Hornet in your K chamber which is handy!
Old 09-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Max Velocity

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brass Brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlib
Remington, Winchester and Federal. Is there any real difference?
Hi George,
It's all good, Remington is a little thinner and will hold about 1/2 grain more powder in a K Hornet. In my experience Federal is a little harder than the other two. If you took a poll, Winchester would probably be the most popular for all calibers. I use mostly Winchester in my K Hornet and it works fine. I also have 250 Hornady cases, but I haven't reloaded any of those yet.
Just pick one.
Max
Old 09-03-2005, 10:58 AM
oldlib
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Hey Max, how's it going?
I'm getting the Winchester brass. I've already got some Hornady and Seller and Bellot from my own shooting at the range, so I got plenty to get started. All that's left is to get powder and clear a place to work. I got my equipment according to the Lyman book (thanks) and I'm ready to go.
I've laid-off buying stuff until those folks in the south at least have food and water to survive.
Thanks, everybody, for the info.
oldlib
Old 09-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Bucks Owin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Velocity
Hi George,
It's all good, Remington is a little thinner and will hold about 1/2 grain more powder in a K Hornet. In my experience Federal is a little harder than the other two. If you took a poll, Winchester would probably be the most popular for all calibers. I use mostly Winchester in my K Hornet and it works fine. I also have 250 Hornady cases, but I haven't reloaded any of those yet.
Just pick one.
Max
My experience with Rem brass is that it won't last as many loadings, (especially in hot handgun loads) as Fed or Win. Primers pockets loosen up,(sometimes before the first loading!) cases split, they stretch unduly. Yeah, they have slightly more capacity but if that matters to you, you're probably using the wrong powder in your "recipe" anyway IMHO. Like most things Remington, I can live without 'em... (No prejudice here! heh heh) Win is a little "springier" than Fed, I agree Fed seems hardest, but either one is a good choice....

IMHO,

Dennis

BTW, I think the flash holes are less consistent in Rem too.

PS Seems weird discussing this kinda stuff at RFC! I was surprised to see this forum open up...

Last edited by Bucks Owin; 09-03-2005 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:38 PM
oldlib
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Nah, Bucks, we're in the right forum. I suspect it's here to keep us out of the rimfire forums.
I think a lot of us have both.
And your opinions fit with my experience with Remington stuff.
BTW; I was born and raised in Bakersfield, CA. Your namesakes home town. I hung out occasionally with his son, Buddy Allen when we were teens. He looked just like his dad, only bigger.
My claim to fame.
oldlib
Old 09-03-2005, 03:25 PM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I prefer Remington brass over Winchester. That's in general,I have never loaded for the hornet, Winchester (or at least the new stuff) done something to the primer pockets, they have a radius at the base of the where the flash hole is that I care nothing for...
Old 09-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Max Velocity

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Howdy George

Howdy George,
Good choice. What kind of press/dies did you select?
Have you decided on a bullet to start with?
Here's a page you may find interesting:
22 Hornet with 33 gr TNT HP bullet
Be sure to read what they have to say about primers in the Hornet.
Glad you found the book useful.
Max

Last edited by Max Velocity; 09-03-2005 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:08 PM
oldlib
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I got RCBS press (says RCll on it), and dies for both 22 hornet and k-hornet. Most of the stuff I got is RCBS, and used. I liked the 10/10 scale because it's mechanical, not digital. I've got a good pair of reading glasses.
So far, I have 40 and 45gr. bullets. I'll get some of the smaller ones when I get the powder. The book reccommends IMR 4227 with a 45gr bullet to start. Is that a good choice? Any specific brand? I can get picky after I get some experience.
I also got a couple Lyman log books to keep track of all this.
I have a .32acp carry gun (Tomcat) I'm likely going to reload for. Factory ammo is pretty cheap, buy what the heck.
Well, in a week or two I should be set up and ready to go.
BTW; Are "reloading" and "Handloading" two names for the same thing? I kinda like the sound of "handloading" better.
Anyway, thanks
George