Marlin 81 wont go into battery, and what is this piece?!?? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:13 PM
EOTS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin 81 wont go into battery, and what is this piece?!??

Scored this from a buddy. Gun is 95%,,,,,
But wont go into battery. Bolt wont lock down, this is as far as it will go

Also, im 75% sure this little piece fell out of the action. Its stamped steel. It's NOT the lip from one of the extractor tangs, as I previously thought
Sooo??

Old 11-22-2017, 10:30 PM
ferg
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Part is cartridge guide spring. See that divot on the top of the bolt? It rides in there when the bolt is closed. Open the bolt and look at the top of the breech face. You will probably see the rest of the guide spring bent down towards the chamber opening. That's why the bolt won't close. Replacement is a bit of a bear. Take a screwdriver or pliers and break off the bent part. That part is supposed to guide short into the chamber. If not using shorts, no problem.

Item #12
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...fles-marlin/81

Last edited by ferg; 11-22-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:41 PM
EOTS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg View Post
Part is cartridge guide spring. See that divot on the top of the bolt? It rides in there when the bolt is closed. Open the bolt and look at the top of the breech face. You will probably see the rest of the guide spring bent down towards the chamber opening. That's why the bolt won't close. Replacement is a bit of a bear. Take a screwdriver or pliers and break off the bent part. That part is supposed to guide short into the chamber. If not using shorts, no problem.

Item #12
Maybe I'm tired (drunk)
So, Unless I intend to run shorts (uh, nope) I can break off the remainder, and rock on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2017, 10:51 PM
scooter22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'll bet your friend was using a bore snake and snagged it. Started seeing a lot of bent/broken cartridge guides since they came out.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:47 PM
ferg
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOTS View Post
Maybe I'm tired (drunk)
So, Unless I intend to run shorts (uh, nope) I can break off the remainder, and rock on?
Yep.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:06 PM
EOTS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg View Post

Item #12
You were spot-on
Remaining piece was in the way.
Tried to retrieve the rest of it, but broke the tip off. Regardless, this now allowed the bolt to close, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to replace the entire unit, as the gun wont feed a round. Appears it needs the guide spring to get the nose of the bullet down enough, where it will feed.
As it stands, its hitting the top of the chamber
Also, its not extracting the spent round, so ill order a new extractor while im at it.

I'll have to remove the barrel anyhow, as im going to mill the factory dovetail flat, so I can drill/tap the receiver to accommodate an EGW Picitinny/Weaver mount.

Old 11-23-2017, 02:48 PM
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Try pinching the front of the feed lips in slightly to hold the round at the proper angle.

Mals
Old 11-23-2017, 07:40 PM
gunfossil
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mals9 View Post
Try pinching the front of the feed lips in slightly to hold the round at the proper angle.

Mals
What MALS9 said but first slowly cycle a round and see if it goes straight towards the chamber. If so bend both lips in slightly. If it points to the right bend the right lip only etc. The closer you get to centering, the better it will feed without damaging the soft lead bullet tip.
This is a pita but will get them to load great without the guide.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:56 PM
EOTS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunfossil View Post
What MALS9 said but first slowly cycle a round and see if it goes straight towards the chamber. If so bend both lips in slightly. If it points to the right bend the right lip only etc. The closer you get to centering, the better it will feed without damaging the soft lead bullet tip.
This is a pita but will get them to load great without the guide.
Thanks, will do!
Old 11-23-2017, 11:59 PM
EOTS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
I'll bet your friend was using a bore snake and snagged it. Started seeing a lot of bent/broken cartridge guides since they came out.

The gun came to me loaded, and jammed up, with what appeared to be ammo that was 5 decades old, still jammed in the action.
The gun was given to him.

Imo, it jammed/broke very shortly after it was purchased, put away, and forgotten.
The overall condition, and pristine looking barrel tells me it didn't see much use.