Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:25 AM
minuteshaver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
magazine feeding

I managed to get some reply back from marlin. I asked them if their 22 rimfires with detachable magazines could feed shorts or longs.

they said they should feed 22 long and 22 long rifle, but that shorts were a possibility but no way to predict the outcome.

I am wondering if anyone here wants to "take one for the team" and try to load some 22 shorts into their detachable magazine and see if it feeds from them.

manually pulling the bolt back and letting go and actually trying to shoot.

im curious if the bolt guns will have better luck then the semi auto detachable magazine guns.

Also, the Model 60 manual says it can use shorts and longs, but that they aren't recommended for safety reasons, no listing of these safety reasons.

Anyone care to try to get short through a model 60 for science?

And can any one try CCI CB SHORT OR LONG as well?
Old 11-01-2017, 08:34 AM
Marlin567994
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't have any 22 Short or 22 Long to try in the current Marlin box magazines. However, if you really need to shoot 22 Short out of a detachable box magazine go find a Marlin 80 / Glenfield 25 bolt rifle. Its magazine will feed 22LR, 22L and 22S.

For the #71902 Marlin magazine, I would imagine a bolt rifle would feed long and short as long as you went slowly and ensured the round was entering the chamber. I would think that with the tolerances stacking on a mass produced semi-auto, it would be totally rifle dependent if the semi auto would feed the longs or shorts.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...und-steel-blue

Old 11-01-2017, 11:19 AM
gunfossil
US Army

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lots of people have tried shorts and other very low power rimfires in M60 type rifles. I've never heard of any success even with significant modification. Feeding is one thing but cycling is another. Those mods generally make the rifle unreliable with regular ammo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2017, 11:25 AM
LarDaBear
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin567994 View Post
I don't have any 22 Short or 22 Long to try in the current Marlin box magazines. However, if you really need to shoot 22 Short out of a detachable box magazine go find a Marlin 80 / Glenfield 25 bolt rifle. Its magazine will feed 22LR, 22L and 22S.

For the #71902 Marlin magazine, I would imagine a bolt rifle would feed long and short as long as you went slowly and ensured the round was entering the chamber. I would think that with the tolerances stacking on a mass produced semi-auto, it would be totally rifle dependent if the semi auto would feed the longs or shorts.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...und-steel-blue

I have a JC Higgins version,not sure of the model number right now as it's buried in a safe, of a Marlin 80 (it was the one J&G had for sale a few weeks ago without a mag,paid $90 for it in excellent condition) and the newer plastic follower magazine like the one you pictured and they will NOT feed .22 shorts.
I have an older metal follower mag around somewhere that I'll have to see if it feeds shorts.