Help me choose my Buck Mark, - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:14 AM
Dodgeboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I was under the impression that the Hunter was UFX (by looking at it). What you posted makes me question this and I don't think Browning's site specifies the frame.

I'm picking up a new Hunter for the Black Friday rebate so I'm interested in this. I like the grips on the gun and don't plan to change them but it would be good information to know.

Also, nice tip on the Weaver rail!

Last edited by Dodgeboy; 10-31-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:05 AM
MarkLH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just spoke w/ Browning customer support..

and they say: Buck Mark has 4 different frames..

UDX
URX
UFX ..
and: " Standard "

and the Hunter is a Standard Frame..

as you note Dodgeboy.. I'm not planning on changing grips.. I like the ones it comes with .. but nice to know at least: what to look for if I change my mind at some point...
Old 10-31-2017, 11:57 AM
spiel
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLH View Post
Just spoke w/ Browning customer support..

and they say: Buck Mark has 4 different frames..

UDX
URX
UFX ..
and: " Standard "

and the Hunter is a Standard Frame..

as you note Dodgeboy.. I'm not planning on changing grips.. I like the ones it comes with .. but nice to know at least: what to look for if I change my mind at some point...
Mark, Did you ask Browning about the rail? The catalog describes it as a picatinny, but the pic shows a weaver.

I thought there were just the 3 frames, with the UFX being the "Standard".

Thanks, Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2017, 12:40 PM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis299 View Post
This site may help explain the differences between the two.

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn...aspx?lid=10724
Strangely, that link didn't work for me, even though the lid number is correct. This link worked for me:
https://www.brownells.com/guntech/pi....htm?lid=10724
Old 10-31-2017, 12:42 PM
MarkLH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Jim, .. re: the Weaver Rail

I did actually.. and the customer service rep and I agreed: looks to be inaccurate info.. as it sure doesn't LOOK like a Picatinny

Let's say one were to put on a standard slab 5.5" barrel.. I'm guessing that rail would NOT work..as it seems to have some customized aspect to fit the Hunter Bull Barrel profile.. .. the barrel and rail on the Hunter seem to "go together"

so changing barrels would require: changing the strap/rail also ..

Note: the Hunter Rib is an expensive little bugger... $86
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/B5150024

it's as expensive as: the Hunter Barrel
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/B5150021
Old 10-31-2017, 12:57 PM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiel View Post
I thought there were just the 3 frames, with the UFX being the "Standard".
Unless something changed very recently, yes, there are 3 grip frames, and the UFX grip frame is the same as the "Standard" grip frame. I think the difference between UFX and Standard is the grip panels, not the grip frame. The UFX has the rubber-insert grip panels (frequently seen on UFX Camper and UFX Lite), while Standard has the wood grip panels (as seen on Hunter, Field, Target, and Field-Target models). I've not tried it myself, but I believe that UFX and Standard grip panels are interchangeable.

I wish Browning would be consistent about putting the grip frame designation in the model name, as that would reduce the confusion. Of course, I also wish they had used meaningful names for the different grip frames instead of the UFX, URX, and UDX, which you need the special decoder ring to understand. Would "Standard", "Small", and "Fingergroove" have been so bad?

Dave

Last edited by rdas; 11-02-2017 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Added diff between UFX and Standard grip panels.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:04 PM
MarkLH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
re: Decoder Ring.. LOL !

as a new guy.. I gotta admit .. wondered why the cryptic nomenclature..

anyway: when I called Browning. the customer service gal said: she too didn't know what the Hunter Grip frame was..

put me on hold.. went to get a manager.. came back and I could hear the person in the background explaining to her - " UDX, URX, UFX, and a Standard.. and the Hunter is the standard "

. note also my reference to the Midwest Gunworks Hunter grip part description makes a special point to say: will NOT fit UDX, URX or UFX Frame..

I don't have any hands on experience with these... visually: the Hunter sure seems to look like the UFX profile ( little bend at the bottom back side of the grip )
Old 10-31-2017, 08:21 PM
Dodgeboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I found a good thread on the frame types. If you scroll down a bit they list models/sizes and it lists the Hunter as UFX.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ght=hunter+ufx
Old 11-01-2017, 10:39 AM
MarkLH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tnx Dodgeboy for the link.. good info

Not the first time I guess there is a discrepancy between publicly disseminated info, and info direct from the Vendor.. ie. aside from Grip.. the Hunter Rail is listed as Picatinny, whilst it's been noted by forum members that it's Weaver ..

Re: Grip ..
Still makes me unsure: why does MidWestGunWorks goes to such specific effort.. to put the disclaimer on the Hunter Grip description:

Description: Browning Buckmark Grip Set Cocobolo Hunter. NOTE: This grip set will not fit UDX, UFX or URX models.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:12 PM
Waterking566
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mark - I wrote the posting that Dodgeboy referenced. Browning only makes three different frame sizes for the Buck Mark pistol and the Hunter is a UFX frame size. Many of these gun part suppliers have not taken the time to properly sort out the products that they sell, even Browning has not done a very good job of explaining (identifying) each model's frame size. Hope this helps. WK
Old 11-01-2017, 12:14 PM
MarkLH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting.. scanning Google ..

I see what LOOKS to be a Hunter ( barrel and rail.. )

but in what appears to be the URX frame/rubber grip ..

cool .. !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buck Mark Hunter URX.jpg (22.4 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by MarkLH; 12-05-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:51 PM
Little Crow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I chose the Buck Mark Hunter for the longer barrel and rail that it comes with. The grips are nicer in my opinion as well. I think it balances very well - though I have never shot a shorter barreled Buck Mark for comparison.

I shoot a bulls-eye league with it and do very well with an inexpensive red dot that someone gave me. I will be upgrading that after this season.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:29 PM
Marc88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLH View Post
Interesting.. scanning Google ..

I see what LOOKS to be a Hunter ( barrel and rail.. )

but in what appears to be the URX frame/rubber grip ..

cool .. !
The the picture of the BM Hunter with the URX frame you posted is actually a pellet pistol. I am pretty sure all buckmarks have UFX frames. I bought one (the pellet pistol). The wife and I enjoy it. Up until a couple years ago my wife had never fired a handgun, the buckmark pellet pistol (made by umarex) helped her train for shooting my buckmarks without upsetting the neighbors. It helped her alot and she took to the real brownings like a duck to water. She has since moved up to larger centerfire handguns but the buckmarks are still her favorite. We still plink with the buckmark pellet pistol (when actual rangetime is out of the question)and enjoy it alot. It isn't very powerful and accuracy is subpar but up to about 15' it is a fairly quiet hoot to shoot. And it is legal to discharge in city limits!

Last edited by Marc88; 11-01-2017 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Adding more info
Old 11-01-2017, 08:51 PM
MarkLH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does anyone know how the Hunter long barrel affects velocity ..? of HV 1235 fps or SV 1070 fps ...

or is 5.5” barrel compared to 7.25” not enough to alter bullet speeds / behavior ...?
Old 11-01-2017, 10:39 PM
Dodgeboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's a chart that shows velocity and barrel length:
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html