Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:50 AM
fultznet

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Barrel Wobble

Recently I purchased all the components from Kidd to build a 10/22. I got the stainless steel match grade barrel. receiver, bolt and an amazing two stage trigger. After that, I purchased a Pro Varmint stock from Boyd's and it is a beautiful work of art. The problem that I am having is that I can move the barrel from side too side in the stock. All the screws that hold it together are tight. The barrel does float in the stock and I'm wondering if this is normal and if I should be worried about it at all. The rifle does shoot pretty good . Can anyone provide some insight on this ?
Old 09-25-2017, 10:38 AM
Travelor
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via Yahoo to Travelor
I think you are going to need to bed the action. I bed the rear of the action and about 1" foreward of the rear. I also bed the first 1" of the barre in front of the clamp holding the barrel to the action. Do it in two steps - rear of action first.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:46 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ditto on the bedding. There are plenty of tutorials around RFC to do it right.
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2017, 01:57 AM
azguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Your issue is probably a loose inlet on the Boyd's stock. Not uncommon at all. I have measured up to 1.285, for the inlet width. When the receiver is only 1.250. Without the rear of the receiver being bedded, including up the side a bit, you can move the end of the barrel quite a ways, rotating around the radial axis of the takedown screw.

When I do a stock Accurizing job I install the Kidd Rear Tang and bed it, as well as the first inch or so of the receiver inlet side shelves. I also add a bedded front pillar. After that is all done there IS NO MOVEMENT AT ALL, in ANY axis. Rock solid shooting platform.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:10 AM
fultznet

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the insight

Wow !!! This is great news !! Thanks for all your insight !! Now the scary part, I've never bedded a rifle before. Thanks again !!
Old 09-26-2017, 12:15 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
You can use aluminum duct sealing tape to do an easy "bedding" job. See the info in the Super Stock Forum.