Laminate Stocks - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:44 PM
hawkeye62
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Laminate Stocks

What is the verdict on laminate stocks? Don't care about looks. Do they need pillars or any bedding? I am into bench rest, trying for small one hole five shot groups.

Jim
Old 09-22-2017, 09:55 AM
Plinkhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't know what the verdict is but laminated stocks are heavier, stiffer and less suspect to temp and humidity changes than non lam stocks. I see hardcore benchrest shooters at the range using them.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:46 AM
Litetrigger1
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinkhead View Post
I don't know what the verdict is but laminated stocks are heavier, stiffer and less suspect to temp and humidity changes than non lam stocks. I see hardcore benchrest shooters at the range using them.
Laminated stocks can be, and often are, astonishingly light. Especially those used on benchrest rifles where weight is a premium. Attached is photo of a Light Varmint Class bench rifle. (Max allowed weight is 10-1/2 lbs. with scope) with stock made of laminations of curly western cedar and layers of carbon fiber. Stock was made by Terry Leonard whose stocks have been on record setting rifles. The action is not bedded in usual fashion but actually glued into the stock
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0070.jpg (499.3 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2017, 12:05 PM
noremf
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Laminate Stocks

Could be wrong but I think the OP is talking about laminates like so:

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Searc...inate%20stocks

Where the lamination is vertical with a bunch of laminates, not horizontal with only a few like maybe two.

Terry, for the most part, uses horizontal lamination's rather then vertical. Ala:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?vi...cks&ajaxhist=0

and

http://www.bing.com/images/search?vi...electedIndex=2

noremf(George).

Last edited by noremf; 09-22-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:48 PM
Litetrigger1
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Laminated stocks can also be quite beautiful, especially when the stock is sculpted so that the contrasting laminations add depth and contrast, as shown in a couple of stocks in attached photos. Also, contrasting colors add variety, as shown in other attached photos, adding a distinctive character and interest to the stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0073.jpg (497.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0076.jpg (472.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0077.jpg (469.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0074.jpg (496.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0072.jpg (465.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-22-2017, 04:49 PM
hawkeye62

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thanks for the great info guys. Yes, I am talking about the vertical laminates. Specifically the Richards Microfit stocks. Any advice regarding Richards? The stock I am thinking about is only available in the 96% inlet version.

Best regards, Jim
Old 09-23-2017, 11:23 AM
Nor Cal Mikie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you're concerned about weight, I would stick with a sporter style stock. I just got started into 10/22 BR builds. I prefer a heavy stock like I use on my center fire bench guns so I go with a Thumbhole style with a 3" forearm. (think fence post)
With a rimfire rig, I would expect next to ZERO recoil. Richard's Micro Fit has the best selection of styles going and the price is right too. Just finished one and another BR style stock should be her any day now. The only bedding I'am doing on the 10/22 is under the barrel block. Keep a bit of daylight under the barrel and have fun.
Action fits the stock inlet and your hand like a glove.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:39 PM
hawkeye62

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
If you're concerned about weight, I would stick with a sporter style stock. I just got started into 10/22 BR builds. I prefer a heavy stock like I use on my center fire bench guns so I go with a Thumbhole style with a 3" forearm. (think fence post)
With a rimfire rig, I would expect next to ZERO recoil. Richard's Micro Fit has the best selection of styles going and the price is right too. Just finished one and another BR style stock should be her any day now. The only bedding I'am doing on the 10/22 is under the barrel block. Keep a bit of daylight under the barrel and have fun.
Action fits the stock inlet and your hand like a glove.
Thanks for the reply. I want a bench rest stock. Three inch wide forearm, butt straight with barrel. Weight of minor concern.

When you say "finished one" what did you have to do to the stock to make it fit your rifle?

Regards, Jim