Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:06 PM
Renegade61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Book on Browning 22's

There is a great book on Browning 22s labeled:

BROWNING .22 CALIBER RIFLES 1914 - 1991 BY Homer C. Tyler.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:16 PM
A square 10
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
crud , after revisiting i now have to have one of these
Old 03-03-2015, 09:48 PM
Browning guy

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade61 View Post
There is a great book on Browning 22s labeled:

BROWNING .22 CALIBER RIFLES 1914 - 1991 BY Homer C. Tyler.
Homer actually published 3 books on the Browning 22s. The first was a small soft cover and then 2 hardcovers-one with a brown cover and the other with a black cover. I feel fortunate to have all three-the 2 hardcovers were signed by Homer.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:41 PM
Renegade61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Book on Browning 22's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning guy View Post
Homer actually published 3 books on the Browning 22s. The first was a small soft cover and then 2 hardcovers-one with a brown cover and the other with a black cover. I feel fortunate to have all three-the 2 hardcovers were signed by Homer.
I have the brown cover special edition #62 of 100.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:59 PM
Lawrence

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Franken Trombone

So....I ordered a Trombone off the internet from a LGS (not local to me) and from the less than ideal pictures I could see that it was marked unusually from what we normally see in Canada. The sights and wood are correct although the rear sight elevator is missing. The receiver is factory grooved for scope rings.

The s/n is 69W14XX (on the under side of the barrel in front of the magazine tube) and it only has the Perron inside a circle with PV surmounted by a crown. This proof mark is on top of the receiver and on the just in front of it on the barrel. One would suppose 1969 manufacture?

So far so good.

The lower receiver however has a s/n of 518 (the preceding numbers are left off which is often the case), the butt plate is marked 407, the carrier retainer/assembly piece is marked 19X (the last number has been over stamped and looks like an 8 on top of a 0 on top of a 6) and as a grand finale the pump handle has a serial number of 1335XX ~ the last two numbers are not 18 as in 518 like the pump handle.

Crack me up.

My initial suspicion is that this is more than two rifles which have been mis-assembled at some point. Usually in this case the uppers match and the lowers match but I have never seen such a variety of s/n on a Trombone. Additionally there is a distinct lack of inspectors marks as compared to any other Trombone as far I can recall. I will have to go look at some of the later ones to refresh my memory on this point.

However a 1335XX is in the region of being made no later than 1968 so it is possible that this is a factory rifle made up of whatever was at hand for whatever reason.

Always an adventure with Trombones!

Last edited by Lawrence; 04-20-2017 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:49 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe a Johnny Cash special?
Old 08-24-2017, 09:07 PM
Lawrence

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A new (to me) Trombone arrived a few days ago looking in rough shape, what was described as surface rust but other wise complete.A low serial number, in the 20,000 range. The 'surface' rust was in fact mostly grime and the rear sight straightened up nicely. The bolt, pump rails and muzzle cleaned up very well. Even the brass mag tube shines. All in all a different rifle.

Pre cleaning;

Post cleaning

Old 08-24-2017, 10:05 PM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
That is the kind of surprise I LIKE to get when buying a gun! Have fun with your new Trombone.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:31 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
So....I ordered a Trombone off the internet from a LGS (not local to me) and from the less than ideal pictures I could see that it was marked unusually from what we normally see in Canada. The sights and wood are correct although the rear sight elevator is missing. The receiver is factory grooved for scope rings.

The s/n is 69W14XX (on the under side of the barrel in front of the magazine tube) and it only has the Perron inside a circle with PV surmounted by a crown. This proof mark is on top of the receiver and on the just in front of it on the barrel. One would suppose 1969 manufacture?

So far so good.

The lower receiver however has a s/n of 518 (the preceding numbers are left off which is often the case), the butt plate is marked 407, the carrier retainer/assembly piece is marked 19X (the last number has been over stamped and looks like an 8 on top of a 0 on top of a 6) and as a grand finale the pump handle has a serial number of 1335XX ~ the last two numbers are not 18 as in 518 like the pump handle.

Crack me up.

My initial suspicion is that this is more than two rifles which have been mis-assembled at some point. Usually in this case the uppers match and the lowers match but I have never seen such a variety of s/n on a Trombone. Additionally there is a distinct lack of inspectors marks as compared to any other Trombone as far I can recall. I will have to go look at some of the later ones to refresh my memory on this point.

However a 1335XX is in the region of being made no later than 1968 so it is possible that this is a factory rifle made up of whatever was at hand for whatever reason.

Always an adventure with Trombones!
A mixmaster, I would think.The 69W number indicates that it was produced for Browning,to be sold in the US by Browning as a 1969 model.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:55 PM
Lawrence

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Trombone Cleaning

I cleaned up a Trombone today and I found these in the buttstock;

Enough to start a fire if needed; you can see the matches inside.

Before cleaning;

After cleaning;

The seller described the bore as 'very dark' as a warning. It was simply dirty and it's spotless now that it's been pushed through.

All the numbers match and it's all original with the exception of the forend screws, a pit of a pity about the cr*p varnish job to the wood. It only cost me $300...

I'll try and post a better photo tomorrow when it's reassembled.

Last edited by Lawrence; 08-31-2018 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:31 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (93)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning guy View Post
i do not have the soft cover i will have to look for that one. I do have the signed hardbound copies tho.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:12 PM
Niemann77

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is my first time posting on this forum but it looks like I've found another avid trombone collector (Lawrence specifically) so I figured I'd post some pictures of my collection! I only have 9 but they are all 95% plus condition and 5 have boxes. There are 2 US marked guns, 2 Deluxe versions (I have another on the way that I'll post soon!), and the rest are standard FN guns (2 are consecutively serial numbered).

Last edited by Niemann77; 12-19-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:08 AM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemann77 View Post
This is my first time posting on this forum but it looks like I've found another avid trombone collector (Lawrence specifically) so I figured I'd post some pictures of my collection! I only have 9 but they are all 95% plus condition and 5 have boxes. There are 2 US marked guns, 2 Deluxe versions (I have another on the way that I'll post soon!), and the rest are standard FN guns (2 are consecutively serial numbered).
Nice first post!! You really should start a thread with lots of pics. Just sayin’...

Old 12-18-2017, 02:44 PM
Lawrence

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemann77 View Post
You know 10 is better than 9 ..... just saying!

Very nice collection...
Old 12-18-2017, 02:47 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Lawrence,
Have you encountered more than a couple with a broken firing pin?