Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:33 PM
Guy
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Opportunity

Seems like a great opportunity to create a different forend yourself! It's a fairly simple project for this rifle and could be a lot of fun!
Old 03-15-2017, 09:05 PM
.22fanatic
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I may just do that.

I've never had the fore end off and looking at it more closely it almost looks like it's a glue-in vs. bedded. I didn't have time to do more than look but will as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2017, 01:51 PM
.22fanatic

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Ok, you guys got me! Not only am I not going to sell the 12/15 but I'm going to try my hand at refinishing the metal (rust blueing) and replacing the stocks. I'll do my best to record the project as I go and post updates.

I just received a set of replacement stocks from Gunstocks, Inc. and they seem fine (plain walnut but exactly as described, very fast shipping, and a very fair price I think) but, there is a chip out of the top of the butt stock where it meets the butt plate, a very visible location. I've emailed the company to see if there is a recommended product to try to fill it or if I should return it. What do you guys think? It's not very large but if I fill it I don't want to see it when finished.

Also, I need to locate a forearm attaching screw and if there is an escutcheon pressed into the forend screw hole I'll need that as well. The current BR forearm is attached by way of a custom band around the barrel and I'l like to return it to original. So far no luck finding parts after lots of time spent looking. I have emails into Airgun parts and another UK company so we'll see if they have anything. If anyone happens to have spares please let me know! Oh, and a butt plate too!

The weather is crap so it seems like a good time to begin disassembly!

Last edited by .22fanatic; 03-25-2017 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 03-25-2017, 02:00 PM
Chandos

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I would return the butt stock. It's tough to match a filler to the stock so that it is invisible.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:04 PM
.22fanatic

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Thanks Chandos. That's the direction I'm leaning. If I spend a bunch of time on the stock and repair is visible that will be all I see!
Old 03-25-2017, 02:08 PM
.22fanatic

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I guess one other option would be to cut 1/4" off the back of the stock but I'm not sure how to do that while maintaining a perfectly parallel cut... Hopefully Gunstocks, Inc. is good about replacing it.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:58 PM
Onearm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandos View Post
I would return the butt stock. It's tough to match a filler to the stock so that it is invisible.
Yes. Return the buttstock. There is no reason to accept a defective part of any kind.