Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:56 PM
wil2279

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
what new barrel to put on my 77/22?

Ok so I found some stainless and blues sporter barrels from green mountain. I also like the heavy fluted Clark barrel but I could buy 2 of the green mountain barrels and have $ left in my pocket for the price of 1 Clark barrel. I also have heard that volquartzen, and a couple other companies make 77/22 barrels. Who makes a really good one and where can I order one? Are the green mountain barrels good? Where could I find a fluted stainless heavy barrel for it?
Old 07-18-2016, 11:16 AM
Hippy

TPC Rating: 
78% (5)
The question is a Good'n I will try to answer it the best I can. I have invested about as much time and $$$ into the 77/22 in the past 3 years as I have any rifle that I have EVER owned.

They are factory Assembly line produced with the sole purpose of being a attractive rifle at a reasonable price, and they have achieved that.

Their accuracy is dependent on many factors the Trigger ,action and lastly barrel. The slide in/clamp held attachment is the BIG drawback--they are at times bored off center over/undersized combine this with the over/under size of the Aftermarket barrels therein lies the issue.

IMHO the Green Mountain barrels are the best BANG 4 your $$$ just remember these rifles ARE NOT and where NEVER meant to be BENCHREST rifles . YES you will shoot some groups that will put a smile on your face and that is really all that matters.

Good Luck

Jim
Old 07-18-2016, 12:23 PM
JimHnSTL
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
i second what hippy said and will add to it this thought. if you will want to take this rifle into the field with you to wack tree rats and other critters, i would strongly recommend buying the sporter version opposed to the bull barrel. i find it a bit more user friendly when carrying in the field and the accuracy from them are good. my .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2016, 12:24 PM
wil2279

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippy View Post
The question is a Good'n I will try to answer it the best I can. I have invested about as much time and $$$ into the 77/22 in the past 3 years as I have any rifle that I have EVER owned.

They are factory Assembly line produced with the sole purpose of being a attractive rifle at a reasonable price, and they have achieved that.

Their accuracy is dependent on many factors the Trigger ,action and lastly barrel. The slide in/clamp held attachment is the BIG drawback--they are at times bored off center over/undersized combine this with the over/under size of the Aftermarket barrels therein lies the issue.

IMHO the Green Mountain barrels are the best BANG 4 your $$$ just remember these rifles ARE NOT and where NEVER meant to be BENCHREST rifles . YES you will shoot some groups that will put a smile on your face and that is really all that matters.

Good Luck

Jim
Thanks for the info... I was hoping to find a stainless fluted heavy barrel from green mountain but only see the spotter barrels. My have to settle for one of those. I'm just setting the gun up as a hunting rifle although it would be nice to get some good groups with it. It's a pretty good shooter with the factory barrel to be honest.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:10 PM
donie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was going to buy a replacement barrel for my 1989 walnut with iron sights I bought new, but, I didn't want to loose my iron sights.
Checking out the chamber of this rifle, it appeared to have a Bentz auto match chamber, that was about .030" deeper then spec, I faced the barrel back to that Bentz for length spec.
At the same time I cut the barrels shoulder to take up most of the .0045"of bolt play instead of using shims. Finished off with a recessed target crown. Doing those things brought to my attention problems with the extractor and the inner one that is actually a cartridge guide. The pocket on the face of the bolt had to be relieved another .002" to obtain about .0005" clearance to the barrels face so as to be close as possible without the cartridge rim binding.
I then pillar bedded the action, and free floated the barrel, adding a measured amount of pressure at the end of the fore stock "4 1/2 pounds".
I worked over the trigger parts and added a trigger over travel screw adjustment. For that matter, I worked over everything that moves on this rifle, and now its really slick and smooth in its basic operations.
The results so far has exceeded my expectations, and to find how good it is, I will have someone who is a better shot test it then shaky old me.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:13 AM
wdl002

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have you checked out CPC?, Randy did a VBZ for me and it turned out to be a real shooter, 5/8 @ 50yds with Winchester PowerPoints and under 1/2 @ 50yds with target ammo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2016, 09:52 PM
SquirrelAssassin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Send a message via Yahoo to SquirrelAssassin
Take a look at Shilen. They make some excellent barrels. I have one on my 77/22, and I love it.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:14 PM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (37)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelAssassin View Post
Take a look at Shilen. They make some excellent barrels. I have one on my 77/22, and I love it.
I have two of the Shilen varmint contours. Good price and they shoot better than I do!
Old 07-31-2016, 08:29 PM
nortatoga
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I too went with a Shilen (Factory contour) barrel about 5 or 6 years ago on my 2000 model year 77/22, And could not be happier!! I have shot 10rd groups a dime can cover at 50 yards off a benchrest with CCI-SV ammo!
Old 08-09-2016, 01:39 PM
roentgenranger
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shilen here too! Mine'll do .25 at 50 or better with SK Standard Plus, .5 with bulk...
Old 08-10-2016, 11:38 PM
JFK10/22

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have a stainless Clark on my boat paddle 77/22 .22 magnum from the era when their company was located in Princeton, LA. LOVE IT !!
Old 08-11-2016, 06:29 PM
SquirrelAssassin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Send a message via Yahoo to SquirrelAssassin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelAssassin View Post
Oh yeah. I'm using CCI Mini Mags HP's.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:49 AM
Santafe402

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a green mountain barrel on on my 77/17 and 10/22 and couldn't be happier. They are excellent barrels at a good price.

Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk