Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:27 PM
Luvthemtorts
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
A fine day indeed

Received the synthetic stock and bolt shims I had been waiting on and headed to the range. While the wind was blowing pretty stiff I still managed to to get everything assembled and sighted in between gusts.
Overall, I am pretty pleased since the wind was blowing and I only had cheap bulk ammo with me so I am am hopeful that some decent match ammo will really shine.
After sighting in I decided to try and take care of a pesky groundhog we have been after for a few weeks. The thing was absolutely tearing up our drainage ditches so I set up on a path I knew he took from the range to the woods. His luck ran out today and the little rifle proves its worth in the field.
Overall a fine day indeed !

Looking pretty on the bench

Best group of the day. 5 shots at 50 yards.

The offending critter. Hated to do it but his digging was flooding the range.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:56 PM
JimHnSTL

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
No flys on that rig. Nice shooting.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:56 PM
SquirrelAssassin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Send a message via Yahoo to SquirrelAssassin
Awesome shooting. Tell us about your 77/22 .

Last edited by SquirrelAssassin; 07-04-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2016, 09:33 AM
Eric-WD
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking good, glad you got it shooting.with that kind of accuracy, I would buy a case of that ammo if I could find it.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:45 PM
Luvthemtorts

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Thanks for the replies folks.

The gun started as a walnut stocked rifle I picked up in a trade. The gentleman I got it from said it would shoot inch sized groups at 25 yards which I thought was kind of odd, however I proceeded with the trade anyway hoping I could squeeze more out of it.
My first range trip found that the fella wasn't far off about the accuracy since the little gun struggled despite experimenting with several different types of ammo. After finding the ammo it shot best and most consistently, I decided to shim the barrel a bit to give it a tiny bit of upwards pressure which shrunk the groups significantly.
Next up was bedding the front of the action and tang, and floating the barrel in the walnut stock, which honestly had no effect whatsoever on accuracy, however I was almost obsessed at this point to make it more accurate since I wanted to make it my primary early season squirrel gun.
After doing a bit of research I decided to switch to a synthetic stock since our summers and early fall are typically quite humid. I figured it would eliminate one variable since the walnut could potentially be affected by the changes in humidity. I also ordered a shim kit for the bolt after reading several posts about the sloppiness between the bolt halves.
Once everything came in I hit the range bright and early the following day and started my experimentation. With the action now sitting in the synthetic stock I used the shim kit to get a nice solid lockup of the bolt (ended up requiring .002 to achieve this). I then cleaned the barrel thoroughly and started my shooting session with Federal AM22. After three magazines to foul the barrel the changes in accuracy were apparent since the gun was now shooting tighter groups much more consistently. Satisfied that I had achieved the best accuracy I was going to get with the Federal I repeated the above process with several other brands of ammo I had brought along to experiment with. With little exception, the gun shot each brand quite well so I then decided to start over to see if I could squeeze out anymore accuracy by tweaking the torque on the action bolts. I went through the entire process again with each brand of ammo, shooting one magazine and then making adjustments while tightening the action screws (started at 15 inch pounds). As you can see from the target, things got really exciting when I reached 30 inch pounds on the front and 25 inch pounds on the rear. Unfortunately, by this time I was out of ammo with the exception of the AM22, however the gun shot it so well I kept going with the range session. Tightening the screws a bit more I noticed a point of diminishing returns and the groups started getting less consistent so I decided to end at the 30 and 25 that worked so well.
Next up I spent the time to let the barrel cool between each shot to replicate the typical scenario that is encountered when hunting, so I fired one shot, waited 10 minutes and fired another, repeating this to get a true cold bore zero. Finally, I then fired groups of five to ensure all was well and called it good.
All told, I fired a little over 800 rounds of ammo and spent 9 hours at the bench but I feel the effort was well worth it. To have the confidence I now have with the guns ability to perform, provided I do my part, is very satisfying indeed.
Sorry for the long post but figured I'd post what worked for me and how I got there.

Last edited by Luvthemtorts; 07-03-2016 at 01:49 PM.