17M2 Barrel?

For what gun?

S/SP
Old 09-19-2004, 11:57 AM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
In the first post of the thread he stated that he wanted one for the P22 Walther. This IMO very unlikely to happen. With CCI's warnings that the 17m2 is unsuitable for semi auto rifles and Ruger now dragging their feet on producing the 17 MKIII I just don't see it.

The Ruger is an all steel gun and very strong but the problem is that the 17m2 has a pressure curve that the manufactures feel is unsuitable for semi's. The Walther has an alloy frame and just not as strong from what I see here at RFC. With the major 10/22 barrel companies backing out of the scene it would seem that the only handguns that you will see the 17 in soon are going to be bolts, revolvers and single shots. Maybe Volquartson may try it in a version of their Cheetah.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:58 PM
D.O.A.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I at least want to get a company interested in the idea so they can research it. Wouldn't a stronger spring take care of this problem? As far as the frame not being strong enough, I don't see how it couldn't handle the abuse from such a light round. The P99 has the same material frame and handles the 40 S&W just fine, I would think the P22 would be stronger(comparatively speaking) with the fixed barrel design. I know there is a very big difference in velocities but with it having a 17 grain slug I don't see how it could cause such a problem. If there is a site with the info of the problem please link it.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:17 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I don't know how to do a link but there have been a number of threads on the subject in the .17 forum and the 10/22 forums. Try an advanced search. Volquartson just answered over there that the bolt on their version of the 10/22 had to be made 22% heavier. Magnum Reasearch and E.Arthor Brown are also offering "kits" to convert 10/22 with heavier bolts and springs so it appears that if you wanted to convert P22 you would need barrel/slide/springs to start with.

Bye the way VQ's kit costs $318, others are a bit less. What it comes down to is that it costs well more than the gun to convert it. That is on a high production gun where they expect to sell alot of them. 10/22 bolts would seem to be much easier to produce and easier to sell than same stuff for P22. I guess it comes down to the old racing sayings "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?" or "Faster, sure we can make it faster, all it takes are cubic DOLLAR$". Heck, I hope everyone gets what they want but I just don't see it happening. Good luck with it.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:39 PM
SOUTHERN S/PAW

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
17M2 Barrel?

Vincent has the Info,

I have been shooting a 17 aguila in a 10/22 ( Sorry I know this is the Walther
Chapter) even the Aguila cartridge exhibits less pressure than the 17hm2
and I had problems with the bolt opening too soon ie: the bullet had not exited the barrel and the bolt was already moving back.

I was advised of several mods to make to retard the movement of the bolt
these modifications worked to some extent, but not perfectly, not until I
Installed a Kidd trigger group the Kidd hammer is has considerably more resistence on the cocking force and that did the trick of holding the bolt forward just a few mili-seconds for the bullet to exit the barrel.then retract.
The after market folks are going to sell a combo system barrel/bolt and that gets expensive. As Vincent stated " cubic DOLLAR$" and where it's going to do them the most for their investment. example the 10/22.

S/SP
Old 09-19-2004, 03:47 PM
D.O.A.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well thnx for the info I'll see what they say at WPGBC. Would make a great firing rate if it was fully auto eh?
Old 10-21-2004, 12:20 PM
D.O.A.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I haven't given up on the idea yet. They found out how to take care of the pressure problem in the 10/22's so I'm contacting one more place to see if they are interested. Seriously how many of you would buy one and what are you willing to pay?