London Small Arms Co. Ltd (LSA) Martini-Henry .22 Conversion - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:44 AM
1srelluc

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
London Small Arms Co. Ltd (LSA) Martini-Henry .22 Conversion

I picked up this London Small Arms Co. Ltd (LSA) Martini-Henry .22 conversion this past Saturday. I into it for around $175.00.

It was converted from a 1888 MK IV so it's a antique. From what I understand they were converted around the turn of the last century. They just utilized the stock that was on the M-H.

This one was done by LSA for the Society of Miniature Rifle Clubs...S.M.R.C.. I love their "Look Forward" motto.

The bore was filthy but cleaned-up really nice. The front sight was replaced with a Parker-Hale and though it's at a odd looking angle it works quite well. I still am searching for a the proper BSA #20 front sight to go with the BSA #8 rear.

The rear military sight is missing the end notch (one on the way) but I suspect that's due to them being removed when the #8 sight was used. They remarked the military rear sight 0-200 yards for .22 use.

I had the double hooked Parker-Hale rifleman's sling and it was a good match for it.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:16 AM
noremf
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Wow

You stole for $175. That's a joke.

The rear sight alone if it is from that era is easily worth that.

Light a votive candle and say a prayer that it shoots good. If so then you should be arrested. That's a joke also.

noremf(George)
Old 12-01-2014, 10:43 AM
1srelluc

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noremf View Post
You stole for $175. That's a joke.

The rear sight alone if it is from that era is easily worth that.

Light a votive candle and say a prayer that it shoots good. If so then you should be arrested. That's a joke also.

noremf(George)
LOL...To add insult to injury I got two #8 BSA sights with the rifle. I opted to go with the shorter of the two.

Once I figure which one works the best I'll sell the other to help pay for the rifle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2014, 10:48 AM
Kermit1945

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If it's a lousy shooter, you could part it out and pay for Christmas! I've seen #8 rear sights go $300 and more, and when I was looking for an action, would have paid that gladly. Selling the spare sight could easily make you more than you paid for the package. Stock looks pretty nice too.

Last edited by Kermit1945; 12-01-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:02 AM
1srelluc

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit1945 View Post
If it's a lousy shooter, you could part it out and pay for Christmas! I've seen #8 rear sights go $300 and more, and when I was looking for an action, would have paid that gladly. Selling the spare sight could easily make you more than you paid for the package. Stock looks pretty nice too.
There is another where I got this one but it's missing a bunch of parts. The biggest thing being the trigger guard.

The receiver's been scrubbed so I'll have to figure out what mark it is. If memory serves it's a Bonehill conversion but some Brit modified the forearm. I suspect I can get it for under $100.00.

If I think I can get it up to snuff it might make a fun one to scope. I'll check it out next week. Like you say I could always part it out.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:06 PM
Onearm
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Like everyone is saying, you got a great deal. I paid $800 for a similar rifle eight years ago. It had no rear sight. I scoped it with an Unertl 10X. That brought my total investment close to 10 times what you paid:

Old 12-01-2014, 06:09 PM
smlemk111
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You are a bad man that price is theft, only kidding I payed $700.00 for the same MkIV conversion done by LSA except it had the full military wood with the No 8 sight and PH 22 front sight. It was also checkered similarly to yours. I just love the large action Martinis converted to .22 they are fun to collect and shoot.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:15 PM
1srelluc

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlemk111 View Post
You are a bad man that price is theft, only kidding I payed $700.00 for the same MkIV conversion done by LSA except it had the full military wood with the No 8 sight and PH 22 front sight. It was also checkered similarly to yours. I just love the large action Martinis converted to .22 they are fun to collect and shoot.
I found a UK listing for one just like my rifle that was only a couple hundred off on the serial.

I've no idea how old the listing is but what they wanted amounted to about $500.00 US.

http://www.highwoodclassicarms.co.uk...e/martinim.htm

BTW...Did your LSA have that weird angle on the front sight ramp or was it a military dove-tail? I have a PH-22 but I saw no real advantage of using it over what was on it....Same height.

Last edited by 1srelluc; 12-01-2014 at 06:20 PM.