Mares leg ???? - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Skeeve
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Lo-Cal So.Cal., where the money is plastic & the people are too!
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWDER MONKEY View Post
It's too bad that the HENRY MARE'S LEG LEVER ACTION PISTOL is NOT LEGAL IN NEW YORK OR CALIFORNIA.
Not certain if the illegality of the Henry Mare's leg stems from CA's dumb laws on pistols not having a barrel shroud, or just that they never submitted it for testing/certification of "safety." [Note: CA police aren't bound by this law, so they can shoot all the "unsafe" firearms they can get ahold of! How exactly does this make sense? I call upon all manufacturers to refuse to sell any firearms to CA law enforcement until this hare-brained law solely at preventing the poor from practicing their civil right to self-defense is repealed... ]

To answer the OP's question of "What's the purpose?" in case it hasn't been done already [I didn't bother rereading a nearly 2 y.o. thread], the purpose is "to look like Josh Randall's gun from the old Wanted: Dead or Alive t.v. western starring Steve McQueen, ie: to tap into aging baby-boomers discretionary funds!
Old 04-18-2013, 05:57 PM
POWDER MONKEY
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeve View Post
Not certain if the illegality of the Henry Mare's leg stems from CA's dumb laws on pistols not having a barrel shroud, or just that they never submitted it for testing/certification of "safety." [Note: CA police aren't bound by this law, so they can shoot all the "unsafe" firearms they can get ahold of! How exactly does this make sense? I call upon all manufacturers to refuse to sell any firearms to CA law enforcement until this hare-brained law solely at preventing the poor from practicing their civil right to self-defense is repealed... ]

To answer the OP's question of "What's the purpose?" in case it hasn't been done already [I didn't bother rereading a nearly 2 y.o. thread], the purpose is "to look like Josh Randall's gun from the old Wanted: Dead or Alive t.v. western starring Steve McQueen, ie: to tap into aging baby-boomers discretionary funds!
Thank you for that.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 PM
jcc9422
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to jcc9422
Well!!!!!

Let's see, Mare's leg Plus rifle stock equal's one really short rifle. Cool even if it needs to be listed on your pistol permit.

Just thinking out loud.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 AM
bigfatdave
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc9422 View Post
Let's see, Mare's leg Plus rifle stock equal's one really short rifle. Cool even if it needs to be listed on your pistol permit.

Just thinking out loud.
If you want to jump through the silly hoops NFA'34 put in place, it would be a handy little trapper carbine that way.
It would be a SBR, requiring a $200 fee, CLEO signoff or a trust, waiting for the FBATFE to approve it, and various worthless paperwork.

What's a pistol permit?
Old 04-26-2013, 04:11 AM
Glenn-SC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc9422 View Post

Just thinking out loud.
As Dave said, it would be a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) and illegal just to create if you don't already have a permit.

And (I believe) in the eyes of the ATF, once a SBR always a SBR even if you convert it back.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:26 AM
Target-Ed

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mare's Leg in CA

I think you can bring a mare's leg into CA under the Single shot exemption. Put a wood dowel or aluminum rod inside the inner magazine tube...no longer a repeating weapon.
After DROS and 10 day wait, remove the dowel when you get home.

Ed
Old 04-29-2013, 04:07 AM
Glenn-SC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target-Ed View Post
After DROS and 10 day wait, remove the dowel when you get home.

Ed
Wouldn't "removing the dowel" make the gun no longer qualify for the "Single shot exemption" and therefore be illegal again?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Target-Ed

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mare's Leg

Single shot exemption...I know that replacing the hammer in S&W handguns makes them Single Action Only making them roster exempt. As long as the conversion is done prior to DROS and 10 day wait , you dan convert it back after the 10 day wait. It need not remain in that configuration.
Single Shot by putting a fixed magazine and possibly a longer barrel allows certain off roster semi-auto pistols to go through DROS and wait.
I have a feeling blocking the magazine or making a solid no spring inner tube for the magazine will allow it to pass muster for DROS purposes.

Once you get the gun home undo the temporary modifications and you have a legal weapon NOT on the approved roster. Check Cal-Guns for more info on this.
I am building a Charger type pistol with a locked magazine to get around the AW ban on the lowly Ruger Charger

Ed
Old 05-01-2013, 04:06 AM
Glenn-SC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target-Ed View Post
Single shot exemption...
Funny, but there is currently also a discussion of the SSE over at the Beretta Forum.

What they are saying over there is that the Exemption exists ONLY for sales to LE, LE Agencies, or Members of the Military. And that there was a Bill (being voted yesterday) banning resale of these SSE weapons except to those who could have originally bought them from an FFL.

It sound like you should contact the CA DoJ with what you are proposing to do BEFORE YOU DO IT to find out how legal it is.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Target-Ed

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mare's Leg Single Shot

I am going to check with a FFL or two that do Single Shot Exempt transfers regularly.

Ed