Quandry on Henry H001 - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:53 PM
ArmyScout
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I prefer iron sights and they are ok on the range, but at my age a scope makes varmit shooting much easier. Right now I have the scope off. I may email Henry for a replacement rear sight, the one on my H001M is crapola, or I may go with Hi Viz or may just put the scope back on it. Decisions, decisions, decisions. I don't like the looks of a scope on a lever action either. It just aint right.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Flynmoose
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Eyesight has forced me to scope most of my rifles. I like leverguns and had to put scopes on them. If the choice is between using a scope and hitting the target, or irons and missing...I use scopes, don't want to waste ammo these days.
FM
Old 04-22-2013, 05:03 AM
BEARCAT57

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I put a Marbles Bullseye rear sight on mine...I like it a lot (my eyes are 56 years young)
Old 04-23-2013, 02:18 AM
bigfatdave
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You need a H001L model for iron sights

And scopes have no place on leverguns, so then you'd have a H001 and H001L with irons! Problem solved, once and for all!
Or mount the scope and zero it for 100-150 yards, leaving the irons set to 25 or 50
Old 04-23-2013, 04:53 AM
dos0711

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Option 5...peep sights
Old 04-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Rick-F
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A tang sight took care of my vision problems with respect to shooting. I had a very difficult time seeing the rear sight -- front sight -- target all at the same time. I just could not focus on all three. Once I tried a tang sight, I was sold!! I now have a tang sight on my Henrys, the model 62 pump and the .357 Model 92 Lever gun.

http://www.gunblast.com/Marbles.htm

Here is a guy shooting 600 yards with a tang sight-- no scope needed

WhitSpurzon's Channel - YouTube
Old 04-23-2013, 10:34 AM
rj10719
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdave View Post
You need a H001L model for iron sights

And scopes have no place on leverguns, so then you'd have a H001 and H001L with irons! Problem solved, once and for all!
Or mount the scope and zero it for 100-150 yards, leaving the irons set to 25 or 50
It both amuses me and angers me when people say that scopes have no business on a lever rifle. What earthly business is it of any body else what type of optics/sights I or anyone put on our rifle?

I believe it strictly a matter of personal preference and/or need.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:40 AM
JC12
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj10719 View Post
It both amuses me and angers me when people say that scopes have no business on a lever rifle. What earthly business is it of any body else what type of optics/sights I or anyone put on our rifle?

I agree.

I do think that traditional iron sights look best, I do like the looks of a scope but have a hard time shooting with them so I am opting for high-vis sights.

I think the HV sights will look terrible BUT I will be able to see, aim and hit what I am aiming at which is far more important than looks.

YES, it sucks getting old but I have to adapt
Old 04-23-2013, 11:35 AM
ArmyScout
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

Why should it amuse or anger you? Like you said it is a personal choice and opinion. The main reason why most don't like scopes on lever action rifles is, to some, it violates the tradition look of the lever action in our Wild West history. Much like the Oct barrel vs the round barrel. No one is criticizing anyone for putting a scope on a lever action rifle. To each is own.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:55 AM
OldSwede

TPC Rating: 
100% (91)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyScout View Post
Why should it amuse or anger you? Like you said it is a personal choice and opinion. The main reason why most don't like scopes on lever action rifles is, to some, it violates the tradition look of the lever action in our Wild West history. Much like the Oct barrel vs the round barrel. No one is criticizing anyone for putting a scope on a lever action rifle. To each his own.
I have to go along with rj, here. The original comment - about scopes having no place on a lever - was NOT written as though it was an opinion; it was wriitten as if it were an edict from above, from someone who was much smarter and knowledgeable than the rest of us. The writer may not have MEANT that, but that was how he wrote it.

I try to never make a statement like that without adding an "IMHO" or "YMMV" so that the reader knows I am just stating an opinion. IMHO, that is just good writing and good manners. YMMV.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:32 PM
plinkin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlegvzv View Post
I originally put a scope on my beautiful new Henry H001 (.22LR) both because I like scopes and because Henry shipped the gun with rear sights that made the gun shoot too high. Henry sent me new rear sights and now the gun shoots fine. I shot about 150 rounds today using the new iron sights and accuracy was pretty good.

By the way, thank you to those of you who explained how to "tap out" the rear sight from the dovetail. It was actually quite easy to do. The new sight went in fine as well, courtesy of some firm taps from my brass mallet. No dings on the rifle, either.

By chance my Henry Hi Viz front sight came and I put it on. This should really help me see the front sight, which was sometimes a bit of a challenge at the range.

So here is the quandry:

1. Should I put the scope back on? The gun is VERY accurate when I use the scope.

2. Should I leave the scope off? The gun is wonderfully light and handy with no scope.

3. Should I buy a second Henry and put the scope on it. Then I do not have to choose between 1 and 2. Knowing this forum, you will all vote for 3. But what about 1 versus 2. May I get some opinions? Scope or irons with the Hi-Viz?
Option 3a:

Put the scope back on and buy a second Henry. That is truly your only option. Problem is every Henry I own gets a scope. I haven't scoped the BB357 yet but I do have the scope, rings & cantilever mount.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:25 AM
bigfatdave
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:

Ih no, everybody got together and agreed that it was silly.
If you disagree, you should have been at the meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSwede View Post
I have to go along with rj, here. The original comment - about scopes having no place on a lever - was NOT written as though it was an opinion; it was wriitten as if it were an edict from above, from someone who was much smarter and knowledgeable than the rest of us. The writer may not have MEANT that, but that was how he wrote it.

I try to never make a statement like that without adding an "IMHO" or "YMMV" so that the reader knows I am just stating an opinion. IMHO, that is just good writing and good manners. YMMV.
I was entirely serious. The levergun police will be along to fine everyone who mounts a scope and smash the scope with a wooden clog any minute

===

Really? You're getting silly about an offhand sarcastic comment.
I've run a modern red-dot on my HRA leverguns, and I'm trying to figure out a way to mount a laser on the mare's leg in a hidden fashion.
It's a joke, kids, don't take everything so seriously.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Pete44ru
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
86% (9)

I personally put great store in "light & handy", but anyone into "top-heavy & ungainly" should go with option #1.

I'm in my early 70's, am still a hunter, and have made out just fine for many years with a peep sight teamed with a FO front bead for almost all my shooting.

Game doesn't usually stand around long enough for more than a one-shot group - So the first shot's POI coinciding with my POA is much more important to me than the size of 5-shot or 10-shot groups.

Last edited by Pete44ru; 04-24-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:52 PM
plinkin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete44ru View Post

I personally put great store in "light & handy", but anyone into "top-heavy & ungainly" should go with option #1.

I'm in my early 70's, am still a hunter, and have made out just fine for many years with a peep sight teamed with a FO front bead for almost all my shooting.

Game doesn't usually stand around long enough for more than a one-shot group - So the first shot's POI coinciding with my POA is much more important to me than the size of 5-shot or 10-shot groups.
Hmm all my levers with scopes are light and handy. That is because I stopped buying lead filled scopes. Then I thought that my rifle was still to heavy when it was fully loaded so I had to make a tough decision. Either load it with 1 round because one shot, one kill, one hole head shot groupings are important OR change my ammo.

Option 2: I went with CCHigh Light n Quiet. Helium filled cases with titanium hollow point slugs. Then I decided it was to light so I added a hammer extension.