Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-23-2004, 07:38 PM
walesdave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking New to this

Hi All,

I've just recieved my first Firearms Certificate (quite a big thing in the UK) and brought my 10/22 home from the club. As it's 'almost' stock I hope it's ok showing it here.

First order of business - strip it down
Second thing to learn - how it goes together again

My wife (who's VERY not into guns) even made encouraging noises and said she didn't mind if I worked on the living room floor!

Anyway, I hope these pics prove that if I can do it anyone can.

I'm truely amazed how easy it was to strip as my tool kit was an Allen key and a Gerber multi-tool.

Now just have to wait until next week to see if it still works

Last edited by walesdave; 05-23-2004 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:43 PM
Spike52
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow, Dave. Didn't know they came apart that far!

Welcome to the wonderous world of rimfire shooting. I'm just scratching the surface myself.

Good shooting to you.
-S
Old 05-24-2004, 09:56 AM
Wolf
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a great attitude, Dave Get to know the gun inside and out. It gives you a great understanding of the mechanisms and helps you to be able to troubleshoot much more effectively.

Now, after you test fire it, you can decide if you want to take that barrel band off. Then, get a bolt buffer and a target hammer, then......

And, pretty soon you won't be posting pictures in the "stock" forum, you'll be on to the "ultimate" forum

Hurray For Indy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2004, 10:36 AM
NEWFOUNDLAND

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is that a compensator on the muzzle? Any info on it would be great.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:18 PM
nfmMike
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very cool! My wife often lets me use the kitchen table, she says because it's so that I don't have to feel ostracized, but I know it's because she really wants to watch me play with my "big boy toy". That and if I leave the room, there is no one to talk to that will talk back!

Nice stock rifle - all y'all are steering me in the direction of a 10/22 - and here I was thinking of a bolt action. But I like all the arguements of "customization" and hidden magazine and simplicity.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:38 PM
Markbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Welcome, welcome, welcome! That is indeed a great attitude. I wish everyone would do that first - take it apart and see how the bloody thing works!

You will be filled with ideas now about how/what to upgrade. Definitley a bolt buffer and a hammer... and you can test for yourself, but probably geetting rid of that barrel band. And a bughole tuner. Then a GM barrel.

Next thing you know, you'll be posting results of club matches!

And please... keep reminding us colonists of the importance of hanging on to our freedoms!!!

Mark
Old 05-24-2004, 06:13 PM
DarkOzzy13

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had my first 10/22 for about a month here. This site is what made decide what i wanted to get, been coming here for about two months just started posting this week though ( I've been hiding out here in the dark lol ). I got a new SS cabine model. I've read about the weird coat of lube or whatever it is ruger puts on them from factory. So it gave me an excuse to rip it down and check it out before I shot it. I think the most important thing to do is get a recoil buffer. I was really surprised at the loud clank it made when I shot it the first time. I put the buffer in the next week after i got it, and was really satisfied with it. Next thing i got was two butler creek 25 hot lips clips. They clip together on the sides they're pretty cool. I can load a whole box up and go shoot without reloading and they seem to work just as good as the factory clip. Just put a simmons 22 mag 3-9 on it last week put it on some bags and couldnt belive how it shot after sight in, the nickle sized bulls-eye at about 30 yards wasnt there anymore. I removed the barrel band and free floated the barrel yesterday with a small washer, havent tested it yet. Thanx for all the info here guys, helped a ton.

Ozz

Last edited by DarkOzzy13; 05-24-2004 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:13 PM
Plinker
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

The Foothills of the Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.
TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Well you have gone and done it now,Dave.

Just taken a 10/22 down like that ,can
release all kinds of spirits.

First thing ya no the only thing left of the original gun will be the bolt and receiver.

Lots of after market parts will replace the rest
of the gun.

With no end in sight.

Have Fun!

Old 05-24-2004, 07:55 PM
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fairly new myself

I am just one year into the 10/22 addiction. Best tip I can give you is run right out and get one for your wife. Then it doesn't matter what you do or where you do it as long as you do the same thing to her's! I started with a mild custom. LR model with Hogue stock, Green Mountain barrel, and VQ hammer, recoil buffer, extractor, bolt release, and magazine release. Next came a WMR converted to .17 HMR. Then along comes the wife's WMR which gets the internals, a GM barrel and is waiting for a Revival Tundra stock which will go to Tuck for a paint job. Latest one is still factory and is waiting for the Mach 2 stuff. In the process, I learned to do all that stuff myself simply by reading this forum. Directions and diagrams for anything you want to do to a 10/22 are available right here. I no longer buy auto bolt releases since I found how easy it is to make your own from the factory piece. Picked that up from a board sponser who sells them! Talked himself out of a sale, but that's the kind of guy you find here!

Good luck

DRob
Old 05-25-2004, 03:29 PM
walesdave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the kind comments, it means a lot as there is very little of the 'community spirit' here in the UK - even within the shooting community itself it sometimes feels like "why let outsiders destroy the shooting sports when you can do it yourselves?"

I should have been a little clearer in the first post though, it's not a completely stock rifle. It has a VQ bolt buffer, VQ auto bolt release & extended mag release, titanium extractor, compensator, screwcut barrel and a trigger job (about 2lbs): this was all done by a guy widely regarded as the best 10/22 man in the UK. Follow the link to see his great 10/22 site Rimfire Magic .

The compensator came (later) from the same guy as the rifle and cost 35 pound. The gun, minus compensator and scope, cost an even 300 pound - guess about $500.

Last edited by walesdave; 05-25-2004 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:30 AM
Markbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinker
First thing ya no the only thing left of the original gun will be the bolt and receiver.
And those too will be modified