Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-10-2004, 11:25 PM
Si6

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Electric measures/scales?

Ok im tired of fighting my darn lyman powder measure and im in the market for a electric powder thrower and scale combo..

Who has one and are they worth it and what kind is it? Im nedin some ideas

Thanx
Si6
Old 04-12-2004, 01:05 AM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si6
Ok im tired of fighting my darn lyman powder measure and im in the market for a electric powder thrower and scale combo..

Si6
What powder are you using ? Sometimes you might be suprised at how accurate a powder measure rally can be, one powder that I have found that does not work well with any measure is IMR 4831. As for powders like RL7, RL15, H 322, Varget, Benchmark (all extruded powders), and the good powder measure powders like BL-C(2) (ball powder) gives very uniform results if you will use uniform procedure.

My method

Fill the powder measure at least half full,find the charge you want, set powde measure to that charge. Throw 5 charges and check, after you get it set like you want it check ever 5th to 10th charge.

Now for operation of the measure, if it dumps on the down stroke and charges on to up stroke of the handle try this. Do not leave the handle in the up position (as in the powder will just keep compacting for every bump you make around the powder measure while charging cases) be uniform in the time you let the handle stay up, some people bump it lightly to settle the powder in, see if that helps you out any.

Move handle up, 3 light raps on handle arm with a screwdriver or such item, mybe count to 5 after the handle reaches up position, drop charge, leave the handle down untill you are ready to charge the next case. This will help uniform charges, one more thing if all else fails, take the measure apart and clean it, then cycle a full Reservoir (part ya fill up) thru it to coat the parts, realy easy to do just open charge weight up, and cycle right back in the original powder can/bottle.

Hope this helps, Clint
Old 04-14-2004, 09:49 AM
cmjr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I bit the bullet and bought the RCBS setup. Got tired of re-throwing stick powders with my Harrels. Some guys might make it work by fine tuning these powder throwers but if a Harrels is going to vary.1-.2 grains either direction that's too much for me. I also own the Redding, same issues. The RCBS unit is hasslefree, good warranty and once you use it you'll never go back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2004, 11:49 AM
clint

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjr
I bit the bullet and bought the RCBS setup. Got tired of re-throwing stick powders with my Harrels. Some guys might make it work by fine tuning these powder throwers but if a Harrels is going to vary.1-.2 grains either direction that's too much for me. I also own the Redding, same issues. The RCBS unit is hasslefree, good warranty and once you use it you'll never go back.
I also use a Harrels. I get around .2 gr max variance on it, mostly about 1 gr.
If your load is picky enough that .1-.2gr throws it out of the group search for another load. Also this is only with stick powder, ball powder will be right on the money. I using a max load, weigh every charge (I'm not keen on max loads for paper shooting or hunting).

One could really real get deep on this subject, as in what is better to measure a charge by volume, or by weight? Weight is a real good starting point, and a max point, but volume on the other hand is very big player as well, that's why a case full (notice full as in relative) gives much better results than say a powder that fills the case only half full, volume of the powder is a key player in accuracy, and pressure (which can be good and bad ).

Another thing to try, pick 20 pieces of stick extruded powder out, pick 5 groups of this, weigh each group, most stick powder are fairly similar in size, but you can get real itsy and throw out the ones that do not match close to the size of others.

What works for me might not work for others, I just throw wht little I have learned out so maybe it will help others out.

Clint
Old 04-15-2004, 10:18 PM
Zircon
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Info I've heard on the automated scale/powder dispensers is that they are slower than a seven year itch.

Here's how I do it: I set my Redding BR-30 for a few grains less than my desired charge weight. I dump this on a Dillon electronic balance. I have an electric vibratory powder trickler set up with a foot peddle. I trickle to final charge weight. Only the Dillon balance will work with this technique. Reason? It's got three load cells and they damping/response is such that you can trickle directly into the pan and the balance will keep right up and not overshoot your charge weight.