Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-21-2004, 06:07 PM
walesdave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Iron sights or scopes?

Just got the first rifle I can really call my own (stainless 10/22) but have to save the pennies for a few weeks to buy a scope for it. I found shooting with open sights after using a scoped club gun to be a revelation. I used to shoot with open sights as a schoolboy (nearly 20 years ago) and I had forgotton how enjoyable it is. I'm now thinking of getting a peep sight rather than a scope.

So how do other people rate open sights v's scopes? Love them or loathe them?
Old 02-21-2004, 06:31 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Send a message via Yahoo to ken w.
open or scope

I was cursed with bad eyes.I have to wear glasses.I like scopes on most of my guns until I bought a good target rifle with peep sights.I love peep sights with a globe front sight.My target gun is a rem. 540x with a redfield peep sight that I got a merit adjustable aperture for.I can crank that merit disc so small you can barely see through it.It's the only gun I can group a clover leaf at 50 yards without a scope.Since then I have acquired more target guns set up the same way with good results.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Paul F.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shoot Highpower and Smallbore competitively (well.. competitively on a LOCAL basis anyway..).

I started with iron sights, and still shoot them almost exclusively..

I have almost as much invested in sights as I do in my "main" smallbore competition rifle.

Good metalic sights, properly used by someone with vision good enough (and that doesn't mean PERFECT vision) can shoot as well as with a scope.

There are a couple truths to Irons vs Scopes;
using the wrong aperture sizes (front or rear) with irons will do you NO good.
Likewise a scope that won't adjust for the range you're shooting.

Good irons will shoot with good glass.
But there's also crappy irons and crappy glass out there.

For competition, I PREFER irons over glass (even when I'm allowed to use glass).. I know the ins and outs. I'm still learning how to get the most out of a scope in Smallbore Prone.

I think as a shooting community, we do a disservice to our young by starting them wth scopes and ignoring Irons.

Just my opinion....
Paul F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2004, 09:31 PM
Snake45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Snake45
I enjoy both peeps and scopes. I have one 10/22 set up for each, and shot the peep-sighted one more this year. Of my other .22 rifles, they split about 50-50. I like shooting the irons at 25 to 50 yards and the scopes at 50 to 100.

I'm teaching my son to hit his target with iron sights before I let him have a scope.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:05 PM
Rick Harris

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I work with young Boy Scout novice (never been around or behind a gun) shooters. We use my rifles and a few borrowed rifles.If they are scoped we leave them home. I feel it's important to learn first with open and aperture sights. Figure they can always learn to shoot with a scope.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:20 PM
AK

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm an iron site guy first but scopes are nice to have. I grew up using iron sites.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:10 AM
Jon_the_Cynic

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would have put peep/globe sights on my CZ 452 Special if they weren't so difficult to install on CZ rifles. Instead I opted for a Nikon 1x scope with a BKL #254 mount (I just wanted a crosshair, not magnificaiton). Due to the construction of the mount and the small objective bell of the scope, I can still see the factory sights!

I don't believe I'm losing any skills to be gained through iron sights by using this scope... repeating the position of my head reliably IS an issue, since my scope does not have adjustable objective.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:45 AM
Lutefisk Lefse

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While in the military, the basic issue weapon was an M16A2. Accuracy with the 'peep' sight system was excellant on targets out to 330yds(300 meters). This was the longest distance on the qualification courses when I was in.

We had shootouts to see who could engage the most 300M targets with 40 rounds, while trying to use up all issued ammunition. It wasn't uncommon for many of us to engage 40-of-40 once you got into the 'groove'.

Receiver/peep/tang sights can acheive great accuracy with a trained shooter. Recently, at Camp Perry, a shooter made 20-of-20 bullseyes at 1,000yds using an AR15/M16-style rifle and iron sights. 14 of those shots were in the X-ring area.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:55 PM
Ironsite

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Check my handle :-)

I like good peep or gost ring sights. I reserve scopes for long range stuff only. I can't understand why manufacturers rarely provide good sights mounted on the reciever where they belong.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:58 PM
12c plinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
my old 12 has marbles ghost ring sights and they work great. i got it at a junk auction in a pile of old rifles , it had an old solid brass scope on it too but i pitched it as i like iron sights. it looks like hell , but it can shoot!
Old 02-22-2004, 02:41 PM
steve-in-kville

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most of my rifles wear scopes, except for those that have exceptional sights. I have a CZ Special that I had a scope on, but took it off. I enjoy shooting that rifle with the standard irons.

steve
Old 02-22-2004, 05:04 PM
walesdave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

Thanks for all the intersting replies- it's good to hear advice from such a varried group of guys. I was at the range today, and got asked yet again 'when you going to scope it?' When I said I was thinking about sticking with iron sights- well a lively 'discussion' started between the two old timers I was talking too about iron v's glass.

Lutefisk Lefse- I remember watching some 1000 yard shooting at Bisley when I was a Cadet shooter, it took us a while to realise the targets were on the other side of what looked at first sight to be a park- but was actually the range . It was educational to watch as we youngsters thought we were the 'coolest' shooting iron sights at 600 yards until we saw these guys lying on their backs, with their rifles supported on their crossed ankles using open sights at such a vast range.

David
Old 02-22-2004, 10:17 PM
MDN

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I REALLY like the iron sights on my CZ and my Browning lever and have absolutely no desire to scope either of them.

Other rifles I've had I can't really imaging shooting without a scope.

I think the rifle decides whether it's going to be scoped more than I do.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:22 PM
dipodomys

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Irons

If manufacturers didn't put such P--- poor iron sights on their rifles there would be no need for most people to scope their rifles. The truth is it's cheaper to scope one than to have good irons put on. Good peep sights are more expensive than many scopes and most manufacturers put out rifles already set up for scopes, not to mention that stocks are built for scope users. Just try to find new rifles with low stocks that are comfortable to use with iron sights. Of course older rifles have those gosh awful semi-buckhorn sights halfway down the barrel. I've never understood why new versions of old rifles come out with the same horrible sights the old ones were condemned with. They improve everything else on them, They even add unneeded safeties to them.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:53 AM
MikeL

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
If manufacturers didn't put such P--- poor iron sights on their rifles there would be no need for most people to scope their rifles.
But 9 out of 10 would put a scope on it anyway, so the manufacturer cuts costs by putting on a cheap set of irons. Or no irons at all on some models.

I never really shot a rifle w/o a scope until I got an AR-15. It's kinda fun to shoot it with the peep sight, but I still shoot much better groups with the scope on it. I'm thinking of getting a BKL mount for my Marlin so I can take the scope off and use the irons and hopefully be able to put the scope back on and hold zero.