Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:35 PM
22jammer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
New Gun ?

Got the new gun bug I only Squirrel hunt but want a shooter which gun do guys like?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:37 PM
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22jammer View Post
Got the new gun bug I only Squirrel hunt but want a shooter which gun do guys like?
For a Marlin, my favorite is the 39A, but in a bolt action there are also some nice choices.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Old Dutch
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you are a tight budget, perhaps a Marlin 795, semi, would be a good choice. A lot of rifle for the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 08:52 AM
btolle
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know this is the bolt action forum but my first choice would be one of the Model 60's made by Marlin. There are lots of used ones around and they are about the most accurate rifle for the money I have ever owned.

I also found a new (old) 981 bolt action that is extremely accurate but a bit heavier than the 60 if you are toting it through the woods.

Last edited by btolle; 08-24-2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Add 981
Old 08-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Rifleman55

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Right now I would stay away from new Marlins, because of the plant being closed, some poor quality guns have gotten out, don't get me wrong I like marlin firearms.
I would look at Savage, or even BRNO, even better for a woods gun Henry, the ones that I have seen are nice.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:04 PM
jpfive
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I enjoy my two Marlins. The 81 goes to the range today to sight in the new peeps. However, if you are looking new, then I suggest CZ (Budget BRNO). I am very happy with my 455 American. It is a shooter, and available now in the mid $300's. It replaces the CZ 452, which has driven the prices of the outgoing model higher while the CZ faithful warm up to the 455 - makes the 455 a bargain for the moment.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:34 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Your budget may be your determining factor. If not a problem, go for a Cooper or Anshutz. On a more logical, common sense approach, handle a few if you haven't already and decide what action you prefer. Semiautos are great and a used but well cared for Marlin Model 60 is a great find. The Browning 241 is the ultimate semiauto with the Winchester 63 (also a Browning design, but out of production for years) the next best. Lever actions are great. Again the used market is best for the LAs .22s of yore. The Winchester 9422 is a great find if you can find one you can afford. The Browning BLA and older Marlins are great as well. The Henry's are the smoothest shootinest of the current in-production LA guns. I have always liked the .22 pumps, having grown up shooting the Win 62A. An older used Rossi 62 in good shape is a great buy. Henry makes a nice pump now, but pricey.

And last but not least are the bolt actions. A couple-three you should consider... CZ, Savage MKII and the Zastavia C5 (http://www.ussginc.com/pdfs/USSG_2011_Z98_Z5.pdf ). I have one or more of most everything I have listed above (except the Cooper and Anshuts - I dream of those). The bolt action with a decent scope can become the USR (ultimate squirrel rifle). Of the 3 BA .22s I mentioned, all will shoot a minute of squirrel at 50+ yards in a heart beat. I have to admit that my personal preference between my MKIIg Savage, CZ 452 Silhouette and my Remington Mdl Five (Zastava C5 as imported by Remington for several years) is my favorite. A little heavier for better off hand work, a fantastic bluing, good adjustable trigger and as imported now with a walnut stock instead of the laminate stock I have. Day in day out, it will outperform my Savage and CZ .

Buying the USR is like religion and politics... or a bunch of statisticians... you can put them all together and never reach a conclusion. Buy the one you like.
VH