What is the best way to attach coins to targets? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-30-2004, 07:09 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up COIN SHOOTING

Never thought of shooting coins!

but we could have and exchange of coins with RFC members from other countries. NZ could shoot CN coins we could shoot FROG
coins CN could use our coins and so on.

I have some spare change from other countries. that should satisfy the Treasury.

S/SP
Old 01-30-2004, 11:45 AM
krawdad13112

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wink

Have you considered putting some change ona copy machine and making some paper targets that would give you the same excitement?

Kurt
Old 01-30-2004, 12:24 PM
Antlurz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Actually, I believe that as long as fraud doesn't enter into it, defacing a coin or a bill is perfectly legal.

For many years, when the minature high speed die grinders became popular, thousands and thousands of coins were "skeletonized" to leave a round rim and nothing but the head of the person who was on the coin, then drilled to make a necklass. That was determined to be perfectly legal.

I seriously doubt that anyone can demonstrate that shooting a hole through a penny will break any laws.

Ron
Old 01-30-2004, 12:44 PM
Remander

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Poor Jay. Nobody will read his post where he posted the Treasury information that makes clear (to me) that you can legally mutilate the hell out of coins so long as you do not do so "fraudulently".

I suppose in the days of silver and gold, shaving some of the precious metal from a coin you intend to circulate would qualify. Shooting a hole in a quarter and hanging it on a string or throwing it in the trash is not fraudulent. Who was defrauded? No one.

Here is Jay's info again:

http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/c...IMAGE.Y=10#q11

Quote:
QUESTION: What is the definition of mutilated coins? Is it illegal for people to use coins to make jewelry, souveniers or other items?

ANSWER:This question is addressed by 331, U.S.C. 18, which provides penalties for the mutilation of our coins. These penalties consist of not more than $2,000 or imprisonment of not more than five years, or both. This section generally applies to anyone who "fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens" any coins circulating in the United States. It also addresses anyone who "fraudulently possesses, passes, utters, publishes, or sells . . . or brings into the United States, any such coin." If you believe you know of such fraud, you should contact your local office of the United States Secret Service, which is responsible for investigating such cases.
[US Treasury Dept.]
Quote Format added for clarity by BigMike, Moderator.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:58 PM
Jay
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Jay Send a message via Yahoo to Jay
Thanks Remander,

I thought I'd mis-stated something.

Jay
Old 01-30-2004, 06:39 PM
Klof Drahcir

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool When

I first put the A & B barrel on my 10/22, I was slightly amazed at the groups I was getting. My dad, however, was NOT amazed -- he simply didn't believe it. After I had enough of his sarcastic comments about my "wonder rifle", I dragged him out to the range to see for himself. I placed a dime above two nails at the fifty yard range and told him to watch carefully through the spotting scope. I then set up at the bench to prove my point. Was HOPING just to hit the dime and knock it from it's perch. The first shot from a cold barrel smashed into Franklin Roosevelt's ear and drove that dime firmly into the half rotten 4x4 it had been sitting against. Wish I had a picture of my old man's face -- part amazement, part shagrin, part pride. Still got that dime somewhere.

He never again "dissed" my "wonder rifle".
Old 01-30-2004, 07:32 PM
eraser5

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If your sooo worried about the legality of shooting money, just use the knock-out slugs from your electrical boxes. One 4x4 handy box will give you 10 slugs. Of course it will cost you more the 10 nickels, but, hey, you wanted to be legal.

Those penney machines don't use penneys much any more. They use copper slugs the size of penneys. The newer penneys are copper clad aliminum. The don't mashh too well.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:47 PM
walesdave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For some unknown reason I've had two quarters and a dime stuck to my computer monitor for the last three years, any of you US citizens mind if I take them to the range next week and deface them?
Old 01-31-2004, 04:48 AM
ChiefDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Chief Says : HUMM ! I have friend who had his house burn down.
He claims he has $800.00 cash money in an envelope that burned up too. That should get him about 30 years in the joint.
I will suggest to him = " turn yourself in to the authorities ".
possibly you will get off with a small fine and probation if lucky.
Humm . good idea.
LAST
WINTER.
I was at a party where a guy played the ole joke using a twenty dollar bill . Ya know = WHERE you ask for famous person = !
on the bill ? next , next , finally a brand of tobacco .
OOPS half & half --- the joker tears your 20 in half.
The guy doing the trick " joke" was a US Treasury Agent.
BWAHahhaaa ! no jail fer him. did render a new 20 to the guy.
or have %%%%%whipen comin.
CD
Old 01-31-2004, 05:02 AM
Antlurz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by eraser5
Those penney machines don't use penneys much any more. They use copper slugs the size of penneys. The newer penneys are copper clad aliminum. The don't mashh too well.
It's been a long time since I shot a real copper penny. I should get sighted in and bust a few old ones. Not sure just what year they switched. Was it the same time they quit making silver coins? All the new ones do is break out a chunk.

Ron
Old 01-31-2004, 05:45 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
coin shoots

think that the last of the silver dimes were minted in 1964
for general circulation. the copper penny lived on for a few more years before devaluation.

S/SP