Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-14-2003, 02:50 AM
milanuk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
benchresting skinny fore end stocks

Hello,

I've seen people talking in the various forums about phenomenal groups they've gotten from one kind of gun or another, often a CZ 452 American or a IZ Biathlon Basic.

Are they(you) shooting these guns 'as is', or are you changing out the stock for something w/ a 'proper' BR fore end? I've got a 452 American *and* a Biathlon Basic (great rifles, luv 'em!), but I can't for the life of me get even close to the groups I'm hearing/seeing people talking about.

I realize that some (ok, a lot) of it is the nut behind the trigger, so to speak, but I can't seem to shoot worth a hoot off a rest w/ a stock that just wants to flop around in my Sinclair windage adjustable benchrest. The front rest I have was about the right size for a Rem700VS or a 40XB-KS. Do I need to get a different front rest, get one of the 'add-on' plates like a Hart's Accuracy Asset, something else, what?

TIA,

Monte
Old 11-14-2003, 03:53 AM
REDTIP17

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Monte,
You probably got the same problem I've got with My CZ when using my Sinclair Rest. The bag is just too wide for the forearm.
It works great with my VQ benchrest 2-3/4" wide stock but with my CZ it's like putting a pencil in a hot dog bun. I think I'm going to make 2 leather bag inserts to fit sides of the Sinclair bag to narrow the sides in to fit the CZ. All they would have to do is lay on the inside of the existing bag. Bill
Old 11-14-2003, 06:21 AM
graybeard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Milanub and Redtip17
I had the same problem with my Annie 1710 and made a plate that was almost 3 inches wide and 6 or 7 inches long and attached it to the forearm. It rides the bags like a benchrest stock. The best part, you can take it off and you have the old stock back. I used this gun to shoot the BAB matches up untill last month. It worked for me.
later
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2003, 07:54 AM
graybeard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
here is a picture of the 1710
Jim
Old 11-14-2003, 10:11 AM
Forester

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First, you need to keep in mind that the "average" group size many people talk about is really their best group. We learn to read with a grain of salt. Now, the idea of the plate to stabilize the forend is a good one. You might also get a rest (Caldwell is one) that has adjustable side plates so you can pinch the bag snuggly against your stock. You'll need a narrow #1 bag for this to be successful. Sinclair sells them. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:14 AM
milanuk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I might be able to just get a Protector #1 bag for my existing front Sinclair 5300 rest since it has adjustable sides. From the description on Sinclair's site, it sounds like it should pinch down on a fairly narrow stock.

Thanks,

Monte
Old 11-14-2003, 12:09 PM
Superboar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Scope Level

Sounds like you are having trouble keeping the rifle exactly upright; try a scope level. They are on sale at MidwayUSA.

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/498458

I had to shim mine to get it level.
Old 11-14-2003, 01:12 PM
BB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Cooper sporter has a very narrow forend with a sharp radius. I have done what other here have suggested. First I use a Hart Competition rest with the movable side plates. I use a regular Protektor #1 front bag and used the sliding side plates to snug the bag up around the forend. I use a rifle stop on the rest. I also have a level on the scope (which I think is very important).

Next, I shoot this rifle with a fair amount of pressure and control so as to prevent the rifle from rolling in the rest on recoil (because it's not going to roll the same every time). That's how I get decent results from a sporter with an very un-benchrest type stock.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Alaska Mike

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
On my cz varmint I took out the sling studs and attached a hart accuracy assist plate. The plate is about 3" wide, has adjustable sides, and will fit a #3 front bag. That way I can shoot any gun with the same front bag setup. On the guns with a accessory rail I have an aluminum plate that fits and is 3" wide also. It is nice having the same front setup that will work on pretty much any gun.

I started out with different bags but got tired of changing them out.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:48 PM
Gordon Gauge

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Possum Hollow forend stabilizer might work well for your application. GG

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/...IRA&type=store
Old 11-14-2003, 03:26 PM
REDTIP17

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gordon,
I'm contemplating making a block for the front stud to sit in that's the same contour as my VQ BR stock. I can then just set the CZ in the block and drop the block in the sinclair it'll be the same outside as my VQ BR stock. Should work great.... That way, no bag adj. from the CZ to the VQ ... Bill