Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-28-2003, 12:21 PM
weconway
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Which single six?

Ok, the money's in place, the stars are in alignment, and the fiancee has given her blessing. It's a new gun for me!

I've decided on a single-six. I've had a couple guns before, and I can't fight my love for the .22 LR cartridge. My MkII is the best gun I've ever owned, and I desperately want a revolver in my safe. I'm incredibly impressed with Ruger's products.

This all spells single-six to me.

Now all I have to do is iron out which model. I've narrowed it down to two, the new 50th anniversary edition and the Lipseys special edition 4-5/8" bbl. stainless.

I can't get over the fact that the 50th is one heck of a beautiful gun. It looks good in the case and looks even better in my hand. It feels just right, and points like a dream.

The Lipseys special is the same perfect size, but it features stainless construction and adjustable sights. I like the lower maintainance of the stainless finish, but I love the way blued guns look and feel. I admit I'd feel a little guilty lugging that beautiful firearm through the woods in a holster.

I also get really frustrated when my guns don't shoot POA, so the adjustable sights are a major plus, especially considering the universe of loads that can be fired from a .22 revolver.

A smaller factor is that I can get the anniversary model for about $50 cheaper. I intend to teach my future kids with this gun, so that is only a minor concern.

My plan right now is to go to gun shows and fondle both until I cave and pick one in desperation.

So what do you guys think? Beauty over Utility?

And no, I can't get both!
Old 10-28-2003, 02:11 PM
georgiaboy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The adjustable sights alone would edge me in that direction, esp. since you'll be teaching your kids about sight alignment, and to be able to adjust for different ammos, etc..... also, for kids-handling it and woods-totin' it, the weather resistant SS would be a plus.

That being said, I sure do like my 6.5" blued/walnut Bisley model (w/ the solid, engraved cylinder, AND adjustable sights)..... this one just wouldn't look right to me in stainless .... another thing about the Bisley model tho, it has a true LR bore dia., and so doesn't come with a Mag. cylinder..... but it sure points and shoots fine!...

The SingleSix in ANY flavor is one nice little pistola!

Good Luck!
Old 10-28-2003, 05:50 PM
maytom

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree, either version works for me as well. I happen to have the 6 1/2" Super single six in Stainless. That barrel length seems about right for target or small game hunting for me, but personal preference comes into play here. One tuff gun for the money and a sleeper in the accuarcy department if you can find what it likes to shoot!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2003, 08:27 PM
George S
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've owned a blued Single-Six with a 6 1/2" barrel for over 20 years now. This revolver has been without a doubt the most fun I have ever had with any gun. I use the mag cylinder more than the LR but either setup is just a joy to shoot. It always goes to the range no matter what else I take.

The adjustable sights made it easy to get 1" groups at 25yds with Win Super-X in 22 mag and CCI Mini-mags in LR. Now I've just added a BSA Red Dot to it with a Weigand Combat no-drill rail. Can't wait to get to the range again to see what this new setup will do.

You can't go wrong with the Single Six. I like the look of the longer barrel and the longer sight radius helps with accuracy. Enjoy whatever model you decide on!!
Old 10-28-2003, 09:07 PM
452 shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would get the adjustable sight model. Not being able to hit to the point of aim would just annoy me to no end!

I don't know about the 50th Aniversary version but the standard blued Single Sixes all have the aluminum gripframe where as the stainless guns have a steel gripframe as well. The Bisley models are all steel as well. I like the idea of an all steel revolver - everything matches up and it just looks right to me.

My own Single Six - a stainless with a 5.5" barrel , usually is included during the frquent range visits. This is a true "fun gun" - a real pleasure to shoot. My 22lr cylinder shoots the best. Have not had any good results in the limited shooting with the 22 mag cylinder. That is ok since 22lr is what I bought it for!
Old 10-29-2003, 10:25 PM
RUT
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just read a very favorable test report on the "New Model Single Six" in .17 cal (Gun Tests), and I just may have to get me one of them things!!
Old 10-31-2003, 08:47 PM
Wee Hooker
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Why limit yourself?

There are a LOT of used ones out there. My personal prefference is for the older modles as they sound sweeter, have the 1/2 cock /eject alignment and are a little more rounded in the frame. Still the new ones are easier to find. I started with a 5.5" new modle w adjustable sights in SS. That was going to be it! Two months latter ,I stumbled on a old ( but minty) .22mag only version in 6.5", blue w fixed sights. Price was just over $150. It was love at a bargan. Ok thats it ! Two months back, I stumbled on a new modle blued 6.5' adjustable in .22 lr only at another bargan price. I was weak and it was lonely. As of this afternoon, I am the proud owner of another. Todays love was for a new modle 6.5" in Stainless w adjustable sights. I'd like to think this is it but i realize that I still lack a 4.5" version
Life is good

Seriously though either will hook you, but I'd vote the adjustable sighed version IF you plan to move from .22mag to .22lr/short as POI will move..
Old 10-31-2003, 10:40 PM
larry3screws

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Weconway, get the one you want the most, all have pros and
cons. Soon you will buy the other and then some more. They
are rather addictive.
Wee Hooker, you also need to pick up a NR9 {9 1/2 in.} if
the others were love one of these might be true love
Old 11-01-2003, 08:09 AM
Wee Hooker
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Your right Larry, ! I just missed a deal on a 9" SS last weeK!!
Think I need one of those cute little bearcats.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:25 PM
Plinker
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

The Foothills of the Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.
TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
For all around use a 6 1/2" SS with mag
cylinder is hard to beat.

You can add to the collection later.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:03 PM
Mike S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get the 6 1/2" SS with ajustable rear sights. It will let you mount a no drill scope mount by removing the rear sight..