Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-20-2003, 11:47 AM
Plaskon

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
Question New Single Six verdict / comparison

Ran a forum search on the New Single Six.

I found threads that say the Single Six is a solid shooter and I found threads that say it has problems caused by the difference in bore between .22LR and .22mag.

What's your take on the New Single Six?

How does it compare to similarly priced rimfire revolvers with adjustable sights from Smith or Taurus?

I'd appreciate your input.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:30 PM
452 shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have owned one of the newer models for over 4 years now and usually find time to shoot it when ever I head out to the range. Have fired several thousand rounds through it. My particular revolver has proven to be surprisingly accurate with the 22lr cylinder. I have not had any kind of good results with the 22 mag cylinder. Have heard of others that have good results with both cylinders.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:08 PM
Airedale
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Plaskon, I had a stainless Single Six 6 1/2 inch barrel and I think they are great guns. For a hunting or plinking gun they are tough to beat. The accuracy while good it is not in the tack driving catagory. I have S+W 17 that would easily out shoot the Ruger for groups, but in the field at realistic rimfire ranges the Ruger was plenty good enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2003, 11:13 PM
varmastr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
NS6

mines a hoot to shoot. built in 73ish, I bought it 'like new' second hand in 2003, without the mag cylinder but for 300 canadian for a stainless handgun. sometimes being a tackdriver isnt the point, for me this is one off these times..
Old 09-20-2003, 11:52 PM
Elkein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Elkein Send a message via Yahoo to Elkein
I like my 6 1/2" blued super single six well enough. it's not a bit more or less than I expected. 100% dependability not found in 22 autos combined with satisfactory accuracy, ergonomics, and trail readiness.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:47 PM
paper killer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had excellent experience with mine. Lots of fun to shoot. 100% reliable. And shooting it right hand only at 10 and 15 yards I can consistently cut a playing card in half both vertical and horizontal. And that is with cheap ammo.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:44 PM
W191
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

I find the SS also fun to shoot. Like others mine is not a tack driver, but at 25 yards it's acceptable and fairly close to center. Had a heck of a time finding accurate ammo for the magnum cylinder. Finally settled with Remingtom Green Tips 33 gr. They too are accurate out to 25 yards.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:37 PM
varmastr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My used single six didnt have a magnum cyl, therefore I cant shoot magnums
Whats the chances of finding a mag cyl?
Ebay is fairly void of gun parts.at least when i check...
Old 09-23-2003, 07:27 AM
Lee W

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Look here...

http://www.e-gunparts.com/

They are there and for a good price. These are new factory parts and will require fitting.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:39 PM
varmastr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
wow thanks Lee!
They happen to be sold out, but at least I found someplace to get one. $37.00 US about $50 canadian, freight, blah blah, fitting $150-200. That is reasonable!
Thanks again!
Old 09-24-2003, 02:45 AM
Joe in Fl
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Ruger Single Six

I have had my 5 1/2" New Model Single Six for almost 20 years. It has been a constant companion in the truck. It usually has the lr cylinder in place. I would never sell this, as I have some great memories with it as well as being a constant companion that doesn't or drink anything.
Joe
Old 09-28-2003, 10:56 AM
DesertRat1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Plaskon;

I've owned a 5 1/2" and a 6 1/2" that shot the Magnums better than the LRs and wound up trading them both off and buying a S&W, which shoots fantastic. However, just this summer I traded for a 9 1/2" Single-Six that shoots the LRs so accurately that I haven't even bothered with the magnum cylinder yet. Each gun has its own personality and I have always had friends brag about how well their Single-Sixes shoot .22Lrs, but mine never did till now.

Buy one and try it, chances are it'll do just fine. If it doesn't, you can always trade it or sell it at the next gun show.

DesertRat1
Old 09-30-2003, 08:43 AM
Wee Hooker
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Varmaster, you can send it to Ruger to get a mag cylander fitted for $55. ( They have to be fitted for clearence and timing) They will however replace any non std trigger parts so beware.

I have 2 new modle and an old modle SS. All are nice and reasonably accurate at .22 handgun distances. I like teh action and astetics of teh old modle though.

FWIW, I think allot of teh "accuracy grips" come from the fact tht people switch back and forth from teh mag /lr cyl without readjusting teh sights. They DO shoot in different places!

FWIW, Mine will shoot 1.5" or so @ 50' with ammo it likes. That's enought for what it's designed for
Old 10-04-2003, 10:04 PM
varmastr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks weehooker, Not to insult you or your information, To avoid the freight and BS (theres alot!) for shipping Restricted guns stateside, I would probably be in my best paperwork-free interest to have the tuning done here... I have to have a permit to take it to the gunsmith or the range each time I go.
for me its simply owning it and plinking rounds at the range, cause thats all we can do as passive little Canadians!!(as opposed to being allowed to carry).
Thanks again
Old 10-08-2003, 09:43 PM
maytom

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Another thumbs up for the 6 1/2" Ruger!!