Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-22-2003, 11:37 AM
Grizzly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Single Six Barrel Length?

I am interested in getting a New Single Six for general plinking, informal target work, and possible small game hunting. I believe that Ruger makes 4 barrel lengths in this model: 4 5/8, 5 1/2, 6 1/2, and 9 1/2. I have narrowed it down to either the 5 1/2 or 6 1/2. Both seem to balance very well with the advantage going to the 5 1/2. The accuracy advantage probably goes to the 6 1/2 due to the larger sight radius. Which handles and shoots better for you? Which do you recommend?
Old 09-22-2003, 07:46 PM
paper killer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All I have ever had is the 6 1/2 inch barrel blued model. I really like mine. Don't think there should be too much accuracy difference in only one inch of barrel length. I would say go with the 5 1/2 inch model if you like the feel of it better.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:15 PM
Bob in Michigan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a pair of '56 flat-gate Single Sixes in five and a half length;
and no complaints.

For what I do with them, I have never wished they were an inch longer.

Must admit, I HAVE wondered what they would be like at FOUR and a half...but don't worry; I wouldn't...

All the Best,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2003, 08:46 AM
Wee Hooker
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I have both. I have to admit that I'm partial to the 6.5". It ballances a little better and has the longer sight radius. Holster carring is a wash. I also like the std black sights vs teh red insert ( on my 5.5) but that is also personal. Either will keep you smiling IMHO.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:04 AM
44magnum

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Talking

I have a 4 5/8" Ruger Single six and love it. Has fixed sights too. I would vote for the 5 1/2" given your two choices. Would carry a little easier but not that much. As far as sight radius goes remember that size doesn't matter . Seriously, you wouldn't notice only one inch because if you are doing your part in aiming correctly, gun will do it's part. Try to get to your local gun shop and handle both side by side if possible. This would be best way to see which you might prefer in terms of how it balances and feels for you.

Good luck and happy shooting!
Old 10-02-2003, 08:06 PM
larry3screws

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
barrel options

Grizzly, Ideal picture is have one of each. My 9 1/2 can be a tacdriver but is hard to carry 6 1/2 balances best for me 51/2 still shoots great but I aint good enuf with it cept for snakes. The 17
hummers have hit the dealers now. If your,e still shopping this may be an option for me I,m gonna have to get one
Old 10-04-2003, 10:50 AM
magooch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine's a 6 1/2" stainless. One thing you didn't mention, so I will; don't overlook the magnum cylinder. One might as well have two guns in one.

If you have never shot a Single Six, you might find it a little difficult to shoot accurately until you get used to it. I originally bought mine just because I liked its looks. The first few times I shot it, I thought it was just inherently not very accurate. I have run across other shooters who thought the same thing.

I didn't give up on the gun and as I honed some of my techniques, I found that the Single Six is extremely accurate. I have a whole bunch of 22 handguns and the Single Six can compete with any of them.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:40 PM
maytom
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the 6 1/2" stainless and I love that gun!! It loves the Federal Lightning .22 shells best!! I'm seriously thinking of sending it out to have the action customized from Mag-na-port.
I partial to the single actions myself.