Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:42 AM
Chappers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Zeiss Scopes

Im putting together a single shot hunting rifle. I will be getting the rifle on Friday, at the moment i been looking around for a good European scope. It looks like the Zeiss 3-10 x40 look like the best for value at the momet (http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be5...256bcf0061320d) but i was looking for more this style (http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be5...256bcf0061320d) but that scope out of the price range. Can anyone recommend a Zeiss scope or any other European scope to me?
Old 03-04-2009, 07:08 AM
hesco
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
the web address you posted doesnt show a paticular scope have you looked at kalhes.

Last edited by hesco; 03-04-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:43 AM
Chappers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry about that, the first scope that i can afford is the Zeiss Conquest 3-9 x40 scope and the other that is out of my price range but i like the look of is the Zeiss Victory Varipoint 1.1-4 x24. The maximum i should... can spend is about $550 US. I will mostly hunt dear at a range of 100m to 200m (300m would be the max i shoot out to) what is Kalhes scopes like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2009, 09:40 AM
MGT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers View Post
Im putting together a single shot hunting rifle. I will be getting the rifle on Friday, at the moment i been looking around for a good European scope. It looks like the Zeiss 3-10 x40 look like the best for value at the momet (http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be5...256bcf0061320d) but i was looking for more this style (http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be5...256bcf0061320d) but that scope out of the price range. Can anyone recommend a Zeiss scope or any other European scope to me?
It sounds like your looking at the Zeiss Conquest series of scopes. This is the poorman's Zeiss All the Conquest scopes are assembled in USA, using German parts. The expensive Zeiss riflescopes are called the Victory series and are made in Germany. The Conquest's almost certainly uses Schott glass. Schott glass and Zeiss riflescope/binoculars, etc. optics share a common parent company.

If you want Conquest build quality riflescope, consider

1. Bushnell Elite 4200 and 6500, made by Light Optical Works
2. Nikon Monarch Gold, made by Kenko Philippine
3. Burris Signature, Black Diamond, Euro Diamond
4. Sightron SIII, made by Asia Optical Japan
5. Weaver Grand Slam and Super Slam, or T-series for target. made by Light Optical Works Japan
6. Leupold VX3 series and higher
7. Clearidge XP and XP5. Made by Light Optical Works

If you insist European, consider
1. Swarovski
2. Schmidt & Bender
3. Kahles
4. Meopta, Czech Republic, has some scopes in the $500 price range.

I would base my choice on careful requirements. Are you looking for a hunting scope or target? AO or non-AO. Any size or weight limits. Any closest focus requirements. Any special reticles? Remember that most European riflescope vendor in the USA will probably might have slightly less convient ways to get your warranty service done, as versus a Leupold or Sightron scope. For example, if you choose a Schmidt Bender, I would be getting on the phone with them asking where would the scope be serviced, USA or does it have to be shipped back to factory. What is turn around time for work if sent back to factory. I would also check to see if warranty required a receipt, and if warranty was transferable. For example, Sightron, Clearidge, and Leupold warranties are transferable. Weaver is not.

For example, if you were looking for a tough, small size, light weight hunting scope, the choice is very easy. Buy a Leupold. Almost ALL Euro hunting scopes tend to be heavier and larger than the equivalent Leupold. The European scopes also always seem to target the large objective (>50mm) and larger tube model s (30mm). Is a large objective a good idea? IMO no. Better multicoating and careful blackening of inside of tubes is probably more valuable than a large objective.

Last edited by MGT; 03-04-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:56 AM
MGT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Sorry about that, the first scope that i can afford is the Zeiss Conquest 3-9 x40 scope and the other that is out of my price range but i like the look of is the Zeiss Victory Varipoint 1.1-4 x24. The maximum i should... can spend is about $550 US. I will mostly hunt dear at a range of 100m to 200m (300m would be the max i shoot out to) what is Kalhes scopes like?
Kahles is given credit with making the first riflescope ever. They are based in Austria. They make very fine optics, unfortunately most of their scopes start about $800 USD on up.

I would strongly suggest looking at USA built VX3 scopes. For deer hunting scopes any of these will work:

VX3 1.5-5X20
VX3 1.75-6x32
VX3 2.5-8X35

Those Leupolds are probably close to the $450 to $550 range. Is there some reason you want a Euro scope, as it is not that easy to find Euro scopes in the $550 USD range. There are plenty of nice Light Optical Works made Bushnell 4200 in the $400 range that will make excellent hunting scopes.

To be perfectly honest, a $200 2-7X Bushnell Elite 3200 is about as nice and as tough a deer hunting scope you will find. The Bushnell 3-9X40 Elite 3200 models (about $180-$250) come with various color and reticle options, and probably represent a best buy in a quality deer hunting scope. A Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9X40 can occasionally be found for as low as $250 but I think it has only a single color, matte, and single reticle option, duplex.

Last edited by MGT; 03-04-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:19 AM
OldSwede
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (91)
Another fine deer hunting scope is the Mueller (Made in Japan) Tac2. An objective comparison of this scope and a Leupold VX-II or even a VX-III would reveal some surprises to most people. This, from a Leupold fan (me).
Old 03-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Chappers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First i would like to say is wow... MGT you have brought a lot of information to the table. So the Conquest scopes have different glass from the Zeiss scopes made in Germany, but are they still a good scope?
Leupold is out of the question, unfortunately there is only one company in Australia that has the rights to sell their scopes and now we have to pay around about $100 to $200 more than you guys in the states but i got to say looks like they make a nice scope.
Also what are the differences with AO and non-AO scope?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:17 PM
TheOpticZone
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Chapper,

If you are looking for a Leupold, send me an email. Matter a fact, if you are looking at any scope, let me know.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:35 PM
whiteywhiskers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i currently have 4 conquests (3-9x40) on centerfires, 1 swarovski (AV series) and 3 leupolds.

i chose the conquests because of the brightness and fixed eye relief. i do think they are brighter than the leupolds i have.

i do not know about the Zeiss warranty, but my experience with leupold is absolutely first rate. their service could not be better.

the swarovski (1" tube) is very good as well, but twice the price of a conquest.

my next scope will go on a .338 win. and will either be a conquest, because of the eye relief, or a VX3 because of the toughness.

I have a bushnell 4200 elite on a rimfire benchrest. while it is a good, glass it has never caused me to think of using other bushnells (i do not like 30mm tubes, so have not considered the new elite 6200).

if i were going to spend over 1k for a hunting scope, it would only be on a swarovski, but do not think the increase in price over the vx3 or conquest is justified--i would take the difference and either put it to an anschutz or cooper, or a high end binocular.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:10 PM
MGT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
First i would like to say is wow... MGT you have brought a lot of information to the table. So the Conquest scopes have different glass from the Zeiss scopes made in Germany, but are they still a good scope?
Leupold is out of the question, unfortunately there is only one company in Australia that has the rights to sell their scopes and now we have to pay around about $100 to $200 more than you guys in the states but i got to say looks like they make a nice scope.
Also what are the differences with AO and non-AO scope?

Here is the Chuck Hawk and SWFA ratings for various manufactures. Take these ratings for whatever it is worth. On both of these rating systems, Zeiss Victory scopes are in the number one spot, with the Conquest at a lower point.

I suspect both Conquest and Victory scopes use the same Schott glass. Schott has various grades of glass, so it is possible the Conquest uses a different grade of glass as well as different coatings and optical formulas, as well as mechanical parts. Also Schott has both a German component and North American component, so it would not surprise me if the Conquest purchased their glass from Schott N. America, and Victory purchased theirs from the German based Schott. Apparently Schott will sell coated optics, but the coatings used by Zeiss Optical is unique from the Schott coatings, and is not sold to third parties, even though both companies are owned by a common parent. So while it is possible that Leupold will buy and use some Schott glass in their riflescopes, they do not use the exact Zeiss optical coatings.

I would take up The Optic Zones offer on quoting you a Leupold price. Even if you have to pay import duty, you might still do better than your local prices. One thing I would check on is Leupold warranty. I did a brief check on Australian Leupold support, and it appears you are ok. You don't need to do anything special to get Leupold service where you live. The big key is that you don't have to go through your "official" Australian Importer for warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leupold warranty
Customers located in the following countries may return riflescopes to the product service facility in their country or the Leupold factory WITHOUT import/export licensing requirements:

AUSTRALIA, BELGIUM, DENMARK, FRANCE, GERMANY, GREECE, ICELAND, ITALY, JAPAN, LUXEMBOURG, NETHERLANDS, NEW ZEALAND, NORWAY, NEW CALEDONIA, PORTUGAL, SCOTLAND, SPAIN, TURKEY, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
I pulled the AO definition section from my derivation of parallax thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGT
Optical systems can focus only at a single distance. To allow the user to change focus, some riflescopes have a means to adjust focus. The most popular focusing mechanism is called a front AO (adjustable objective), and consists of a rotating front collar, that moves the front objective along the optical axis when turned. Another method is moving a focusing lens, located between the front objective and erector optics using a SF (side focus) knob that is usually located opposite of the windage control knob. In some rare cases, the focusing lens element is located in the rear, between the erector optics and the ocular, and is controlled by a rotating collar that is normally located where the magnification zoom collar is located in a variable riflescope.

The focused target image is located at the second focal plane, in the same plane as the reticle. For scopes that do not have adjustable focus, the focus is factory preset and is called the riflescope’s parallax range (aka focus range). Typical preset parallax ranges for a riflescope are: 50, 60, 75, 100, and 150 yards. If the target is located at a different range than the parallax range, the target image WILL NOT be in the reticle plane, but instead will be in front or behind the reticle plane. Because the target image and reticle are not in the same plane, one can see a parallax shift (aka PARALLAX ERROR) between reticle image and target image, if ones eyes are not exactly on the optical axis.
The previous poster has pointed out something that only a handful of riflescope advertises, which is CONSTANT EYE RELIEF. Zeiss, Nikon Monarchs, and Simmons Master Series scopes advertise constant eye relief scopes. I don't know how they do it though. Variable scopes will change eye relief distance with magnification power. Lower power ALWAYS have longer ERs than at HIGH power. The typical nominal change is about .5 to 1 inch from high to low power. For most people, this isn't an issue, as most scopes at low power allow a fair degree of ER tolerance that overlaps the high power ER position, before it becomes an issue, but for some it is bother. It is this low power tolerance that is one of the reasons one ALWAYS adjusts the ideal position of the scope in the rings at high power, as setting the ER position is more critical than at low power due to much smaller exit pupil at high power. Leupolds are not constant ER scopes.

Last edited by MGT; 03-04-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Chappers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To TheOpticZone PM sent.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Chappers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just like to see what’s your option of putting on a 1.8-5.5x38 on a single shot?