Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:51 PM
davemustaine

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
BB, CM-2 Cadet, or CM-2 Adult

I'm going to buy one of the three rifles mentioned. It will be used for informal 25 - 35 yd benchrest competitions my friends and I have during the winter months. I will be mounting a scope. Which one would be the most accurate and suitable to this situation? I already have an older Vostok that I use for open sights. I read that the Cadet has the same barrel as the BB. I'm thinking that either the Cadet or Adult would be better for shooting from the bench than the BB. Any differences in accuracy between the Cadet and Adult? Then there is the BB with that cool action...decisions, decisions. What do you guys think?
Old 08-30-2008, 05:25 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemustaine View Post
I'm going to buy one of the three rifles mentioned. It will be used for informal 25 - 35 yd benchrest competitions my friends and I have during the winter months. I will be mounting a scope. Which one would be the most accurate and suitable to this situation? I already have an older Vostok that I use for open sights. I read that the Cadet has the same barrel as the BB. I'm thinking that either the Cadet or Adult would be better for shooting from the bench than the BB. Any differences in accuracy between the Cadet and Adult? Then there is the BB with that cool action...decisions, decisions. What do you guys think?
Purely as a bench rifle, the CM-2 Adult is - hands down - the most accurate. I own all three and while all are accurate, the Adult takes the honors for accuracy.

The CM-2 Cadet does NOT have the same barrel as the Adult model. Rather it looks to be the same barrel as the BB-7-2KO.

If you intend to use your rifle for anything more than bench rest shooting, consider the BB-7-2KO as the better option. The Cadet is still a single shot and not really a field gun. The Cadet could be used for silhouette matches or three position competition but for hunting or field use the BB is the better choice. That's my opinion anyway.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Charlotte
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
I have a BB and a CM-2 Adult and the BB never gets used. It's a great little rifle but I like the trigger on the CM-2 better. If you are going to be competing even if just for bragging rights go with the CM-2. It's great to have a bunch of terrific rifles and I do, but I find that most of them are just dust collectors because of the CM-2 and the new 1907 and I am still NOT convinced the NEW Annie is a better shooter. Everyone keeps telling me that shooting with a new rifle I should expect my scores to drop, but I've never experienced this much of a retreat. In other words, the more I shoot the Annie the better I like my CM-2. If, I repeat, If I were to sell my 1907 I would spend the money upgrading the stock on the CM-2 AND get another CM-2.
Oh yeah, back to you. CM-2 without a doubt. Just to be able to shoot better than your friends when you get together. Clean it good first and the gun isn't very picky about ammo, but keep it standard velocity. Mine likes Wolf MT or Match Extra (I can't say one is better than the other) or the SK equivalents.
Federal 711B and 714 are just about equal to the others but I think they shoot a little dirtier and faster so I lean toward Wolf and SK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2008, 11:43 AM
white house
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As for the scope thing my CM2 has only the side rail for the rear aperture sight assembly (mine's a 1960s URAL 1 Vostok) so it looks like you probably need to stick to getting the New CM2 (Adult). Some used CM2s have top rails I've read here but getting one sounds hit and miss.