Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-02-2003, 06:54 AM
W191
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs down Single Six magnum...what a waste

I'm going to vent. That magnum cylinder sent with the 6 1/2" Ruger Single Six is a waste of money IMO. Have given up on finding any 'quality' 22 MWR that will fire completely away unburned. The LR fires about any LR ammo cleanly away. I've noticed others owners appear to have simular problems. If you purchase a Single Six for LR shooting only you should do fine. Did Ruger test that magnum cylinder? Venting complete.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:21 AM
Regulis7

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have owned various single action's with 22lr/22mag cylinders since the early 80's, everything from the el cheapo imported aluminum frame jobs to the Rugers.

I have yet to find a mag cylinder that will consume all the powder thats contained in a 22mag round. Considering that the mag round has roughly twice the powder as a standard lr round and its firing through the same length cylinder its just an impossible task to burn all the powder.

The 22mag in a revolver is not efficient, but it does hold a bit more punch than the 22lr round coming from the same gun. If you want to see where the 22mag round shines then get a long gun, something with say 22 inch barrel, but dont freak when you look down the bore...it will be dirty.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:06 AM
Plinker
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

The Foothills of the Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.
TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I have had a Single Six

with the extra Mag cylinder for about
30 yrs or so.
Mine has a nine inch barrel.

Yes,they do get dirty.The slower burn'in powder used in the Mag just can't be burnt
in a handgun.

But for hunt'in,I don't fire that many rounds for it to be a problem.

And as stated above it does pack more
punch than the LR.

You just have to clean it more often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2003, 09:01 PM
452 shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would be more concerned on how accurately it shot the 22 mag rounds. I have a CZ 22 mag with nearly a 25" barrel and it's barrel is full of crap after a range session. I would not consider it to be a problem.

I have a 5.5" Single Six and the only problem I have with the mag cylinder is marginal accuracy. Have not tested a lot of ammo - but the ones I did try were nothing to write home about. The 22lr cylinder shoots very well.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:59 PM
slabsides

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unburned powder? So what? How does it SHOOT? that's the only important question. As to how it SHOULD shoot, compare it to my Stainless SS, 200th year, which has had light trigger honing, forcing cone chamfer, and a gazillion cycles of dryfire. Trigger pull is under 3 lbs with a slightly tweaked factory spring, and cylinder gap is a tight .0015. Winchester and CCI ammo groups 1-1/2" at 25 yards, and it will turn a porky or 'chuck inside out at that distance or a little more. What more could you want? If you want more, Ruger makes a nice .357, which with most of its most effective loads in my guns, also leaves unburned powder granules for me to be unconcerned about!
Old 07-06-2003, 09:03 AM
claketyclak

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
maybe i was just lucky , accuracy wise i mean . i had a single six about 20-25 yrs ago and this thing seemed to love the hi velocity rounds whether it was 22mag or stingers , it seemed to group best with these . at this time i was a total handgun hunter and the single six would shoot one ragged hole for me at 25 yds with open sights and did it better with the magnum loads and cci stingers . one gun i have kicked myself for getting rid of . back then i bought it used in ec condition for 100.00 . double kick . also at this time i was fanatic about cleaning my weapons , sometimes every ten rounds when i was shooting for groups , can't say that it made a difference or not , just how i was back then .
Old 07-11-2003, 09:02 AM
W191
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FYI

Took the 22 magnum cylinder with me to the range. Finally found a box of Remington Premier V-Max (green tip) rounds. Loaded and fired at the 25 yard target from a rest. Holy S***! First three close to center. Fired the box and was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy and hardly NO unburned powder. That was great since it made it much easier to eject the bullets. No clogging of the ejector rod. I finally found the right ammo for that Single Six.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:55 PM
452 shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah - too bad it is the 10 buck a box stuff! But , since you had such good results I may try a few rounds of the Rem Premier through mine next time.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:15 PM
claketyclak

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
if i remeber right , 20-25 yrs ago most 22 mag ammo on the shelf at your basement dealers were winchester super x , didn't have all that much variety back then , and i think the other was federal . but i still don't know why your getting so much fouling . maybe they have changed the powders since then . but i would think that they would have been more prone to use slow powders back then as handgun hunting wasn't the rave it is now . any hoot glad ya found some ammo you like , if i get the chance to get another single six at a decent price , i'm gonna jump on it . happy shooting , claketyclak out .
Old 07-15-2003, 01:10 PM
Wee Hooker
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
FWIW, I found that my old style .22 mag only version SS shoots mags better than my new style convertable. Of course we are talking about a sampleing of one, and the guns differ slightly, so it's not significant , just an observation. Anybody else shooting a Mag only version?