how often are you cleaning your 17 hornet? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:24 PM
Ratpaker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
how often are you cleaning your 17 hornet?

As the title says, how often are you cleaning before accuracy drops off?
I will be using mine as a night vision equipped fox rifle here in Australia so my first shot needs to be bang on, I don't want to clean every time I use it as the first shot on a clean barrel will not be right on, my only other alternative is to fire 2 or 3 fouling shots before hunting.
Rifle is a savage model 25, seems to shoot best using he Hornady 25 grain factory loads so far, will be reloading for it soon.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use the 17 Hornet a bit differently. I'll fire 200 or so rounds during the course of a day, then clean the next day or so. Haven't then shot a target after 200 rounds but I'm still minute of gopher after that many rounds.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:05 PM
Ratpaker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok, thanks, that's what I needed to know, I'm shooting foxes so they are a bit bigger...lol
I have about 60 rounds down the tube, been cleaned twice, wasn't sure how quickly the barrels on them foul up...my hmr prefers to be left dirty for 100 rounds or more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2019, 01:43 AM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Its a centerfire round so I would not let it go more than 30 rounds between cleanings, unless you have a great day of hunting and got about 40 or so foxes. Its not a rimfire, so do not shoot boxes and boxes through it before you clean.

Your hmr is a rimfire and not nearly as fast, so copper will foul up much quicker in the Hornet.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:04 AM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm with Gizzy. My 527A starts to show a decrease in accuracy right about 25-30 shots. I'm only talking 1/4 -3/8" at 100 yds. As long as my bore is clean and dry there are no first shot fliers after cleaning.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:33 AM
ronsatspokane

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I don't really get this. I'm firing 200 or so center fire rounds in a weekend of matches and I'll clean when I'm done. Most of the time. I need to foul the bore before it starts shooting again. Never hear of anyone cleaning a center fire rifle with that few rounds down the tube.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:27 AM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsatspokane View Post
I don't really get this. I'm firing 200 or so center fire rounds in a weekend of matches and I'll clean when I'm done. Most of the time. I need to foul the bore before it starts shooting again. Never hear of anyone cleaning a center fire rifle with that few rounds down the tube.
There are some of us who like to shoot sub 1/4" groups, and that cannot be done with that much copper down the bore, and with a barrel that hot. I could not shoot my rifles that many times in a day without knowing they are way too hot. The hotter that barrel, the more copper it will collect, and collect it way too fast,m which makes you rgun inaccurate for many of us. Most of my centerfire rifles are capable of sub 1/8" groups on a good day, and no way they would be that good is I shot as much as you.

There are 3 gun shooters, who MUST shoot fast, and often, but not as accurate as those of us who HUNT and want our guns minute of eye ball at 300 yards. Depends on how you use your weapon as to how often you clean it. This guy who asked is a hunter, so he needs to clean more often.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:09 AM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When trying to find a load my new 17HH liked I found nothing but frustration instead. A load that showed promise the day before didn't the next time. The more I tested, the worse things got. After about 50 rounds I decided to clean the bore. Very little copper came out so it was clear Savage didn't make the barrel. Just powder fouling was enough to ruin things for me. Rifle still likes a clean bore.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:12 AM
huntsman22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
those of us who HUNT and want our guns minute of eye ball at 300 yards. This guy who asked is a hunter
I guess I'm just not a actual 'hunter'........ I've NEVER cleaned a rifle that much, including ALL of my 17's. And few hunters can 'shoot minute of eyeball at 300' from field positions at that range. And most hunting is done from field positions. Unless, of course, you consider shooting from a bench, hunting....
Old 11-17-2019, 09:17 AM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I do have a few Field Mice that have met their maker on my backstop....
Old 11-17-2019, 09:33 AM
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Brother Ratpacker; I see a loss of accuracy in both my hm2 and 17HH after 25 rounds, both CZ,s but hmr H&R I can run several more thru it before a visual loss if accuracy. The Hornet is used to shoot Chuck's in the head at extended distances, so it critical that it be accurate.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So to hit a ground squirrel ( what about 2" by 6" on a full size grown one) at three hundred yards I need to clean my 17 Hornet seven time during the course of the day and lose 10% (three per cleaning) of the 200 rounds fired for fouling shots? I already carry enough stuff out in the field. When I miss it's me not the rifle.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:04 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
What .17 HH cleaning regime are you all using? With my .22's, I put a borescope down the barrel to see how I'm doing. With a .17 it's got to be feel and faith.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:52 PM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hoppes #9 followed by Wipe out patch out for the small amount of copper it collects then Hoppes again. Doesn't take much. That's a deep clean. To restore accuracy after 25-30 just one #9 and patches until dry.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To clean I have recently been using Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner two or three times in a row. With the 22 and 17 Hornet's though you cant get the flexible hose to fit in the chamber. So it's back to the install the chamber plug and fill the bore with Hoppes Copper Formula. Use a piece of plastic bag and tape the muzzle over so it doesn't evaporate. I use Hoppes because I think (dont actually know) it's the mildest cooper remover. Then the rifle sits for 24 or so hours. Nylon brush followed by patch's. If any blue shows on the dry patch's then the camber get swabbed followed by a couple more dry patch's and then a course of Montana Extreme Copper Killer. It will be clean after the second course. Then just oil the bore, swab the chamber,clean and lube the bolt races and seats, lube the bolt and wipe down.