Cleaning rod jags and brushes? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-11-2019, 03:39 PM
hawkeye62
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
Anyone use a Boretech 22cal rimfire rod. its listed a .195" diameter.
I use a Pro Shot 22cal rimfire rod. It measures 0.195 inches. As mentioned earlier, the 20cal rods have different threads than the 22cal rods.

Good, Jim
Old 11-11-2019, 04:02 PM
justinp61
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
Anyone use a Boretech 22cal rimfire rod. its listed a .195" diameter.
Yes, I have a 44" that measures .192", I removed the soft outer handle and the hard inner handle measures .810".

Last edited by justinp61; 11-11-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:17 PM
Fotheringill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosam View Post
Would never ever use a coated rod in a benchrest gun. . Pro shot .187 cleaning rod with a .22 rimfire jag and brush. Dont ever use coated rods they will cause damage to the barrel
I didn't like the lack of coating here and there. I have been using an IVY .187 rod with a narrower handle and a .22 aluminum jag. I will be getting a backup from Pro Shot, now that I know (from above) they make one. Ivy recently closed down shop.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:37 PM
Turbosam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Huh what? You read my post right? Coated cleaning rods pick up debry and will ware the barrel out. It's a known fact in the benchrest community.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:10 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye62 View Post
I use a Pro Shot 22cal rimfire rod. It measures 0.195 inches. As mentioned earlier, the 20cal rods have different threads than the 22cal rods.

Good, Jim
I use a standard Pro Shot .22 cal rod that I use for everything up to my .338WM and down to my rimfires. Never had a problem with it. I bought a set of very nice brass jags from Midway a long time ago and have been using them with patches and chemicals . I almost never use a brush in my bores any more once I learned how to use chemicals to clean properly without the abuse brushes can cause in a bore IMO...

Bob
Old 11-17-2019, 07:09 PM
todde

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We use proshot 17 caliber rods with adapter,standard 22 caliber jags with .005 removed,1 1/8 proshot patches,22 caliber centerfire brushes and a bore cleaner thats close to the Ed's red mix. Im not exactly sure the length of cleaning rod but probably 44 inch. We use bore guides that take the center insert and make the insert to fit the rod. Our rifles are cleaned after every target. Most matches my wife and I shoot the same rifle. That means the rifle will be cleaned 12 times per match. We bore scope often and see no damage from our cleaning. The key to minimize bore damage is controlling rod flex. The only way to get better at it is just do it. It takes practice to get better but a necessary evil. Using the brush is typically the worst for rod flex. If a person feels uncomfortable with brush they should just pull the brush. We used to pull brush only and felt like it was fine but it would take three + pulls for us to feel like it was enough. What we do now is, one dry patch, one wet patch, three in and out strokes of brush, one wet patch and one dry patch after each card. Throw the brush away after each match.
Just buy a quality cleaning rod and come up with a procedure and stick with it. The more you do it the more common it becomes. Nobody wants to damage a barrel from cleaning but nobody wants to shoot a leaded up barrel that wont shoot either. Cleaning is just something that has to be done to keep performance up.
Todd
Old 11-26-2019, 07:18 AM
Ralph Spoilsport

TPC Rating: 
88% (6)
Quote:
Huh what? You read my post right? Coated cleaning rods pick up debry and will ware the barrel out. It's a known fact in the benchrest community.
I'm in the BR community and I've never heard that known fact.

I've used coated rods for many years and haven't seemed to ruin my barrels.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:50 AM
Turbosam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry you dont know that fact. It's been known for a while and isnt new by any means. If you use a coated rod then I would look into switching. That coating can carry priming debris and wear a barrel out or damage it. Do some research you'll see. You're allowed to use whatever you want, I could care less it's your equipment. I will never use coated cleaning rods
Old 11-27-2019, 11:05 PM
Turbosam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You would be wrong ford or Chevy comparison. Internet knows everything huh? Lmao you guys just want to prove someone wrong, that's fine be ignorant ruin your barrels I dont care. Ask the top shooters what they use. It sure and hell isnt a coated rod because they know better. Ford chevy lmao that's the dumbest comparison used in this situation.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:09 PM
Turbosam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
By the way not all rods pick up debris as you state. Hardened steel does not get penetrated by priming debris like a coated rod will. Oh by the way tony boyer stopped shooting rimfire wasnt that good at it. Top shooters in rimfire are not using Dewey's or boretech. Look around again and stop relying on the internet for answers. Top shooters
Old 11-28-2019, 10:15 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
IMO a rod can only hurt the bore, breech, and/or the muzzle if it touches/drags on them during cleaning.
That said ss and carbon fiber rods used here.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:51 AM
Blaser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I switched to Pro Shot and Ivy stainless steel
one-piece rods.
Both of these brands are very well made and I like the
hardened and highly polished surfaces. They are easy
to wipe down and are nearly impervious to solvents or
primer abrasive.
Being that they are highly polished and very hard, the
fouling does not dig into the rod and become bedded.
This is one concern with some low-quality coated
rods.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:42 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Sorry you dont know that fact. It's been known for a while and isnt new by any means. If you use a coated rod then I would look into switching. That coating can carry priming debris and wear a barrel out or damage it. Do some research you'll see. You're allowed to use whatever you want, I could care less it's your equipment. I will never use coated cleaning rods
Turbosam---how are you/others making this determination? Not argueing that it is certainly POSSIBLE, but just trying to learn. Do you see it or feel it, or what? Microscopic examination of the coating? Others please chime in here as well.... My well used coated rods all seem very smooth, with no obvious imbedded material noted either by visible exam or otherwise (feel?) While not a serious rimfire BR shooter, I have been using coated rods like forever in my centerfires (with a properly fitting rod guide, of course), and sometimes use the coated rods on my rimfires. However, my rimfire cleaning is usually accomplished with a simple "pull through" (multiple passes using "Patch Worm") after every match or range outing, with a periodic scrubbing of the chamber and leade area (carbon ring) with JB when the borescope indicates it to be needed. If this regimen has affected the accuracy I certainly would have seen this. My well used and MANY times cleaned Rem 40X rimfire (my primary rimfire benchrest rifle, local ARA style competition) shoots just fine (NO change in accuracy that I can determine) using this technique, so again, just trying to learn here. Of COURSE, when using the coated rod, I do carefully wipe it down after each pass.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:34 PM
justinp61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The only time my rifles see a rod is if they need a brush ran through them. I always pull a cotton patch through with a piece of monofilament fishing line. So I have no worries about my coated rods ruining the bores on my rifles, honestly it wouldn't be a concern if I did use the rod for everything.

Last edited by justinp61; 11-30-2019 at 12:37 PM.