Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2019, 01:54 AM
BlackBat242

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Delete all of the above...

OK - remember, don't believe what you read on the internet.

The Utah Gun Collectors' Association held their gun show this weekend just ended - in my home town, no hour-long drive for this one, yay!

However, I found something there that completely changed my assessment of that .32 S&W Long pistol I got last Monday.

I picked up a book at the gun show... "History of Smith & Wesson" by Roy Jinks.
Roy was S&W's official historian when the book was published in 1977.

It appears that while all other J-frame S&W revolvers got serials starting with J, one carry-over model did not.

That was the model 30 - the successor to the model 1903 Hand Ejector in .32 S&W.
Instead, those continued the 1903 serial sequence until production ended in 1970... with #826977.

As that is only ~1,500-1,600 numbers higher than mine, it appears that mine really is a J-frame produced in 1970.

As mine does not have a screw for the cylinder stop in the front of the trigger guard where it joins the frame, it is not an I-frame, but a J-frame.

As for the cylinder window length, the model 30 J-frame kept the short window of the I-frame.

So, my pistol is actually a 1970, much newer than I thought (although nearly identical to the older ones), which means much less worry over whether it will handle hotter loads & jacketed hollow-point bullets... a bonus for me!