How'dy.. I'm in need of a good classic revolver . double action. Opinions? - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:17 AM
StdVel

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)

I also think the 6” H&R Sportsman is pretty hard to beat for the money. Double action is rough but single action is all you’d use for squirrel.

I do have a 617 with 8 3/8” barrel and six shot cylinder. It’s pretty darn accurate but I find I just don’t shoot it much. I guess it’s for sale if anyone feels the need to have one. PM me if interested.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:00 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAJoeinMD View Post
I do love a double action except for squirrels. So I have to suggest to you to consider Ruger Single or perhaps Colt New Frontier or Frontier Scout. You can get them with mag cylinders too and they shoot great and are a lot of fun. Get 6-7.5 inch barrels.

I have one.
A super single six I bought with hay money in the mid 70s
Still have it.
Still have the magnum cylinder.
9" barrel.
Ivory grips.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:06 PM
buckweet

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
After reading all these posts..
I've came to the conclusion, I already have some top notch pistols.
Probably be wise just to shoot what I have.
Don't you think ?
Old 08-30-2019, 01:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
Don't you think ?
And what you don't shoot you can send to me for christmas.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:30 PM
scubaquad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
S&W 17 in 6-inches has the best trigger, accuracy and portability combination for hunting. Try to find one with a target trigger and hammer. 4 inches will do. 8-3/8 can be more accurate, but it’s a bit heavier. The 617 holds 10 rounds, but the trigger pull is not nearly as nice.

Ruger, Colt, Taurus maybe okay, but the triggers are not as nice and you can’t do anything about them unless you’re a skilled gunsmith and/or want to spend a lot of money on them. You can lighten a S&W trigger with a $13 spring kit in five minutes.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Don't you think ?
Now you're just teasin'. Still, you have to use what you're comfortable with and what works for you. My last bit of enablin': 617 groups with CCI SV, first day out with an Ultradot.

And with a variety of other ammo:

I bet your Buckmark could do as well or better, but the 617 is no slouch.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:03 PM
700PSS Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
early S&W 617, etc.

First a disclaimer: I prefer my revolvers to be stainless, and to have 6 shots in .22RF. Stainless will not show holster wear and marks will polish out. 6 shots has a certain feel to the trigger.

That out of the way, I would say the early S&W 617, 617-1 series revolvers in 4" with 6-shot cylinders and the 3 Ts (target trigger, target hammer, adjustable trigger over-travel adjustment, and target or combat stocks). They will be square butt. There is a rare round butt version but very pricey. I bought the 6" when they were first released in the 1980s. Finding the 4" at a decent price was a search until 2 years ago. People just do NOT sell the older S&W 617 4" .22 revolvers.

I have a 6" version and a 4" version. The 6" is the single most accurate .22RF handgun I own, but it is heavy. It always outshot my S&W 41 and High Standard match pistols, as well as all my Ruger Mark II and III series autos. It also preferred CCI Stingers and Mini-mags, which equaled good target ammo. Go figure. The 4" 617 is perfection and if you have a 4" S&W 686 or S&W 66 is the perfect 'trainer'. They made a 8 3/6th version but not for me. I do not like the 10 shot variants or the lock variants.

I have never had any extraction problems with the 617s.

For a smaller piece, I have a Ruger SP101 with windage adjustable rear sight blade in the frame and a 4" half shroud barrel. It is a good accurate field gun, but not in the S&W class.

I once has a Colt Officers Model Target that was very, very nice, but as it was in near 99% condition, so I did not use it much and eventually sold it to a Colt DA revolver collector.

The older Dan Wessons are very nice, especially if you find a "Pistol Pak" with the interchangable barrels and attache case. But they are now costly.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:43 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Don't you think ?
I think you're kind of a buzz kill, just when we were really getting pumped trying to get you to buy another .22 you don't need .

If you want the ultimate in rimfire revolver accuracy, and you have failing eyesight, I would recommend the Freedom Arms M97 in .22 LR. It will cost you about $2K in hay money, but not nearly as much as a Korth, it's stainless steel, and scope mounting is a breeze, though SA only. Even if you have to sell some of those guns you don't shoot much, I would say well worth it. I'm only half kidding.

My solution was to rebarrel an early S&W M63. About as accurate as I think a J-frame S&W could be. I used a Hart barrel blank, and did it myself, but you could probably accomplish the same thing for about half the amount of hay money a M97 would cost you.

I would get the Freedom Arms revolver

TBR

Last edited by TEDDY BEAR RAT; 08-30-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:04 PM
Boonedoggle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger single six, 22lr +m ag cylinder. Total c lassic. Mines pretty accurate and gun.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:25 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Thanks guys..
I do have an older Smith.. k-17 with a 8 3/8 Barrel.
Target hammer and trigger.
Six shooter.. it's almost like a rifle.
Just wishing it had came with a shorter Barrel.
I bought it from my neighbor years ago.
He had a presentation set.. consecutive serial numbers.
It still looks brand new.
My biggest problem is carrying it.
Holsters are pretty much non existing.
I have it in a old flap holster now.
Like the old west cowboy holsters.
It works, but not the best fit. I carry it cross draw.butt forward.
I've been thinking about? Maybe find a chest holster for it.?
Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions.
If you think your Model 17 with an 8-3/8 barrel is cumbersome, try the 617 in that barrel length with the full lug.

Mine could use a bipod and wheels.

I consider it to be more of a piece of artillery than a handgun.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:52 PM
buckweet

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonedoggle View Post
Ruger single six, 22lr +m ag cylinder. Total c lassic. Mines pretty accurate and gun.

Mine is too.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:48 PM
jcfergus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StdVel View Post
I also think the 6 H&R Sportsman is pretty hard to beat for the money. Double action is rough but single action is all youd use for squirrel.
I agree. Ive got both an early fifties pre-17 and a 1976 999 Sportsman. The H&R is a better field gun IMO and has better sights. Its just about as accurate as the Smith but lighter and holds more rounds and as a break-top, is easier to reload. As StdVel says, DA is not too useful, but SA is good. They seem to be listed for $400 or less. Definitely a strong contender for your use case.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:29 PM
kabong57
National Guard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Agree on the 999 Sportsman. I am biased as it is the first pistol I ever purchased. Feel naked if it doesn't go along every trip to the range.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:53 PM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Hi Buckwheat!

Ive been monitoring this thread out of great interest. Mostly to see where the heck it might go. Its great fun!

It looks to me that you are pretty content with your trusty Buckmark and 9.5 Single Six. Now you are beginning to think that you might not get anything at all. Maybe that will be what you ultimately decide to do, who knows at this point??

You have a great revolver Check.
You have a great semi-auto Check.

But let me put another option on the table for you to chew on. You say you want an accurate squirrel pistol. Let me suggest a Thompson Center Contender. You can start with 22 LR and expand out to most any cartridge you little heart desires.

Let me show you one of my Contenders. It is a stainless frame version with a MGM 12 22LR match chamber. I have it set up for Silhouette shooting and the scope is a rifle scope so that I can shoot standing with a Taco hold, per regulations.

Here is a sample of its capabilities. This is 10 rounds of SK STD+ at 50 yards with the forearm laying on a shooting bag. I just shot at the target, doing the best I could. I am not a great shot truth be told. Certainly, others can do better with it. It does shoot better than most of my rifles.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TC12SKSTDPLUS (Large).jpg (319.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-31-2019, 03:56 PM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The old Dan Wesson 22's are nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190305_094314_1567281232653.jpg (493.0 KB, 4 views)