Deer Flies for mowing entertainment - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:07 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I haven’t even seen a mosquito this year.
......Tom Petty
Old 07-29-2019, 06:56 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post

Could have saved you about an hour and fourteen minutes....and you'd have a helmet too. Never heard of a yellow fly. Wonder what is special about blue. Never seen a blue deer. 1917
When I said, all you need is a hat, I never image that! I almost spit coffee on my keyboard when I saw that. Literally LOL
Old 07-30-2019, 10:03 AM
vet6771
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowalkintexan View Post
Years ago, my dad would buy the cheapest cigars that Walgreens had,,,, basically anchor rope,,,,he smoked them when working out doors,,, never had any problem with deer flies, or horse flies, near the stables either.

I use some pretty strong cigars now. ‘red Lion’. And they work great, and they even taste nice
When I was in the air Force (many years ago) we used to smoke Marsh Wheeling cigars. Talk about cheap and stinky! Don't know if they are even still in business, but my guess is that they would repel almost any oxygen breathing life form.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:19 PM
MacTech

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee3 View Post
Deer flies are about the most evil bug I encounter in my local mountains. I seem to have a worse reaction to their bite than most folks. I'd almost rather deal with tarantulas in my sleeping bag.

Does anyone know if there's a deer fly "calendar" available somewhere, showing when they will be active in particular regions?
Over here in seacoastal Maine/NH, I see the deer fly and raise you....

Black Flies (similar painful bite, but much, much smaller insect), plus, they *swarm*…

Greenheads/horseflies

Moose Flies, which are greenheads, but twice as big!

then of course there's the Wood/Dog Tick, and the Deer Tick, the Deer Tick spreads Lyme Disease, which is a horrible illness....

Deer Flies are a minor pest compared to these monsters...
Old 07-30-2019, 09:48 PM
Shamokinbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Who doesn't enjoy a little lyme disease
Old 07-31-2019, 05:18 PM
RJF22553
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTech View Post
Over here in seacoastal Maine/NH, I see the deer fly and raise you....

Black Flies (similar painful bite, but much, much smaller insect), plus, they *swarm*…

Greenheads/horseflies

Moose Flies, which are greenheads, but twice as big!

then of course there's the Wood/Dog Tick, and the Deer Tick, the Deer Tick spreads Lyme Disease, which is a horrible illness....

Deer Flies are a minor pest compared to these monsters...
Got 'em all here, plus horse flies (aka B-52 bombers). Our horses come running to me when they come out, and I carry a fly-swatter for that very purpose.

Most all draw blood. Had a black fly follow me from the farm, along the car ride, and to the doc's office: I guess it just liked me. Not sure where I got rid of it; perhaps someone else at the Doc Shop was more appealing...
Old 07-31-2019, 10:10 PM
Slowalkintexan

Texas' beautiful hill country, Michigan's golden left coast.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vet6771 View Post
When I was in the air Force (many years ago) we used to smoke Marsh Wheeling cigars. Talk about cheap and stinky! Don't know if they are even still in business, but my guess is that they would repel almost any oxygen breathing life form.
Marsh Wheeling has gone out of business,,, a wonderful old line cigar company. don’t know what happened,

However, I have smoked them for over 59 years and think they are a great smoke.. I have enough boxes of them stashed away to last for ever.!!
Old 07-31-2019, 11:21 PM
Oldblades
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTech View Post

.................. and the Deer Tick, the Deer Tick spreads Lyme Disease, which is a horrible illness....

Bounce fabric softener sheet under a ball cap and draped down across the back of your neck for the black flies. Learned that from a deep northwoods lady that has run a fishing lodge for 50 years. Bounce is all that will work.

Lyme disease is frustrating to get treatment for around here, yet quite common. Not enough money in the medical field towards training to recognize it, nor properly treat it. (my wifes toes all turned purple and she was bedridden for a week).

She was treated and tested for everything under the sun, (lotsa 'lets see if this does anything) which simply turned out to be WAGs. Buddy has stage 4 which is brutal.
Wish we had the docs of the northeast that take it as serious as it really is.