Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:09 PM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A question about this 52D

I have sort of been keeping an eye on 52D guns being offered up for sale of late, as my oldest son has begun to express an interest in picking one up to use in our club matches. I noticed this one on GB and closing out tomorrow:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/819461257

At first glance it looks like a nice specimen at a reasonable price considering the Mark 5 rear sight with what appears to be an adjustable aperture. But after saving the photos to my computer and closely inspecting things, the surface finish of the metal just doesn't look right to me....particularly on some areas of the receiver, on the barrel under the rear sight block near the receiver, and on the barrel near the front barrel block. What am I seeing.....is their some corrosion or some such causing the rough and striated appearance - unlike the expected smooth shiny finish elsewhere, or is this an artifact of the camera and the relatively poor pics?

I'm not an expert on these guns when it comes to finish.....what do you guys think? I'm not familiar with the seller, but he is billing it as a 98% (original?) finish gun.

James
Old 07-08-2019, 04:42 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
James, my guess is that is has been re-blued at some point, or just not as highly polished as some. I would see if Steve (seewin) would look at the pictures and give you his expert opinion. Other than that, it looks very nice. Looks like a standard barrel, but I am not a collector, just know what shoots and what don't.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:42 PM
Greg Palman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I don't see

what you are talking about re metal. Looks ok to me. Pic 23 shows roll marked logos and they look crisp, as in not polished an re-blued, at least to me.

I would question the stock finish, it looks just too good and shiny. I would be nice to see the crown.

The rear sight is a Redfield Mark 8, which has 1/8" click value at 100 yds. It looks nice if all in working order. On any item of this value I would not buy unless I could get a 3 day inspection and return no questions asked. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2019, 05:50 PM
Big Larry
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Also, if you do, be sure to check the bolt to see if the serial number matches. Deep devaluation if it is not a match. Big Larry
Old 07-08-2019, 06:42 PM
M52E1
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Considering what it is, the starting price is a bit dear. Commercial 52D with International Mk-8 rear sight and Olympic front with worn Merit Disc. The finish looks to be original and in my mind this is a $1,000 rifle.

Other than club rifles used by kids, you seldom see anyone using Redfield sights (front or rear) at a smallbore prone match and their presence in 3-P is about zero.

Bill
Old 07-08-2019, 06:45 PM
dokey
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I don't know what's going on with the bluing around the serial number on the receiver. My guess it was more than freckling that didn't come out when it was polished and reblued
Old 07-08-2019, 07:17 PM
noisy2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
52D

look into rock island auction has a 52d and a remington together
Old 07-08-2019, 07:32 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will echo George on this, I can shoot them very well, but don't consider myself to be an expert on them when it comes to some of the fine details hence one reason for posting. I guess it was just that in some areas the metal surface had a nice almost blemish free shiny surface while other areas like I mentioned left me wondering if perhaps a wire brush had been used on it. With photos, it's sometimes hard to tell. And yes, a photo of the crown would have been nice. But frankly, I'm not always sure what I'm looking at where photos are concerned. I wanted to see what you guys had to say, because you know much more than I do about the details....and I'm a great believer in learning from other folk's expertise. I most likely will not put in a bid - I'm not confident of the finish along with other possible issues - and we are in no hurry, but as I said, I've been keeping an eye open for a nice original low milage 52. As to the price, it may be a bit overpriced, but on the other hand, I'm pretty confident I could keep the sights and sell the gun locally at a good price - enough to get the sights on the cheap....if the finish is original. Can't say about the stock, if it's been refinished, it's been used some since. My personal preference is a commercial gun rather than U.S marked.

As to the sights, I am thinking I would like to have a nice set of original Redfield sights...either MK 8 (sorry for the typo above) or Palma to put on one of my 52s. Our matches use scopes, so the sights were for me to use just for fun.

You guys are the best....thanks for the information.

James

Last edited by pump .22s; 07-08-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:28 PM
Seewin

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
Finish look's original to me based on what I see in pictures. As to possible freckling, I will decline a comment, pictures are just not good enough to make a determination. You might also want to look at the same rifle here:
https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...-action-rifles

Steve
Old 07-08-2019, 08:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Not a 52 expert by any means but I have put my hands on quite a few. I have noticed gunk, dried oil around the scope blocks of a few that were no doubt original blue, maybe that is what you are seeing? Hard to get into all the nooks and crannies over the years.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:39 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seewin View Post
Finish look's original to me based on what I see in pictures. As to possible freckling, I will decline a comment, pictures are just not good enough to make a determination. You might also want to look at the same rifle here:
https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...-action-rifles

Steve
Aha.....yes, that does shed some light on the issue. Pictures can sure change the looks of things.

What's with the rear sight....is that a rubber eye cup just warped out of shape?

Son is not ready to buy one just yet, but I knew you guys would have some insight on how to decipher what was in the pics on GB. Do many of you buy from Rock Island?
Old 07-09-2019, 10:53 AM
Seewin

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
The rubber blinder on the Merit aperture is no big deal. They are removable, and last I checked, you can still buy replacements.
They have a tendency to deteriorate over time, plus they will take a "set" if stored in a gun case or on their side. Really a pretty common problem. You can also just remove them if so inclined.
I have bought a lot of rifles from RIA over the years. My advice for purchasing from them is the same I would give for any on-line auction, inspect it personally, or have someone you know and trust take a look at it before you purchase. The people that run these auctions are not experts and in most cases, they just print the info that was given to them by consignor. RIA is pretty good about standing behind what they sell. If there is a major problem that they missed, they will make it right or take it back. I have personally returned 4 or 5 over the years.
Steve
Old 07-09-2019, 05:02 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Steve.....good information.

Last edited by pump .22s; 07-10-2019 at 08:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-09-2019, 10:22 PM
Dickn52
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Why are the first 2 digits of the SN larger? Or is it a trick of lighting?
Old 07-10-2019, 04:12 AM
Seewin

TPC Rating: 
100% (59)
Hard to tell for sure in pictures. I think it is more of an alignment issue than size. Stamping die was probably not indexed completely or something slipped in the stamping process.....just a guess.
I am not certain as to what the life expectancy was for number stamps, but I know they were replaced frequently. I have Winchester drawings for many of their stamps, and replacement stamps was one of the jobs of their engravers in the custom shop at one point. I think later on in production, this job was most likely farmed out to companies that specialized in making marking dies.
Steve