Old 05-09-2019, 07:26 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)

[QUOTE=kisssofdeath;11474599]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post

What rifle do you have that shoots this good? 100 yards is indicated on the target, are those shot at 100 yards?
I wish it was 100yds. I forgot to reset the distance on my ontargets software, here the correct measurements at 50yds.second group from the top row left is 10-shots

rifle is a 1411 with a Benchmark barrel here is a 10-shot group with SKRM at 100yds.-

still pretty good I think

Lee
Old 05-10-2019, 12:08 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
`

Last edited by kisssofdeath; 07-24-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:33 PM
Cuzz
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=Hi-NV Shooter;11475169]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisssofdeath View Post

I wish it was 100yds. I forgot to reset the distance on my ontargets software, here the correct measurements at 50yds.second group from the top row left is 10-shots

rifle is a 1411 with a Benchmark barrel here is a 10-shot group with SKRM at 100yds.-

still pretty good I think

Lee
ats way past purdy good to me
Old 05-18-2019, 03:16 AM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
`

Old 06-11-2019, 09:30 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
``

Old 06-12-2019, 09:00 AM
DGNY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
KOD, thank you for your numerous helpfulposts and your always detailed and useful information. One point alone, that you uniformly post numerous targets and their results, is exceedingly helpful to those of us who have mxed results from our shooting.

While it is helpful to receive from other posters ofttimes cherry picked groups, to see the run of your groups from superb to not-so-superb is a fine and needed grounding in reality. Not to mention the other issues you address from time to time, such as cleaning, ammo selection…

Regards,

Dyson
Old 06-12-2019, 10:17 AM
truckjohn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Keep on posting actual results KOD.

The thing is - actual data and information is the antibiotic to the "Authoritative" opinions spouted by internet commandos who never actually get out and do anything in real life.

I have been amazed to find out that some folks who post a ton of "information" as authoritative "Forum experts" actually have ZERO real world experience with doing any of it. For example - one fellow who was THE forum "Expert" on Italian Carcano rifles on one forum turned out to have owned a sum total of ONE and never shot more than 50 rounds through it. The sum total of his "Expertise" was stuff he read or saw on the forums. Some of it was right but a lot was not...

I appreciate the tests you run because I am a hopeless experimenter as well - and I have paid the "Stupid tax" to learn many of the lessons I have learned. One lesson is that many experiments fail. You never learn how far is too far until you go too far.....

For example - I am one of the guys who actually did ruin a barrel with a cleaning rod.... I ruined TWO in fact - back in my teenage years I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned trying to get patches absolutely spotless until I wore out the rifling on one side of the muzzle for about 6" down. It took many many hours of sawing away in my excitement to get there - but what else is a kid going to do?

So when I read Gale McMillan talk about the dangers of JB - I get it because I did it... I learned very important lessons about "Less is More", moderation, and "Stop while you are ahead"....

The thing is - normal well adjusted people don't ever wear out barrels cleaning them.... Not even with JB Paste. They give up and loose interest WAY before they ever get there.... Benchrest shooters have stuff like action protectors, bore guides and muzzle protectors to help reduce damage and keep cleaning muck out of the action works.. But give an excited 13 year old boy a cleaning rod on his summer break and you will be replacing gun barrels...

The trouble is: If a little is good, a LOT must be WAY better.... And so somebody scrubs with JB for HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS each day for months... They scrub with JB trying to get their patches completely white.. Then - when the gun won't shoot - they send it back to Gale McMillan with an angry letter about the quality of his rifle barrels.... He gets it back and finds all the rifling on the left side of the muzzle gone.... The throat is so worn it now starts 1/4" further in.... Everything is MIRROR polished.... There's no evidence of any actual wear from shooting because all they did was sit there in front of the TV and scrub the rifle for HOURS every day....

This isn't particular to JB use or cleaning... Everything is like this. Post very conservative instructions about deburring an action and once a month people will be posting about wrapping 220 sandpaper on a drill, and grinding away with a dremel, slathering valve lapping compound all over the internals, and sanding away on trigger parts - and THEN crying about how it's your fault their gun is destroyed.....

As a result - many places adopt a message of "None is the only answer" to forestall the inevitable being blamed when people go way way overboard...

And thus it goes....
Old 06-12-2019, 02:19 PM
wallyworldmudhen

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks

Thanks for all the effort and for sharing with us.
I do hope you keep up the good work and I am sure that most of us on this forum will agree.
Best regards,
Wally
Old 06-13-2019, 10:13 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
`

Last edited by kisssofdeath; 07-24-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:59 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Hope you do! I have found your posts really useful, and your preference for "whole box" targets over single five-shot groups particularly so.

Keep it up!

Think of all us newbies!
Old 06-24-2019, 06:45 PM
bberg7794

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A cleaning test to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisssofdeath View Post
If anyone has a particular test request let me know and I will see what I can do. Hopefully this will prove to be somewhat educational. But you know, in the end what I am doing really only applies to this one rifle.
I would like you to try a test regimen. I read this article by the Army Marksmanship Unit just after I purchased my Anschutz:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...h-bore-snakes/

My interpretation of their process it as follows. I use a patch worm and carefully pull through a couple dry patches, followed by a couple wet patches, followed by several more dry patches to clean out most of the gunk after shooting. After the dry patches come out mostly clean, then I switch to a rod/rod guide with a bronze brush and solvent (I have been using Ballistol) and I make only 3 or 4 passes one-way, removing the brush at the muzzle and very carefully retracting the cleaning rod back thru the bore and wiping it clean each time. Then I use the patch worm once more with a couple wet patches, followed by dry patches again until the patches come out completely clean. Lastly, I use the patch worm and a patch or two coated with CLP and put the rifle away. While using the patch worm, I am very careful to pull straight out the bore, trying not to touch the crown.

I clean after every time I shoot and might put about 200 rounds downrange in a match. I do not own a bore scope, and would love to see if you find similarly to what the AMU found as they stated in their article.

My specific question is this: does three or four one-way passes with a wet brush remove the carbon ring.

Thanks,

Brian

Last edited by bberg7794; 06-24-2019 at 06:53 PM. Reason: specificity
Old 06-24-2019, 07:15 PM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Kiss, I like your post, they are down to earth. One thing however, resize your photos before posting them. 800x600 works great.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:22 AM
Mchell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Informative post....I too like that you are displaying “real” results from multiple groups whether they are good, bad or ugly. Always looked at he JB paste but never tried it. Thinking I will now...

Thanks