Pickup trucks - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:12 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Weed? Wow , you’re just asking to be pulled over ! I realize there’s not much to do in southern Canada . But getting stoned and driving around in a pickup truck full of milkshakes listening to frank definitely is a sign that spring is here
Frank Sinatra reference was aimed at NMC. I'm an old rock n roll of the 60s/70s fan.
The weed reference was for storage. Here in Yoopersville in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan we are now allowed to be in possession of 2.5 oz or less of weed but not allowed to DUI of it.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:19 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
'72 Chevy. Great old truck. I put 110 K on it when I sold it and bought a '98 Dodge.

VH
Old 04-20-2019, 08:28 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm old so of course I've driven pickups with gas tanks behind the seat. My first with outside tanks was a '78 GMC which I still have. I don't remember anymore truck fires back then then now. When you started smelling gas inside the cab you knew to replace the coupler hose between the outside filler and the tank, a very simple chore.

Last edited by Arrowhead; 04-20-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:30 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
You sure wouldn't like my new one that you can scroll thru the on dash readout for actual tranny temps, estimated miles left in the tank, when your next oil change is due, and the storage! OMG! hidden lockers under the rear floor mats that hold extra ammo, guns, weed, alcohol albeit uninsulated. Surround sound music tunable to your particular deaf ear etc.. More cup holders than a pop machine and outlets for any kind of device you have for charging or hooking up to listen to your fave tune like Frank Sinatra or sumpin. Some have moving lumbar exercises to massage your back even if the bouncy road's not good nuff. You can listen to the NASCAR races, hockey games, or all the big leagues sports in action or announcers clarifying the game for you. All mine needs is an intelligent rubber lady for the long boring trips.
Yep all that and get 23 plus mpg on the highway, overall average of 20.5 for the first 8500 miles, don't build 'em like they used to.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:49 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Yep all that and get 23 plus mpg on the highway, overall average of 20.5 for the first 8500 miles, don't build 'em like they used to.
At 2,500 mi. my Ram hemi is finally catching up to your Ford on level pavement Gerald. Yesterday I was getting 22.6 mpg @ 43˚. While I'm not a fan of the 4 cylinders cutting out when the truck isn't under a load it appears to work just fine, so far.
My older new trucks used to break in more quickly but they weren't using synthetic oil back then.
The Achille's Heel of modern vehicles is the electronics. Everything is great, as long as it works IME.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:53 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
At 2,500 mi. my Ram hemi is finally catching up to your Ford on level pavement Gerald. Yesterday I was getting 22.6 mpg @ 43˚.
The Achille's Heel of modern vehicles is the electronics. Everything is great, as long as it works IME.
Good that it's coming around Al and you're right about the Electronics, they're wonderful...until they're not.

Last edited by gmd1950; 04-20-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:08 AM
Mike Clark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post
Anyone that rides a dirtbike or motorcycle basically humps a gas tank, so there's that

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I did that too, before the pickup with the tank in the cab. At first all MC's had steel gas tanks. Then DB's went to plastic. I straddled the transition. Wore the paint off of a couple of steel tanks with the 'monkey gyrations on the gas cap'.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:12 AM
Mike Clark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Good that it's coming around All and you're right about the Electronics, they're wonderful...until they're not.
A guy I know just bought a new truck. 36 computers in it.

But yeah, now with the engine management and other on the fly adjustments performance per gallon is astounding.

A neighbor has a dead vehicle - computer went out he is trying to decide what to do. Between all cost & considerations he may skip it and go new.

Last edited by Mike Clark; 04-20-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:39 PM
NMC_EXP

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
You sure wouldn't like my new one that you can scroll thru the on dash readout for actual tranny temps, estimated miles left in the tank, when your next oil change is due, and the storage! OMG! hidden lockers under the rear floor mats that hold extra ammo, guns, weed, alcohol albeit uninsulated. Surround sound music tunable to your particular deaf ear etc.. More cup holders than a pop machine and outlets for any kind of device you have for charging or hooking up to listen to your fave tune like Frank Sinatra or sumpin. Some have moving lumbar exercises to massage your back even if the bouncy road's not good nuff. You can listen to the NASCAR races, hockey games, or all the big leagues sports in action or announcers clarifying the game for you. All mine needs is an intelligent rubber lady for the long boring trips.
I'm going to be in trouble when the only used vehicles on the market are equipped with all that lard.

My current pickup is a '93 Dodge W250 LE 3/4 T 4wd, Cummins 6BT. It's the luxury model so it has power windows and locks and is carpeted. I'd rather have nothing but AC, a plain AM/FM radio and rubber floor coverings.

Previous owner had installed aluminum wheels and fat tires. I scrounged up some plain factory steel wheels and put on a set of skinny LT235/85 R16 tires on it.

I like plain and simple....especially when it comes to pickups.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:09 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I added a $30 BT OBDII reader and use Torque Pro ($5 app) to monitor my engine/trans stats when towing or wheeling, and even just driving. It's the modern equivalent of driving with a vacuum gauge in the cab and it really makes a difference knowing what the computer is seeing and adjusting to/for. I've altered my driving style a lot based on what I've learned from this, and have gotten some amazing gas mileage on long trips (358 miles from a single tank of gas, around 16.5 gal usable)

Skinny/tall vs fat/wide comes down to tread pattern, contact patch and intended use. This is a constant debate in the 4WD community, right up there with which oil and why lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2019, 02:33 PM
NMC_EXP

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post
Skinny/tall vs fat/wide comes down to tread pattern, contact patch and intended use. This is a constant debate in the 4WD community
Yup. Plenty of debate re: wide vs narrow tires when it comes to offroad use. In my opinion what is not debatable are the facts: (1) Wide tires put more strain on steering components. (2) The heavier the tire/wheel assembly is, the more energy it takes to bring them up to speed and to slow them down. Tire/wheel acts just like a big flywheel - inertia loads on both acceleration and deceleration.

The W250 was designed for LT235/85R16 tires on 16 x 6 wheels with 3.5" backspacing and (+)1" offset and a 3,045 lb per wheel weight rating. That works fine for me.

I switched from 33x10.50x15 to LT235/85R16 on my '85 FJ60 Land Cruiser and could not be happier with the way it performs on trails.

This photo is before I changed out the Dodge wheels and tires.

Last edited by NMC_EXP; 04-20-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:45 PM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Good that it's coming around All and you're right about the Electronics, they're wonderful...until they're not.
Sounds like the wimmins I date.

Remember riding with friends back when with the gas tank behind the seat.

I 've heard there is as muck geek power now in Detroit as there is in Silicon Valley.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:45 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm with you, NMC_EXP. I just pulled a set of 33 MTs off and am going with skinny talls on my 17" Sequoia rims next sale I see

Last edited by octanejunkie; 04-20-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:05 PM
schutzen-jager
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
1965 ford f150 styleside short wb -
Old 04-20-2019, 03:47 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
EDIT: double post