Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:18 PM
C_Koseri

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red dot advice for scorpion

Originally wanted just a fun plinker but I shot a steel match last weekend and had a lot of fun.

Right now it's got a aimpoint micro clone type red dot but I'm thinking I want one of the reflex type dots.

Ultradot l/t looks nice because it mounts to the rail without an adaptor and sits so low and its lightweight.

On the other end of the spectrum I could just ignore weight and height over bore and go with a C-more railway or a holosun 510c.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:22 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I like the Vortex Venom now. I had a C-More on it but the battery life wasn't good. I had to replace every month. The Vortex will last over a year.

The window is a little smaller but for the speed of shooting Steel Challenge it's just the right size. If the target is inside the window you will hit it without having to center the dot and this saves time.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:09 AM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ultradot L/T is nice and gives you a large window vs. a lot of the others. Only downside I can see to it is that its limited to a 4MOA. Thats it. Besides that, I think its the best for the money, but I am also looking at the biggest window I can get on a micro dot. I have a pair of C-More RTS2's, though both in 6MOA (would prefer them to have been 8MOA, but bought them both at a discount). These are the end of the road for me.

The price point on micro dots dictates quite a bit. The Vortex Razor, C-More RTS2, and Leupold Detapoint all have large windows and are all proven to be great, but also cost as much or more than several factory 22 handguns do in the end. The best compromise is likely the Vortex Venom (above) or Viper. I'm in the Viper camp, while many are in the Venom camp. In the end, one sits a little lower and is a little taller while the other sits a little taller and has a little wider window. Besides that, both can be had in 6MOA, they cost about the same, and both are very good red dots. One of my favorites would be the Burris Fastfire III, though while its a really good red dot, it also has a small viewing window in comparison to others. Check ebay as well. You will find bulk sellers from time to time that can beat normal retailers by like $30 on the same thing. Just look for number of transactions and feedback percentage. I think I bought my Fastfire for like $178 from ECop off Ebay while they were going for $225 at most other retailers.

For the biggest viewing window on that gun, the C-More Railway with a Striplin 90 degree mount is the way to go. Yes, he sells mounts that integrate the rail mount into it to where it will fit on a Scorpion top rail. They are not my thing, but they work and are available as well.

Steve's gun above basically shows you what the majority of micro dots will look like sitting on top of a Scorpion. There are subtle difference between the many options, and its going to come down to a preference thing in the end. My personal progression on my own gun was - Burris Fastfire III, C-more Railway, Leupold Deltapoint, Vortex Viper, C-More RTS2. Sold the Fastfire, moved the Railway to a 10-22, sold the Deltapoint (I had one with bad glass), moved the Viper to a S&W M&P9mm, and still run the RTS2.

For Steel Challenge (all other things aside), I wouldn't go below 6MOA. For standard shooting, I wouldn't go over 8MOA. The upside to the railway is if you use your gun for different things, you can get different MOA modules. Up to a 16MOA for shooting steel, and down to a 2MOA for precision applications. You will have to re-zero it every time you change, and I will say that I hate zeroing a Railway sight, but I still own a pair, and I still swap the modules every now and then. The only takeaway is that I can do it my backyard. Thats the upside of living in the woods. Your electric bill is $300 a month, fast internet is data limited and hard to come by, but you can pee off your front porch and shoot a 30rd AR-15 magazine out the back door and not bother anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2019, 03:06 AM
Geo

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
red dot for steel

I really like the c more railway for my scorpions. I have this red dot mounted on my scorpion pistols that I use for steel challenge competition. I like the fact that they have different modules available to change the moa. I shoot larger size moa for steel - usually a 12. I am an older shooter and feel this really helps me. Also, I have my railways mounted at 90 degrees using a nice mount made by Striplin. This puts the dot much closer to the barrel. I shoot in a lot of steel competitions and you see many people using the c more railway sight. Not cheap, but very functional. Some will tell you that a larger (12 moa or 16 moa) is too large and will "cover the steel target" - this is not the case. Good luck with your choice
Old 01-11-2019, 09:47 AM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Burris FFIII

I am a big fan of the Burris FFIII. I have one on my Scorpion, as well as on all my other 22 pistols. As you mentioned, they mount directly to the rail with the included mount, they are light, compact, and durable. I like the 3 MOA and it has worked well for me both inside and out. Also, you can usually find them on eBay for $180-$185. I have bought all mine through eBay and they have always been brand new in unopened packaging.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:35 AM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I have a FF II and like it. No reason not to go with the newer FF III though.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:44 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Billy Striplin does make a sideways mount that incorporates both parts of the Railway to fit guns like this with an integrated top rail. The Slide Ride sight mounts to one side and the Railway base mounts to the bottom of his mount. Since its sideways, I'm pretty sure his mount is marked as well for which way to move the adjustment screws.

Agreeing with Geo - a big dot like a 12MOA in steel challenge is perfect shooting 10-12" plates are rarely further than 15yds. I find it useless for anything else though, which is what makes the versatile Railway so nice in be able swap dot modules.

Agree with Quick1 in that Ebay is the best place for a Fastfire III. For steel challenge, the small window will leave you wanting something with a quicker sight acquisition. For anything else, its awesome.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:53 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
LLV4 with a Fastfire. The Buckmark will give some idea of the height over bore axis with a Railway top mounted. This is a Slide Ride on an Allchin mount.

LLV4 with an RTS2

LLV4 with a Viper

This link has some window measurements that someone compiled. Width first, then height (though they put the Viper specs backwards)

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/2...argest-window/
Old 01-11-2019, 08:47 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have the Buris FFIII and a Vortex Viper. While the size and weight are great, I struggle with the small ( less than 24 mm ) "window" for any kind of action shooting. For some reason, I have to twist the gun and/or my head around as it comes up to hunt for the dot in that small piece of glass. ( I've tried them on my Ruger MKIV target, Buckmark Contour and SWVictory with same results.) Personally, I've found ( all else equal) I need a window that is 30mm or greater. This rules most of the Mini/micro dots out. Then again, my eyes are getting old.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:28 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sig needs to stop trying to be unique and use a more standard mounting hole setup. I swear they would sell more if they used the Fastfire/Jpoint hole pattern. The sights are good, they are just limited on the mounting options.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:30 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
And I was wrong in saying that the Viper sits lower than the Venom. It does if its removed from its mount and mounted on a different base, but the factory pic rail base for the Viper sits taller than the factory rail base for the Venom.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:37 PM
handlebar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I use the Bushnell T25. It works very well and holds zero.

https://i.imgur.com/qztYRMe.mp4