Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:03 AM
Cool22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Four or Six Inch Barrel

How do I decide which barrel length to get? I will be getting one with no threads on the end because of my state laws. I may try some bullseye shooting. Is there an advantage to one over the other? I know that the sight radius on the 6 in. has an advantage over the 4 and will prob. get iron sights for now. I can't believe that one is more accurate than the other. What are your thoughts? Thanks.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:33 AM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have a 6 inch barrel and love both the look and the performance. The different barrel lengths will have an effect both on accuracy and velocity, how much is a matter of discussion and I am sure others smarter than me will chime in. But, the usual discussion in the forums is the longer the barrel the more accurate. Plus, while I highly recommend a red dot if you want accuracy (I am a fan of the Burris FFIII), the longer barrel length will also help with iron sights, again how much is up to debate. But, to answer your question, go with the longer barrel unless there is something in your intended use or carry method that prohibits it. While it may not increase velocity, accuracy, or iron sight usage a LOT, it cannot hurt either. And, in my humble opinion, it looks a lot better.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:47 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Sight radius is a definite advantage if shooting iron sights on the 6" as you point out. There will be slight advantage in velocity (and lock time) between the two but built in accuracy itself should be a wash everything else being equal.
I've always favored pistols with some extra weight out front to stabilize the muzzle during rapid fire stages.
If it were me, ( and it's not), I'd get the 6" and never look back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2019, 03:22 PM
retroboats

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I bought my Scorpion I was debating the same thing. The sales guy had both so it didn't matter to him which one I bought and said go with the 6" it's a better choice. With the muzzlebrake on the 6" it is a long gun. Not too scientific but just another data point for you.

Also while shopping around I found Rimfire Sports to have the best price for a new one. I have no affiliation with them, just thought it might help.

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchan...tegory_Code=PR
Old 01-03-2019, 06:05 PM

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
A counter point for your thoughts...........

I shoot bullseye. Nowadays they call it precision pistol but basically it is wrangling the most accuracy out of a pistol that you can deliver.

We score the targets. Measure them with eagle eyes and magnifying glass under brilliant light. Every point counts and only the good shots make the most points.

I have three 22lr bullseye pistols, a S&W with 7 inch and 5 inch barrel, a FWB with a 5 inch barrel, and a pardini with a 3 1/2 inch barrel.

I shoot the short barreled pardini better.

This is not only me, it is pretty much everybody that has used my equipment and while it might be because the pardini trigger is awesome, The S&W and Fwb triggers are awesome as well.

I think that with the shorter barrel, the time the bullet is in the barrel is shorter such that the imperfections of the delivery of your shot is less pronounced. IE you do not throw it as far off target when you screw up.

Pardini recently came out with longer barreled options that a few of our shooters I our league purchased. Oh they have compensators and fancy scope mounts and stuff but the people that got them are struggling and I think that it is due to the longer barrel and the longer time that the bullet is traversing the barrel which magnifies the imperfections of the shot delivery.

With that in mind, I would recommend that you get the shorter barrel.

Regards,

Crankster

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com
Old 01-03-2019, 07:08 PM
openspaces
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I bought a 6 but fairly quickly mounted a reddot and occasionally shoot with a suppressor. I want a 4 to try out based on how I use the gun, but having the option of longer sight radius is nice when not using the reddot.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:27 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankythunder View Post
I shoot bullseye. Nowadays they call it precision pistol but basically it is wrangling the most accuracy out of a pistol that you can deliver.

We score the targets. Measure them with eagle eyes and magnifying glass under brilliant light. Every point counts and only the good shots make the most points.

I have three 22lr bullseye pistols, a S&W with 7 inch and 5 inch barrel, a FWB with a 5 inch barrel, and a pardini with a 3 1/2 inch barrel.

I shoot the short barreled pardini better.

This is not only me, it is pretty much everybody that has used my equipment and while it might be because the pardini trigger is awesome, The S&W and Fwb triggers are awesome as well.

I think that with the shorter barrel, the time the bullet is in the barrel is shorter such that the imperfections of the delivery of your shot is less pronounced. IE you do not throw it as far off target when you screw up.

Pardini recently came out with longer barreled options that a few of our shooters I our league purchased. Oh they have compensators and fancy scope mounts and stuff but the people that got them are struggling and I think that it is due to the longer barrel and the longer time that the bullet is traversing the barrel which magnifies the imperfections of the shot delivery.

With that in mind, I would recommend that you get the shorter barrel.

Regards,

Crankster

At the risk of getting way off topic, I'll weigh in with some observations from my own Pardini ownership experience.

The Pardini SP .22 line have sported a 120mm ( 4.75") barrel since I can recall. At least every one I have ever handled has. ( As you said, they do offer a longer 146mm ( 5.75") barreled model these days though.)
That aside, I have to say that it is a rare person that I've encountered that didn't improve their scores by going from a traditionally styled (Ruger MK, SW41, etc) pistol to a forward mag euro styled pistol like the SP. It can be argued that it is due to it's barrel design but the Pardini is a completely different animal as compared to a SW41, RugerMK, Scorpion, etc. The big difference in my mind is that it's design puts the center of gravity out forward and tends to lock your wrist. Couple that weight distribution with the fantastic trigger, infinitely adjustable grip /grip angle) and recoil suppression system of the SP and it's magic. Once dialed in, It's like you wear the gun instead of gripping it.

http://www.pardini.it/weapon/target_pistols_SP.php

Last edited by Tacoma; 01-03-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:14 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Non-threaded, I'd go with the 6".
Old 01-05-2019, 03:38 AM
Geo

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
4 or 6

I own both 4 inch and 6 inch barreled scorpions. I like the shorter barrel with my c more red dots for shooting steel challenge. I like the lighter weight. I shoot them with compensators. I have a 6 inch set up with iron sights. I shoot this without a comp. I find the 6 inch to work well with the iron sights. Also, I find that not using a comp on the longer barrel is no problem.