Savage Mark I and Mark II - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:44 PM
JGR_LV
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New to me...

I just spent an enjoyable day at the range last Saturday learning about rimfire silhouette shooting. The local club has standing and bench categories, which probably horrifies the purists out there, and they have the usual categories, including one for iron sights. I showed up with my old favorite, a Winchester 52B position rifle from 1937,complete with a Lyman 524 rear sight and a Redfield Olympic front. Before anybody gets outraged at that combination, I still have the original Lyman77 front with the long shade, but I like the larger view I get through the Olympic and it takes about 12 seconds to change back.
Anyhow, back to the range: The 52B is a bit heavier than the rules allow, but the club president, also rangemaster that day, looked at it and said, "Nobody cares." I was the only one of the twenty-odd shooters using iron sights. I didn't exactly cover myself with glory, but I managed to clean 5 turkeys in a row at 77 meters before my eyes got tired, so at least I didn't embarrass the rifle. Looks like a lot of fun, and I'll be back!
Old 07-09-2018, 03:05 PM
Nosnil22
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGR_LV View Post
I just spent an enjoyable day at the range last Saturday learning about rimfire silhouette shooting. The local club has standing and bench categories, which probably horrifies the purists out there, and they have the usual categories, including one for iron sights. I showed up with my old favorite, a Winchester 52B position rifle from 1937,complete with a Lyman 524 rear sight and a Redfield Olympic front. Before anybody gets outraged at that combination, I still have the original Lyman77 front with the long shade, but I like the larger view I get through the Olympic and it takes about 12 seconds to change back.
Anyhow, back to the range: The 52B is a bit heavier than the rules allow, but the club president, also rangemaster that day, looked at it and said, "Nobody cares." I was the only one of the twenty-odd shooters using iron sights. I didn't exactly cover myself with glory, but I managed to clean 5 turkeys in a row at 77 meters before my eyes got tired, so at least I didn't embarrass the rifle. Looks like a lot of fun, and I'll be back!
Good for you! I've yet to get 5 turkeys in a row in my 2 seasons of shooting silhouettes.
The fact that you did it with irons is very impressive indeed.
I hope they gave you a turkey pin for your effort!

Cheers,
Dave
Old 07-09-2018, 03:09 PM
JGR_LV
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Savage Mk ! & 2

I have several friends shooting the Mk 2 in various rimfire competitions, and they generally do well. I'd rank them as one of the best values for the money currently out there. The stock comes with enough spacers to let it fit just about anyone, from pre-teen to adult, and it's got decent ergonomics. The Williams sights are barely adequate, in my opinion, but I tend to be snobbish about such things. If you're planning to use a scope anyway, you can disregard this.
I'll probably start a war by saying this, but my opinion is that you don't need to spend a lot of money on a scope. Just about anything from a brand you've actually heard of will do the job. You're not likely to be shooting in low-light conditions and your Mk 2 has less recoil than your average BB gun, so there's no real point in paying for huge light transmission values or something engineered to withstand the the punch of a 7mm RUM. Get something with a clear picture and repeatable adjustments and you should be fine. If your money is still burning a hole in your pocket, spend it on practice ammunition and range time.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:47 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
MkII on the used market will be in ‘pre-E’ and ‘E’ actions, same but for the length afaik. I waited to get a Savage until they put the AccuTrigger in a 22, it is a pre-E heavy barrel,with the thumbhole lam. stock and it is more accurate than I am (for what that is worth ). I have only done the basic, sensible things of making sure the action sits well in the stock, no bedding, etc. With the TruGlo Infinity 4-16x 44 AO c/w fine ‘hairs and small dot set on 16 it is a pretty fine package. I suggest getting a MkII c/w AT model.
Btw, Im happliy using the single shot adapter from ‘47 Products’ (check on facebook) and also a member here on RFC.

Last edited by gcrank1; 07-09-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodaddy View Post
I shot a Mark II all last season. Very capable rifle if you're willing to get it there.

I like that rifle! Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2018, 10:34 AM
Doodaddy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ERIC View Post
I like that rifle! Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you.

I eventually rebarreled it with a Shilen Select Match Ratchet barrel, restocked it, and sold it. I kept the stock you quoted simply because it was the first one I had ever done.