Magazine Cleaning - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:03 PM
DonD
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Magazine Cleaning

Have several 597 mags, seem to be getting dirty from shooting non plated slug rounds, mostly Federa Automatch. Gun has been totally reliable. Went to the range and had lots of instances of the bolt riding over the round next in line usually about round #4 or so, happened with all of the mags.

The mags seemed "cranky" on initial loading. Disassembled them, cleaned all the parts in soapy water and scrubbed with a toothbrush. Cosmetically they look great but reassembling in a fashion identical to one I took apart and left for a reference has left me with mags that I suspect won't work at all.

They are now hard to load past 7 rds and the rounds after about #4 nosedive so they are unlikely to feed?

Never had issues disassembling and reassembling centerfire semi autos.

Suggestions? Thanks Don
Old 04-12-2018, 04:02 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If the spring isn't right the bullet noses don't tip up enough. Over the years some have reported new ones being backwards from the factory. I have no pix on file for the right way.
If you're having trouble loading the 8th the spring may not be seated fully, maybe because the spring is backwards or upside down, or something. Been awhile since I cleaned mine and the memory is rusty.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:28 PM
havefun

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
22LR or 22WMR? Usually it's the 10th LR round that's difficult loading. I'd take a cue from Al and reverse the spring on one and see if it fixes the problem. (Actually, I guess that there could be a front and back as well as top and bottom.) The spring needs to sit down inside the follower and the plastic cap. Looking at my mags from the inspection slot (right side), the near side of the spring coil slopes downward from the rear to the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2018, 10:14 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Magazine cleaning, I just dropped mine in the ultrasonic cleaner and they worked fantastic afterwards.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:46 PM
ronc80

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Brand new no rounds in it at all. If this helps

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk