Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:46 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CZ 527 American 22 Hornet

I just placed an order for a new hornet. I have wanted one for quite some time and thought what the heck. I would like to ask your input about the angle of the bolt handle hitting the scope. What I read was from a number of years ago. Has CZ addressed that issue on newer ones? I will need ammo and would like your input on brands/grains/good brass. I currently have a couple of scopes to try but waiting for the rifle to arrive and actually look at the factory ring height to see what I may like.

Any input I would appreciate.
Thanks
Old 10-08-2019, 07:52 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you use CZ rings, you should have no troubles with your scope, unless the rear bell is abnormally huge. I have an older Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 SF on my .17 Hornet, and it works just fine. That rear bell is pretty big, too.
I have four 527s, and use CZ rings on all of them, no issues at all. They aren't pretty but they work well enough.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:23 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The bolt handle scope interference issue is a combination of the bolt handle's root height and the diameter of the scopes ocular. The newer bolt handles give a bit more clearance than the older (pre 2014 approx) style bolt. Also the Warne medium rings and the Calhoun rings are about 1/8 inch lower than the CZ rings. These rings may or may not cause problems depending on the scopes ocular bell diameter. The Leupold medium Warne tall Burris medium and Talley are all close to the CZ ring height. These rings should allow for most scopes to be mounted. My 2007 American wears a Leupold 12X in Warne medium rings and has a ground bolt handle. I prefer my scopes mounted as low as practical on my rifles. I think that this scope ring combo would work with the current bolt handle though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 01:13 AM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Rutnbuck sir I have 3 different CZ 527 rifle styles and of those rifles I own 17 Hornet, 22 Hornet x2, Remington 222 x3 and a 223.

All these rifles I either have the factory rings on them or Burris 420140 which are the same height but the Burris look better and are easier to work with on my rifles. Now as far as ring height:

CZ rings are .550"
Burris rings are .550"
Talley rings are .525"
Leupold rings are .500"
Warne rings are .425"
Calhoon rings are .425"

the Bolt of the CZ 527 rifle can be pretty close to the scope Ocular depending on the size...if you have a newer rifle it has the new style bolt you will have plenty of room...here is a picture of the two...the newer is on the right.

here is a picture of the different styles I own...top down: Varmint, American and FS

If you use factory rings or Burris 420140 then a scope with a 50mm Objective will fit pretty nice.:

if you do have the older style of bolt you can change it in two minutes and they are only $35 from the CZ usa store.

Now as far as my 527s in 22 Hornet I have a American and a FS. I just got the FS model so I have not shot it yet...wife has been sick and life has got busy. The American model has turned out to be the best CZ CF rifle I own for now. Time will tell about my FS.

222 in back and 22 Hornet in front

my 527 American in 22 Hornet:

now as far as ammo goes I am using Hornady 35gr which is very accurate;

Sight in:

Changed scope...first shot was only 1" low

I will tell you one thing I love the 22 Hornet...it's like a 22mag on steroids...its nice and quite and very accurate. I am here if you have any more questions.

I hope this helps with your questions and good luck on your quest

Signalman
Old 10-09-2019, 07:10 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the input. I always thought the rings looked pretty high from what I have seen but will have to wait and see when the rifle arrives. Signalman the information on the different ring height measurements is great, will save some time if I need to change from factory. I also like my scope to be as low to the rifle as possible. I'm ordering some factory 35 grain hornady to shoot until I pick up some dies to reload. I have read some posts where some folks have stated the flash hole on some factory ammo is too small for the primer pin to push out the spent primer to reload. A lot of questions but I'm certain all will be resolved in time. Signalman those are some pretty rifles!
Thanks again, Jim
Old 10-09-2019, 10:04 PM
ChangFest

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutnbuck View Post
Thanks for all the input. I always thought the rings looked pretty high from what I have seen but will have to wait and see when the rifle arrives. Signalman the information on the different ring height measurements is great, will save some time if I need to change from factory. I also like my scope to be as low to the rifle as possible. I'm ordering some factory 35 grain hornady to shoot until I pick up some dies to reload. I have read some posts where some folks have stated the flash hole on some factory ammo is too small for the primer pin to push out the spent primer to reload. A lot of questions but I'm certain all will be resolved in time. Signalman those are some pretty rifles!
Thanks again, Jim
Both my CZ 527 22 Hornets (American and Full stock) like 35 gr Hornady V-Max or the Nosler Varmageddon 35 gr bullets. The Midway Dogtown 34 grain FBHP shoot great as well. I've had trouble finding 40-45 grain bullets that the guns like. The best shooter is the Hornady 45 gr Hornet varmint bullet. The slow twist rate is likely why they prefer lighter, shorter bullets. All sit on top of 13 gr Hodgdon Lil'Gun. I've never had an issue with the flash hole being too small. I've mainly shot PPU brass though.