Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:58 PM
sweetmk
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Difference In A Lipsey's Single Six Special

I have wanted a Single Six as a shooter/beater gun for quite a while. I hoped to get a scotch brite stainless so I could get the "clunks" out of it easier in the future. There are no used 22s' to speak of for sale around here. I started out to get a Hunter, but, decided the barrel was too long for a clunk around gun.

Every Roanoke gun store and 2 Gun shows had the identical price for the Stainless Single Six - except one model the KNR4, which appears to be a Lipsey's special.

The KNR4 has been for sale for $50 less than any other stainless Single Six for a couple months, I decided it was time for it to come home.

So, is the Lipsey's specials less desirable guns? It really doesn't matter as this is a tool, not a safe queen or an investment, just wondering.

Is there a good link showing how to reduce the trigger return spring force? I have read about this, my new Single Six must have 10 pounds of force returning the trigger!!

The new gun may get the Hunter style bead front sight. Is the white outline rear sight available anywhere?

Any other issues I need to address with the new gun? I have been a MKII auto 22 pistol shooter for quite a while, so I am very much a novice when it comes to taking a screwdriver to this gun.

Thanks for any help!!
Old 10-16-2012, 01:01 PM
CraigC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The Lipsey's gun should actually be more desirable because as far as I know, it's the only intentional factory run of the stainless 4 5/8" configuration. There was an unintentional run back in the `70's of 60 or so guns that have become highly sought after by collectors.

Personally, I don't care for flashy sights.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Quiet 1
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Congratulations on your new Single Six.

I've got one of it's identical siblings and mine is really accurate and a sweet shooter. The first thing I did to mine was a "Poor Boy's Trigger Job" and can't recommend it highly enough.

Here's the link you're looking for: http://www.gunblast.com/Poorboy.htm

We'll be looking forward to a "Range Report".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Quiet 1
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
- - - Snip - - - Personally, I don't care for flashy sights.
I'm not sure what you mean by this Craig. The Lipsey model, pictured above, comes with the basic Ruger adjustable rear and standard front ramp sights; Not the fiber optic sights that are on the Single Ten.

(Unless you mean that you're strictly a Vaquero sights [Adjustable sights? We don't need no stinkin' adjustable sights] kinda guy.)

To Craig: Sorry partner. I just re-read the OP and see his intention to change out the sights.

To the OP: If you're thinking of changing out the sight to something "flashy" I highly recommend the Williams Fire Sights that Ruger uses on the Single Ten. You can purchase them from Ruger or, directly from Williams. They really help aging eyes.

Last edited by Quiet 1; 10-16-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Edit to apologize to Craig and offer another suggestion to the OP.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:31 PM
sweetmk
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet 1 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this Craig. The Lipsey model, pictured above, comes with the basic Ruger adjustable rear and standard front ramp sights; Not the fiber optic sights that are on the Single Ten.

(Unless you mean that you're strictly a Vaquero sights [Adjustable sights? We don't need no stinkin' adjustable sights] kinda guy.)

To Craig: Sorry partner. I just re-read the OP and see his intention to change out the sights.

To the OP: If you're thinking of changing out the sight to something "flashy" I highly recommend the Williams Fire Sights that Ruger uses on the Single Ten. You can purchase them from Ruger or, directly from Williams. They really help aging eyes.
No, I am not looking for flashy, like a fiber optic, more like a bead sight off your old 1950's 22 rifle.

Somewhere I read about bending the spring rather than unhooking one leg.

I guess the same result would be achieved either way now that I think about it.

I was just amazed at the force pushing the trigger forward after the sear releases!!
Old 10-17-2012, 12:36 PM
CraigC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
No worries!
Old 07-31-2019, 01:59 PM
Uncle Howie
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmk View Post
No, I am not looking for flashy, like a fiber optic, more like a bead sight off your old 1950's 22 rifle.

Somewhere I read about bending the spring rather than unhooking one leg.

I guess the same result would be achieved either way now that I think about it.

I was just amazed at the force pushing the trigger forward after the sear releases!!
I think maybe that was over at the Cylindersmith website(?).
http://www.cylindersmith.com/triggerspring.html
Old 07-31-2019, 02:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Nice choice! Yes, they are more desirable and the 4 5/8" is an easy to live with length.
Unhook one leg of the spring and use it for a while before anything more 'serious', then decide.
Best thing I did for my SSS was take off the ramp front and screw on a Ruger Mk Patridge front sight.
Tried a bead on my old early Redhawk, it came in a set with a big V express rear plate, it was quick to acquire but not good for tight groups. Ymmv.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Old thread, but a nice barrel length.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I wonder how it worked out for him....
Old 07-31-2019, 08:02 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

... snip...

To the OP: If you're thinking of changing out the sight to something "flashy" I highly recommend the You can purchase them from Ruger or, directly from Williams. They really help aging eyes.
If you get the Williams Fire Sights that Ruger uses on the Single Ten, Might as well also upgrade the rear with the same. sometimes the front does not zero if you change only one, but; more important you double the benefit with dots front and rear. I am not saying, I recommend this, but; there is a definite benefit in low light or with a dark background. I have 2 single sixes and one has this upgrade. I would not use the words flashy, its a big step up in visibility for certain conditions.

You can get both sights from Ruger. Short money. I also suggest you ask for a spare front screw. I dont want to revert back to my dark side and spread a lot of negativity, but; not all front sight screw holes are drilled and tapped properly. Nothing you cannot recover from, dont get stressed ahead of time.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:03 PM
Happy Kaboomer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
The Lipsey's gun should actually be more desirable because as far as I know, it's the only intentional factory run of the stainless 4 5/8" configuration. There was an unintentional run back in the `70's of 60 or so guns that have become highly sought after by collectors.

Personally, I don't care for flashy sights.
I have one of those with both cylinders.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
Old thread, but a nice barrel length.
Yup. I have a blued Single Six and a stainless Single Seven, both that length. Love 'em.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:03 PM
RVER

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gorgeous!!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2019, 10:46 PM
Tobie
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger Super Single Six

How about these, sports fans?
Sorry about the inversion- my device won't rotate them.
Top one is a 44 Spl
Second is a SSS with both cylinders
Third is a SSS 4 5/8 with both cylinders
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65142A7C-8D79-4727-847D-066E93C3990C.jpg (534.5 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Tobie; 08-18-2019 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Added description