Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:24 PM
rep1954

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
A Sad Tale of Two Single Sixes.

This got posted in another forum that has pro’s and con’s on the new Wrangler. It might just be a scene the got cut from the movie “A Tall Tale”. By the way one of my favorite movies.
“I’m 67, have arthritis in my fingers, and have an 8.5 diopter lense with bifocal in my glasses for my “good eye”. I wouldn’t have a Wrangler either. That’s why I have THREE! They are not junk and actually shoot better than 2 newer Single Sixes that I’ve had. The negative comments I read remind me of the remarks made putting down Glocks when they were first imported. Mostly they come from people with zero experience or from gun snobs.”
I bet this guy could shoot a whole gangs trigger fingers off with a Wrangler.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:40 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
i am with you ,pardner !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rep1954 View Post
This got posted in another forum that has pro’s and con’s on the new Wrangler. It might just be a scene the got cut from the movie “A Tall Tale”. By the way one of my favorite movies.
“I’m 67, have arthritis in my fingers, and have an 8.5 diopter lense with bifocal in my glasses for my “good eye”. I wouldn’t have a Wrangler either. That’s why I have THREE! They are not junk and actually shoot better than 2 newer Single Sixes that I’ve had. The negative comments I read remind me of the remarks made putting down Glocks when they were first imported. Mostly they come from people with zero experience or from gun snobs.”
I bet this guy could shoot a whole gangs trigger fingers off with a Wrangler.
+1
Old 07-29-2019, 11:01 AM
Big Pete10
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm rather old, 75 my next birthday. I did buy a Wrangler, it's a pretty nice piece for 189.99. It is not a Single Six, won't ever be but the Wrangler is a great revolver for the price. I will try a reduced power hammer spring in it at some point. It takes about 3 times the effort to cock it as my Single Six. I want to put a couple hundred more rounds thru it before deciding what it needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2019, 11:27 PM
ADP3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
rep1954,

Well. This is very interesting because that's my post from Rugerforum.com and every word of it is true. You obviously don't know me or have any experience with that particular pair of Single Sixes. Is the same true about your lack of familiarity with the Wrangler?

I don't know what you attribute to "tale tale" my physical condition, inaccurate Single Sixes, or the Wrangler as a decent hand gun. If you want more details on me I'm 6'. 240# and have worn glasses for 60 years. I have 2 types of cataracts in my right (master) eye and 1 type in my left. The doc says I'll know when I need them operated on but so far so good. Single actions suit me because with arthritis there's no heavy DA trigger pull or slide retraction to contend with. I still have all of my own teeth. I started shooting with the Boy Scouts when I was 11 and got my first pistol, a Single Six, in 1968 when I was 16. I shot a brick of the old Remington Red and White Box .22 LR through it every weekend until I left for Clemson in 1970.

As far as the Wrangler goes it's the best newly manufactured revolver you can buy for the money. I found 3 at the local Sportsmans Warehouse. Two were a consecutive pair that I put back. The other was 5 digits away so it goes to the range. At 50 feet it shoots target center on a 2"x2" square if you use a 12 o'clock hold. Windage is spot on. With Aguila "Target" ammo it will group 2" at that range. The Cerakote finish is functional. After a "poor boy" trigger job the trigger pull is reasonable. The MIM parts work like they should. They just don't look as good as the non-MIM parts. The grip frame / cylinder frame fit has some overhang but so do many Ruger SA's. The Wrangler's chief deficiency is that the loading gate is super stiff. I use half a wooden clothes pin to assist opening. I wanted a knock about revolver that would not break my heart if it was stolen out of my truck. The Wrangler is excellent for what I wanted.

The 2 Single Sixes I mentioned were both stainless 5 1/2' guns from 2018 purchased from the same dealer so I assume originating from the same distributor. The best they would group at 50 feet was 3". None of the groups were over 4". There was always a flier in each group (I marked the chamber) from both guns that opened the groups up. I swapped in one for its identical replacement and then swapped it on a 00646, the blued 6 1/2" fixed sight Single Six. If I hold my mouth right it groups into an inch off a rest at 50 feet.

As far as your bet. Get the gang to stand still at 50 feet and watch bubba!

Best Regards,
ADP3
Old 09-20-2019, 06:10 AM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
OK,
I have a question about the accuracy of the Wrangler after reading this.
The Single sixes most are convertibles (22lr/22mag). Does the Wrangler use its own barrel or is it using the same diameter/Barrel that the single six uses.

My Single Six Hunter is not very accurate either. Because it is a convertible. If the Wranglers are not a convertible barrel that would make it a lot more accurate.

I was not interested in the Wrangler because I don't like painted gun's. The paint will wear eventually. But after reading this and thinking about it (Ruger add say's hammer forged barrel) I maybe interested.

But 2" groups at 50 feet are really not that good either. That grouping with Bulk ammo ?

Last edited by jstanfield103; 09-20-2019 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:31 AM
ADP3

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I would be surprised if Ruger went to the expense of different spec barrels for their bargain revolver. Consistent 2” groups from mine came from Federal bulk pack, CCI Mini Mags, and some old Winchester Wildcat. I’ve just been shooting up what I’ve had on hand for a while. Better ammo and a shooter with better eyesight would probably produce better groups. The trough rear sight and narrow, smooth faced front are not the easiest to pick up but they are well regulated on mine at least. The Ruger forum sites have posters with lots of Wrangler input.

Best Regards,
ADP3
Old 09-20-2019, 11:16 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I keep reading about the 22Mag 'size barrel' on the Sgl Sixes; ie, what, about a thou' bigger dia. than a '22LR size barrel'?
After decades of centerfire revolvers in sgl and dbl action and reloading primarily cast bullets into varying dia. bores intended for the nominal size for caliber jacketed bullets we, in our group, fully agree that the cylinder mouth must (MUST) be at least the groove dia. of the barrel for the gun to shoot lead well. A 'tighter' than groove dia.' chamber mouth swages the bullet down too small for proper fit in the barrel. It all starts right there where the bullet exits the case.
I suggest we get some real feedback from owners on the cylinder mouth dimensions of the Wrangler vs the SS's.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:20 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It would be very good if they made the barrel for the 22lr only. Like the original Single Sixes that were a lot more accurate. Also like the Mark series that is so accurate. If it is that way I would be very interested.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:15 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I remember when the convertible single sixes hit the market and shortly there after the complains from the magazine gun writers of the rather poor accuracy of the gun when used as a 22 LR. I would like to see someone slug and measure the bore and chamber diameter of the wrangle and the single six available today just to actually see what's what and not what someone thinks. I own neither or I would have already done the chore myself.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:42 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is a very interesting thread and I love reading on this subject. I know many of you have read my posts in other forums so I apologize if I seem repetitive, old guys tend to do that. I owned my first single six probably in 1966 or so and just loved it. Of course I sold it later. I now have a 2015 Super Single-six 4 5/8 inch bbl convertible .22lr and .22 magnum. I don't have the instruments to mic the bore, but rifling appears to be shallow. I would judge so far that it isn't extremlely accurate, but it hits or moves tin cans at 40 feet or so, and I am happy. I bought the single-six kind of for my self indulgence, a Wrangler would have achieved what I would be happy with in accuracy probably just as well. My point is that it doesn't make so much difference which revolver we choose, just so long as we get out to shoot and enjoy it!

Last edited by wproct; 09-20-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:53 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
wproct,
You are correct, just go out and shoot. Problem with my Single Six Hunter is that with 22lr. hitting my 1" steel Plate at 25 yards is really tuff compared to my Mark IV and Hammerli 22's.

If the Wrangler has a 22lr only sized barrel, that would be a very interesting Single Six. Even if it is painted. Wish they would make a throw back Single Six that is not convertible.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:15 PM
Danjet500

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
For you guys that think your accuracy problem is with the bore diameter, try Paco's Accurizer. about half way down the page.

http://pacotools.com/tool_discriptions
Old 09-22-2019, 08:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Or, as with rifles, find a brand and lot that shoots well. There are rather large variations in bullet dia.s among the offerings.
Seems most people just buy whatever is cheap bulk ammo and expect it to do better than it can.