Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:55 AM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
SS Hunter with Red Dot solutions

I have a Single Six Hunter that I really like. But as I get older I find myself using Red Dot sights more and more. Just easier on the Diabetic aging eye's. I have seven revolvers and pistols in 22lr. All have red dots except my Hunter and a old Browning Challenger.

The reason the Hunter has never received one is because of the scope ring set up that Ruger uses on the Hunter. Makes it a little heavy up front and odd looking with a tube type Red Dot.

I ended up purchasing a Vortex Venom this week and now the process for a way to mount it on the Hunter. I see there are about 4 different mounts that may possibly be used for this Red Dot. I ended up ordering 2 from Wiegand Mounts (one that he says will not fit the Single Six but the sight shows it going on a Redhawk Hunter so I believe it will fit the Single Six Hunter we shall see) Ordered another from EGW gun works that looks really good but the rear sights must be removed (also one of the Wiegand also has to be removed) and the last mount I ordered from MADDMACS Precision Tactical. This mount uses the Ruger Scope ring slot to mount the Red Dot. Man that is an expensive mount.

I ordered all three because really there is nothing much that covers the Ruger Hunter models on Red Dot mounts. I will try them out and see what works for me the best and go from there. I will probably end up selling the ones I don't use, but if you have a Hunter model. Stay tuned for report on the best Red Dot mount.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:37 PM
GreggieBoy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good luck with it. Hope one of them works.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:58 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ok guy's I have the winner for me. It was the MaddMacs Precision, Single Six Mount. Easy to take off and use my factory sights.

This mount is really expensive but works so well, little higher than EGW gun works mount but I really like the MaddMax. Perfect for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 09:04 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It looks solid. How's the parallax?
Old 09-05-2019, 10:31 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That looks nice!
Old 09-06-2019, 04:21 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I had the EGW mount on it also but that mount although very nice you had to take off the rear sight.

Bradical, not sure what you mean on Parallax. RMR's don't have Parallax. You may need to explain so I can reply to that question.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:21 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
Bradical, not sure what you mean on Parallax. RMR's don't have Parallax. You may need to explain so I can reply to that question.
Sure they do. Okay, too close a range to count, though. I guess what I want to know is with the red dot mounted higher on the mount, how's it affecting your zero ranges? The higher the optic is mounted, the steeper the angle will be and the greater the parallax effect.

https://info.stagarms.com/blog/fast-...ght-techniques

Last edited by Bradical; 09-06-2019 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 09-06-2019, 10:44 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If it does have a parallax I can not detect it.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:35 AM
Plainsman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
Sure they do. Okay, too close a range to count, though. I guess what I want to know is with the red dot mounted higher on the mount, how's it affecting your zero ranges? The higher the optic is mounted, the steeper the angle will be and the greater the parallax effect.

https://info.stagarms.com/blog/fast-...ght-techniques
Parallax is view distortion...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax
Not the height of the lens.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:39 AM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
Parallax is view distortion...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax
Not the height of the lens.
Wikipedia, unfortunately, is not the best source for information. It can be an okay place to start, but by no means is it authoritative.

Yes, the word parallax is often used to describe the distortion of an objects location created by a magnifying lens when the observers eye is not centered in the lens. It is also "an apparent change in the direction of an object, caused by a change in observational position that provides a new line of sight." Webster's Dictionary.

The root word of parallax is from the Greek word parallaxis, meaning "the mutual inclination of two lines forming an angle."

[IMG][/IMG]

Therefore, by raising your aiming device (O in the diagram) further from the firearms bore (C in the diagram) creates a greater parallax observational point of view to the target (B in the diagram) compared to the firearms iron sights, or even the bore, point of view to the target.

So, yeah, parallax is increased by increasing the height of an aiming device/lens above a bore.

Last edited by Bradical; 09-07-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:42 AM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
But, let's not lose sight of that very cool Single Six Hunter. I just love the proportions of the Hunter. So cool.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:37 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Took her to the range today. Yes it was shooting a lot higher but shot great after a few adjustments. Very happy with the mount.

Bradical, to me parallax is more a term for a scope. Yes you have to have your eye straight down the scope alignment. To me the RMR is really parallax free. As long as you have the dot on target (especially since the glass is not magnified) and you have proper trigger control you will hit your target.

But I am not that scientific. That you for the comments, and as my eyes get older the red dots are more liked all the time. I can use factory sights but red dots are just getting habit forming as I get older.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:21 PM
Bradical

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you intend to use the pistol for target shooting where your range to the target is known and consistent, the greater parallax of the high mount will not be much of a factor, if any, once you've set zero.

However, if you're to use the site for hunting, where the range to your target will be more variable, you'll just have to become familiar with your pistol/round combination ballistics in order to consistently put a round on your quarry. This would not be unlike any other set up. But, with the mount being about 1" above the bore the point of impact will be increased more from your preferred point of zero as your quarry is, say 10+/- yards from your zero.

Let's say your zero is 15 yards. Your ballistic zero could be at 15 yards and again at 50 yards, with the red dot. But with the irons set at a 15 yard zero, the ballistic path will intersect again sooner, say 35 yards (just a guess, not ballistics calculator) because the parallax angle of the irons to the bore is less than that of the higher mounted red dot.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:17 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Update on my Single Six Hunter.

This is my first RMR sight, I like it but I seem to prefer the tube type Red Dots. So I ended up removing the Vortex Venom and replacing it with one of my trusted Millett SP-1 Red Dots. I have several of these and they work really well for me. The Venom is now residing on my S&W M617 where it fits and works better.