10/22 Carbon Fiber Barrels - Looking for opinions - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:07 AM
RC4600

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Many CF barrel builds under my belt

I saw this older thread, I have always liked CF barrels, restocked many back in the day, mostly centerfire. They have always had mixed feedback, but they do shoot. Just thought I would check in.

On .22's I prefer the Magnum Research simply because they always shot so good, with most ammo. The upside and down side of the rig is the lightness. Depending on stock, they can be so light they are difficult to hold on target, great to carry though. I have sold all the CF 22's I have owned except a Ruger Charger which I have great fondness. It has a early Magnum barrel shortened to 10.5" and one of our old stocks, tricked action. Fun little weapon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0005.jpg (480.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0006.jpg (492.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-31-2020, 08:25 PM
dufferDave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
barrel weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisteringsilen View Post
Under 2 lbs is for just the barrel....
OK, first off, I don't know squat about speed metal competition, so this may be a stupid comment.

Aren't we supposed to want some weight in the barrel to help steady our sight picture? Speaking only for myself, I like a little weight, and even at "normal" carbine weights I have a challenge holding steady offhand. I think I would be at a significant dis-advantage to lose a bunch of weight up front.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:11 AM
Geo

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I think a questions you should ask is -- will the end result be reliable? If the rifle you build does not run VERY well, it will not be a good rifle for competitive steel shooting. Lightweight is great, but reliability wins matches. I shoot Volquartsen rifles in steel challenge competitions- not the lightest rifle by far, but they run very well. Good luck with your choices, but make sure you keep the reliability factor in mind.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:17 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've got PWS barrels that I'll never give up!
Old 08-02-2020, 01:35 PM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
I've got PWS barrels that I'll never give up!
don't they use that chunky looking carbon, instead of a nice weave though?
Old 08-02-2020, 05:13 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes they use "chopper" instead of "woven" glass but I didn't buy it for the look, I only care about the weight and the performance.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
Yes they use "chopper" instead of "woven" glass but I didn't buy it for the look, I only care about the weight and the performance.
Does it stay consistent during the sustained fire as heat builds?
Old 08-03-2020, 07:51 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGuy50 View Post
Does it stay consistent during the sustained fire as heat builds?
I've never had any type of a barrel heating issue but it stays on it's grouping.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:10 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Your going to find a lot of people who have different brands of accurate lightweight barrels, but the Kidd ULW is probably the most consistently accurate lightweight barrel.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:00 AM
sevenla
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisteringsilen View Post
Hey all,

So, I'm considering building out an ultra-lightweight 10/22 for speed steel, and I was hoping to get feedback from everyone on the various carbon fiber barrel options.

Goals - ultra lightweight (less than 2 lbs), bentz chamber for match-ish accuracy, durable enough to take a little abuse, and it does need to look good. Also, no longer than 18.5".

These are what I've found thus far:

So, with that list in mind....

First off, am I missing anything? Is there some secret, underground, fight-club style barrelmaker out there with a great carbon fiber offering for the 10/22 market?

Second, if you've tried one or more of these, I'd love to hear about your experiences, good and bad both. I'm a reasonable competent gunsmith, so I'm not to worried about the mechanical side of the build, but I would love to hear about accuracy, issues, etc.

Third, I've never done a carbon fiber barrel before. Is there anything to watch out for? Tips and tricks?

Forth, have I lost my mind on this?

Any thoughts or feedback would be great, thanks!

EDIT

Adding in a list of lightweight barrels that are AL instead of Carbon Fiber tensioned, but still very light and great accuracy

How accurate are you trying to be? I mean Clint Beyer just guaranteed me 1/2Ē at 50m out of a 6Ē charger barrel. I mean if itís just weight and shooting Speed Steel then you canít go wrong with Beyer or Feddersen and the price is around 200 instead of 350 plus. Just my two pennies...
Old 08-03-2020, 11:11 AM
Lokipaux

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Magnum Research consistently shoots less than 1/2" from the bench at 50 yards with Eley Force or Eley Edge. It didn't like SK Long Range Match.

I competed in the Lapua Rimfire challenge and achieved hits out to 300 yards with this barrel. I did buy the complete rifle and have it in an ArchAngel Precision stock.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:44 PM
blisteringsilen
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to blisteringsilen
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferDave View Post
OK, first off, I don't know squat about speed metal competition, so this may be a stupid comment.

Aren't we supposed to want some weight in the barrel to help steady our sight picture? Speaking only for myself, I like a little weight, and even at "normal" carbine weights I have a challenge holding steady offhand. I think I would be at a significant dis-advantage to lose a bunch of weight up front.
Not a stupid comment at all - that's what learning is all about.

For a traditional 3 position shooter, yes, you want extra weight out on that muzzle end to slow down the movements of the barrel. It's a good thing, for sure.

But for something like speed steel (or the hybrid version that we shoot at my club), weight on the muzzle end is a bad thing. The evil geniuses who set up the course of fire design it so that on several stages, you have to traverse 90 degrees from left to right, and then from right back to left again.

They can do this because the concept of a start post and a stop post exist. Put them next to each other, and you'll have to shoot from left to right back to left again.

So, you have to ask yourself, what's the fastest way for me to shoot this stage? You want to minimize barrel movement as much as possible, so how can I shoot all the way though this without moving the barrel more than the bare minimum necessary.

Anyway, why does that matter for weight? Well, the targets aren't terribly small (3"x3" is the smallest we use locally, but it's only at about 20 yards), but they're spread out. So you have to expect to swing the barrel a lot. And if you've got a bunch of extra weight, it's harder to stop than if it's ultra lightweight.

The local guys like to tease me, because I've shot sporting clays my whole life on top of tactical training, so my form and approach is really, really different than theirs is. I tend to tuck in, whereas they chicken wing.

It really is whatever works best for each shooter. No matter how goofy we look.

Anyway, cutting weight makes swinging the rifle faster, and (more importantly) stopping the barrel in the right place faster. The less the chance that you swing past your target and have to come back, the faster you go.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:50 PM
blisteringsilen
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to blisteringsilen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I think a questions you should ask is -- will the end result be reliable?
No, I agree for sure. I'm a reasonably skilled gunsmith, but I'm sure not making my own carbon fiber barrels. I'm comfortable cutting down an all-steel barrel, but with the value of my time, plus the cost of acquiring the barrel, plus the tooling costs, plus the refinishing... it's better for me to buy than to build from scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
Your going to find a lot of people who have different brands of accurate lightweight barrels, but the Kidd ULW is probably the most consistently accurate lightweight barrel.
This is the kind of info I'm after, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenla View Post
How accurate are you trying to be? I mean Clint Beyer just guaranteed me 1/2Ē at 50m out of a 6Ē charger barrel. I mean if itís just weight and shooting Speed Steel then you canít go wrong with Beyer or Feddersen and the price is around 200 instead of 350 plus. Just my two pennies...
A 1/2" at 50m is great for a barrel in a fixture, but I need something that will conform to local rules, plus allows for speed. I've never bought a Beyer barrel, so I don't know anything about them. I've bought 2 Feddersen barrels - one was great, the other was meh. Neither were lightweight.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:18 PM
IndustryOutsider

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've got several lightweight barrels, but only one carbon fiber one - the Summit Precision. Mine is a custom 10" one on a Charger, but it still shoots like you would expect from something with "Precision" in the name. It was plenty accurate for hitting steel with a red dot, but I mounted a Vortex 6-18x44 recently, just so I could see what it's really capable of. After clearing a KYL rack down to the 1/4 plate at 35 yards, I realized it's probably more accurate than I'm capable of shooting. I'll push my KYL out to 50 yards next outing, if I can find someone with better eyes than me. But so far, it's a winner.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:12 PM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
If it was my money Iíd go with a kidd LW or ULW. To me the performance is equal to the vq, although I think the vq looks better. The beyer is a good little barrel too. Shoots really well, I gave it to my dad and he loves it.

Kidd is just hands down probably my favorite go to for 10/22 parts. Wish they would make a sporter barrel but thatís a different subject.

Iron