Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-02-2019, 03:48 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My Hunting Rig

I'm headed to my sisters to go squirrel hunting. I plan on hunting for a few hours at a time in the Ozark woods. Below is my hunting rig. It is a Korean war era pistol belt with a new aluminum canteen. The black pouch hold all that is shown. I have bandages, gauze, tape, emergency blankets, the plastic bag has Vaseline covered cotton balls for starting a fire, lighter, flashlight, knife, Ace bandage, and a whistle. I have room for (2) 50 round boxes of ammo as well.

The whole thing weighs in at 2.2 lbs with a full canteen. For my purposes what else would suggest I pack.

Mals
Old 11-02-2019, 04:09 PM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
a bag of chips. great fire starter and fuel for you.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:19 PM
bobnoffs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i'd throw in some batteries. my flashlight was chosen to operate on the same batteries as my gps. at least a couple candy bars, maybe a candle and if you crunch up the potato chips before you leave you can get them in a small pill bottle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2019, 04:44 PM
Basrem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good job man I got a lot of stuff like that like to stay prepared

Sent from my K10 using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2019, 05:01 PM
ricky9x22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mals9 View Post
I'm headed to my sisters to go squirrel hunting. I plan on hunting for a few hours at a time in the Ozark woods. Below is my hunting rig. It is a Korean war era pistol belt with a new aluminum canteen. The black pouch hold all that is shown. I have bandages, gauze, tape, emergency blankets, the plastic bag has Vaseline covered cotton balls for starting a fire, lighter, flashlight, knife, Ace bandage, and a whistle. I have room for (2) 50 round boxes of ammo as well.

The whole thing weighs in at 2.2 lbs with a full canteen. For my purposes what else would suggest I pack.

Mals
Glad to see that I am not the only one who packs a gear bag for hunting! Hope you have some good hunting coming up!!!
Rick
Old 11-02-2019, 05:55 PM
jm17
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (10)
That's a great set up. Seems like you have everything you need except your rifle. Have great hunt!
Old 11-02-2019, 06:46 PM
headspaced
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The Ozark woods are not that dangerous. St Louis, on the other hand,,,,,,,,,,
Old 11-02-2019, 07:21 PM
James Cottrell
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to James Cottrell
I like the chest pack for bino's with an extra pouch on the front. I find it so handy when you sit with your back to a tree, and everything is right in front of you. Ammo, gloves, small bino's etc.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:08 PM
scootch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does your canteen have the cup with it? if not Iíd add that. If not you can use a metal cup from the camping section. It wouldn't take up much room in your bag because a lot of your stuff will fit in it.

Iíd exchange your flash light for a small led headlight (hands free) with extra batteries. Iíve had several similarly designed flash lights like yours and one or two drops usually kills the led.

Razor blades are small, sharp and handy and donít add much weight.

Tea or coffee bags.

bright colored land scape flagging to mark your path if your not familiar with your area. Reflective if you can find some will allow you to see it at night while walking out.

Some sort of water filter, coffee filter and a few drops of chlorine bleach is better than nothing.

Small stick knife sharpener.

Some sort of toilet paper of a small pack of tissues.

If you ever had to actually use that stuff because you are stranded it might be nice to have a deck of cards. Solitaire to help keep your mind calm.

I also care a small vest pocket bible.

What gun are you carrying? Two or three magazines? and something to keep your gun going, brush, oil, something to clean dirt out of the muzzle.

Have fun,
Scootch
Old 11-02-2019, 09:52 PM
alramr
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Might consider a small compass.

Last edited by alramr; 11-03-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:48 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With all those suggestions, don't forget the kitchen sink. Sorry, that just jumped in there!

I suggest always be sure to take your fully charged phone with you. I hate phones but in my line of work, have seen them save lives.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:58 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Like Old Hickory I think one of the most important things for hunting Iowa is a fully charged phone. I always take water, knife, ammo, phone, plastic bags and snack.

Most places it's pretty easy to find your way out of the timber and to a road. I have hunted up in the UP or eastern and western mountains and I always took much more gear.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:41 AM
Basrem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All great suggestions too much is too much and too little is too little. Back for the occasion

Sent from my K10 using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2019, 08:00 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
With all those suggestions, don't forget the kitchen sink. Sorry, that just jumped in there!
Old 11-03-2019, 08:46 AM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Headspaced you have point there.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I carry all my toiletries and granola bars in the pockets of my cargo pants. The area I am hunting is easy to get out of, bounded by a river and roads. I like the idea of the head lamp. I will carrying my Marlin 60 or 80. I can easily pack 3 extra mags for the 80. The daily limit is 10 I should only need 10 rounds, right?

Mals