Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

My 2 cents on M&P 22 Compact.

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  alum572 
#1 ·
I have read it all in regards to nasty looking bores and accuracy and such and yes mine has some of what others are seeing and yes the rest of my .22 collection have nicer looking bores. That said . . . . The 22c has eaten thousands of rounds without one single fail to feed or fail to fire, is always accurate for a handgun, is a breeze to maintain and is just plain fun.
In fact after reading lots of comments the word "FUN" is the most often used term I see in print from others

#3 ·
I had one for a short while. My biggest problem was with the trigger followed by the accuracy ( but then most of that was probably due to the trigger ). I let a friend use it for a few months and since I did not have a S&W M&P "anything" I found it of little value as an economical practice tool. I actually wanted the Sig 938 in 22 LR since I do carry a Sig 938 SAS in 9mm . . . but the trigger was horrible on that one as well. I cannot speak to the bad bore as I never did that close of an inspection on mine. Possibly another cause for the poor accuracy. :eek: :confused: :(

At this point, I do not have a sub-compact 22LR for practice or just plinking. :)

#5 ·
I had an SR-22 and it shot great but I had to get rid of it because the the safety worked backwards. You had to sweep the safety UP to take the safety off. :confused: I replaced it with the S&W M&P Compact 22 and have been glad that I did ever since. Yes it is a fun gun and makes a great suppressor host!!!

#7 ·
I have a S&W M&P 22 compact that primarily my wife shoots. I had constant fail to extract and fail to eject problems with it to the point that I had to cut some wooden dowels to use to remove the spent casing from the gun after firing it. I would say this was on 60% to 70% of the rounds.

I finally got completely fed up with it and sent it back to S&W and explained the problem to them in detail with data on 50 rounds that about 60% of the time the casing would fail to extract.

They fixed it and returned it in about 3 weeks at their cost and all the paperwork said was "repaired barrel" so I don't know exactly what they did. I suspect that the chamber diameter was undersized and they must have opened that some. It also appears that they polished the feed ramp as it was nice and shiny bright now. I'm pretty surprised that a gun could get out of their factory with that kind of a problem to begin with.

But, since I have gotten it back, it has been fired a couple of thousand times without a single fail to extract and only a couple of stovepipes.

So, now I'm very happy with the performance. The barrel cleans up bright and shiny too and I have no other problems with it.

I have since bought a Glock 44 since my wife and I are both shooting mostly .22 now with the ammo situation. I have shot all kinds of ammo through it and probably 4 thousand rounds and not had more than a couple of failures of any kind. I'm really happy with it and my wife likes to shoot it too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.