Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Anyone make a Cheek Riser for their Takedown?

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  MG-70 
#1 ·
For no apparent reason today, the thought of making a cheek riser for the Takedown came to mind. I'm not sure of the why for to the timing, as my other two 10/22s could've benefited from one years before the Takedown even existed, and God knows I have a long list of way more important things to complete.

Sure, the stock is a bit too short, and light, but it was made for transporting in its smallish pack, so I'll try not to knock on it too much. I'm not planning on replacing the stock, but was thinking of adding a little weight to the rear, and perhaps a cheek riser. Unfortunately, the buttplate appears to be plastic-welded in place, so I'll start the planning with a cheek riser.

Due to it's looks, a DIY foam and duct tape riser wouldn't be completely out of place, but the foam eventually shrinks and the tape shreds to pieces and leaves glue residue on the stock. I have at least one or two quality removable stock pack risers, but aesthetically prefer something a little more permanent.

For that reason, I was thinking of maybe fabricating a cheek riser from a sheet of Kydex, or something. Has anyone tried this? If so, what thickness Kydex did you use, and how did you cut and bend it?

Anyhow, I hope everyone is staying safe!

Cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
I have made several cheek risers but not for the take down. Mine is in a Backpacker Stock. Take a 6"X6" piece of Kydex and bend it with heat over a piece of 1/2" pipe. Attach with Velcro or screws. I prefer the screws. Drill mounting holes in the 4 corners before bending. Get it where you want it and use self tapping/sheet metal screws into the stock. Drill extra holes in the riser for adjustment if needed.

#9 ·
Nick7274, I agree with you that there's no way I could go the DIY route for under $10, without reassurance that it would work, or not damage the hollow stock. That stock pack looks great, and I never get tired of seeing that rifle! Another pro to your suggestion is that I should be able to easily add weight to the removable pack.

Thanks for the reply!

#10 ·
I know you said you're not gonna replace the stock but if you did the Magpul backpack It's just what you need
Sweet, light, rig! Magpul makes good stuff; that's for sure. I have some of their AR furniture.

I really like the buttstock with the replaceable cheek risers of the factory Ruger lightweight Takedown (model?), but I don't care for the texture of the grip and shape and texture of the forearm.

It took most manufacturers "only" 30+ years to even consider adding high or adjustable combs on rifles that were shot mostly scoped, with most of the base centerfire models not even including metallic sights for the last 15-20 years, but it's great to see some inexpensive models from Ruger and Savage including replaceable stock risers on even cheap plastic stocks.

Since Magpul was perhaps the first stock manufacturer to offer replaceable plastic combs, different firearms manufacturers should have at least included the notches on their combs to accept the replaceable Magpul risers, similar to how various modern firearms accept AICS and even Glock pattern mags.

Thanks for the reply!

#13 ·
I got a thin edge blade on the top of it in between the buttplate and the stock and twisted and it just popped off of both of them. No marks on either after surgery.

The cheek risers were made of kydex and slotted. I used black carriage bolts and washers. The knobs I found on ebay.

I'd take a picture but I just moved and everything is packed up. Message me in a week to remind me and l send you some pics.

#14 · (Edited)
I've been working with Kydex for years and find it a very easy and forgiving material. I've made holsters, car parts, doodads, even fabricated part of a dashboard from Kydex. An adjustable cheek riser would be a pretty simple project to make from .08" or .125" Kydex. You can even buy it in different camo prints. I have a T/CR22 on order right now, and will be making a riser for it when I mount a scope. However, if you want to just get one that's ready-made, there are several available from the Evil Empire:

https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Kydex-...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.