Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Vintage walnut and modern stainless action

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  JStacy 
#1 · (Edited)
I just want to show off something I've been working on for a little while now. It's a vintage refinished walnut stock that is near perfect with a modern stainless receiver and factory threaded barrel. I used Williams Fire Sights, had Randy at CPC do his magic to the bolt, and I did a little work to the trigger to get the pull weight down.

I've been thinking about how I would build a 10/22 if someone at Ruger handed me keys to the shop and said have at it. I wouldn't say this is "ultimate" but it's what I think the hardwood carbine should be if profit wasn't an issue.

Specs
Real walnut stock
2020 Stainless receiver and threaded barrel
Williams Fire Sights
CPC reworked bolt
JWH Barrel band
JWH Chrome charging handle
Ruger polymer trigger housing
Pike Arms gloss black trigger
Ruger EMR
Mild trigger work
Power Custom Spring Kit
OD Green paracord sling from a gun show

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you, it shoots great! I'm not much of a shot anymore but I can put 10 rounds in a two inch circle at 50 yards with it. 18" barrel, I considered a 20" that was factory threaded but they are impossible to find, and I prefer the 18" anyway. This barrel was on back order at Shop Ruger for 3 months, but I did manage to recuperate half the cost of the barrel by selling the no threaded one.

#6 ·
Nice, very nice
Understated Elegance. Of course if you're gonna put a can on that, taller sights Will be needed,. Me, id just go with a little red dot and low rail
I don't think I'm going to use a can on this one, the threaded barrel was more of just having the option to use a can. I've got a grey/green laminate 10/22 that I have a scope on that my can pretty much lives on.

#9 ·
I like it, and did not know Ruger made silver colored plastic trigger housings. I wouldn't have thought to use a black extended mag release, but I think it looks better on that rifle than what a similar silver one would've looked like.

Congratulations on the build!

#10 ·
Thank you! The silver polymer trigger group wasn't offered very long. I only remember seeing them for a year or two when they switched from cast aluminum. They had a grey one as well. I've got a a stripped grey one, a complete black one, and a totally unmolested "stainless" trigger group stored away. I had the stainless group in this rig, but the silver polymer actually looked better.

#13 ·
I have a silver set up , GM 17" sportier barrel, on a factory finger groove stock and it is a good looking , and shooting, gun !! Handy weight for field use or target shooting.
Mil dot scope and sighted POA at 25 yards and the first mildot is dead on at 100 with HV ammo.
I like the classic looks of the OP's gun !! Good looking build !
Question ? Did you relive the barrel band so it did not touch the barrel ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.