Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

#2 Weatherby XXII, Anschutz Bolt-Action Version

5K views 37 replies 2 participants last post by  LoneWolfSS454 
#1 ·
I think I got hooked upon buying my 1st Weatherby XXII, a Howa made tube-fed semi-automatic with it's beautiful chatoyancy infused stock. Initially I resisted the urge of buying a bolt-action model due to the prices they command, but eventually I gave in. I must admit now, I don't regret the decision at all. At this time it's true accuracy potential is somewhat unknown because I'm still working on a (personal) lack of consistency, besides I've only fired it once - in winds that were well above what was forecast. Additionally, my recently built and highly unconventional bench has a slight stability issue with the rear leg, but a fix is in the works. Having two XXII's now, I wanted a bench "worthy of the rifles" (a bench that also looked nice), so I made the looks a priority. With that said, I still managed a couple of dime sized (or smaller) groups using SK Rifle Match late last week. All things considered, this rifle seems to have excellent accuracy potential, and like most, if not all of the XXII rifles, it looks good too, although not quite as nice as my other one (Which is Here: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1190349)

Note: the 2 lower coins are Quarters...

Attachments

See less See more
#28 · (Edited)
Oh yeah, you're right about the XR and having SF verses the AO. In the 24X case, I wanted and prefer the AO as it has more revolutions, thus a finer focusing ability than most, if not all, side focus knob systems. If speed is a priority, then the SF is king, but when I'm at the bench, I'm in turtle mode.

I guess I haven't looked that closely at Zeiss before. I did check out "Schott and Fluoride" and the headquarters appear to be in Germany, so maybe they do in fact make their own glass there? I'm betting they do. I don't know about the whole .5cm measuring thing though, what (limited?) memory I have at the range is all around MOA measuring, so I could be LOST with that system!?!?

I'm betting the Japanese Weaver made scopes used Japanese glass. A big part of why I think this is like many products (LCD television screens for instance), there are usually only a few companies who actually make the "main components", but the finished products have all kinds of brand names on them, besides I don't think that many companies have gone into the manufacturing of highly specialized, quality, lens making ("glass"). But, what the heck do I know? I guess I'm speaking in general terms, which makes me think I'm some what correct about glass manufactures.

I wonder who makes the glass for Vortex? But at the moment don't really care, that is, unless I ever go for one of their top of the line scopes?
I so wish it had higher magnification, but I inherited a killer (super clear glass!) Leupold MK-IV LR/T 4.5-14x50mm scope which seems to be the nicest and clearest glass I have (which is not on anything either). I also got a Vari-X II 3-9x40 from the same source, and to me, it's by far the worst glass/scope I've ever looked through, so my opinion of Leupold in general is "mixed and confused". If that dang expensive MK-IV went up to around 20x to 26X, I'd likely be a HUGE fan of their scopes!

I was looking at March scopes recently, but had to do something around the house more important before I got much research done. What little I did see was impressive, so they'll stay high on my "wish list" (with Nightforce, Zeiss and ___?) until I figure out what the heck I'll eventually end up buying.

I should have mentioned since we're talking about high end scopes, mine won't be for any little (.22lr) rim-fire rifles. And, unless I manage to get a custom made 6.5 Creedmoore Target/Varmint rifle built (with wood much like these Weatherby's, hopefully), no sights, and some other "dream features" (provided ammo for it comes available next year?), then what ever high end scope I get would end up being put on my RRA .223 Wylde, 24"-HBAR, Varmint A4 rifle, or possibly on an inherited DPMS LR-308, but it might need a better and longer after market barrel?

#30 ·
I hear you NIB. In my case, I'm thinking a minimum of 100-yd target shooting, but also more from 200 yards, and hopefully a little beyond (the public range I use is like a depressed 30'+ in the ground, squared-bowel with somewhere around a 250-yd to 300-yd maximum range).
You got me with a new (to me) term, "pit". I Googled it and found a company, Progressive intelligent target system, but have the feeling you're talking about something else? Please enlighten me...?

#31 ·
There are steel plates set up at 340YDS at one of the ranges I visit. I'd be using that crystal clear scope with a bit of horsepower magnification for those plates! I walked out to the plates one day and they looked like a Parmesan Cheese Grater! Had someone possibly been shooting armor piercing or was this normal for jacketed softpoints? I don't know for sure but these are the "Pits" I was referring to.

#32 ·
340 yards sounds interesting, and fun! I'm not sure either how those targets got shot up like that, but I now know this... The (inherited) LR-308, with "commercial ammo" can easily blast a hole through a steel target that's 5/16's of an inch thick, at 50 yards. As far as I know, the target in question is just "regular steel", not the AR-#00 whatever - hardened steel stuff (which I do have some of too). The ammo used had already been loaded in spare magazines, so I'm not sure what exactly it is/was, but it had chromed cases, black colored bullets (I know, just like some military 30-06 armor piercing ammo I've seen before, but it's not like that stuff-) because it had red polymer, or some semi-transparent plastic material tips (which the 30-06 AP ammo didn't). I think I have more of this ammo in the original boxes and it's just regular (but high quality, and expensive) off the shelf ammo that anyone can buy.
A good, clear and powerful scope would definitely help you with such shooting. They're also nice because you don't need to drag along a spotting scope with you. I like being able to see bullet holes in paper from 200 yards away. If I can get the ammo I'd need for that 6.5-CM custom rifle I mentioned earlier, I want a scope that can see those bullet holes from 500 yards away, possibly more. A dream scope for a dream rifle? BTW, what Caliber are you using for 340 yards, and if it's not a "secret", what rifle?
Below, one abused by an LR-308, steel target...

Attachments

#33 ·
You literally punched that 5/16 steel out! A Sierra Match King being basically FMJ might also put a bit of a dent..an..(accurate) dent. Bullet holes "seen" at 500YD must take X magnification? I've had a Vortex Golden Eagle with ED glass on my mind from time to time. But I'm not in a hurry. I've got an old Colt Sauer in 30-06 that still gets the job done. Not sure of mounts for the VGE as the Sauer has special bases that need to be kept. These take dovetail mounts and the VGE is 30mm tube so I have not yet checked into availability of those? Gun will shoot, I once put three commercially loaded 150gr soft-points into the 340YD (I think 12/14 inch diameter) plate as fast as I could ready myself for the next consecutive shots while being steady enough for all of them. It impressed a fellow shooting a couple benches over from me. :) The slim hammer forged barrel did the job and must not have been overly warm to perform.

BTW...The Sauer uses a Roy "Weatherby" type stock in the interest of keeping 50% (not rimfire) in line with this Weatherby forum. :hide:

#34 ·
I quickly learned that mild steel is no match for a 308, especially at only 50 yards! I may be wanting/expecting too much, wanting to see bullet holes at 500 yards? Yet, all but the most insanely expensive spotting scopes don't even have the magnification of the more powerful, high-end scopes, so how do people see if they're hitting their targets at those distances? I'm a "lone wolf shooter" without some crazy guy in a dug-out pit, under my target, getting impact-readings for me, after all. I keep remembering seeing that on television and thinking to myself, the guys who change those targets downrange (in the dug-outs under the targets) are either completely nuts, or have a death wish?
I've seen photos of the older Colt/Sauer rifles when looking for a "dream rifle". They are very nice, and you're a lucky man to have one, especially a "shooter" as yours appears to be! Without even knowing about the "Weatherby like stock", I'd still agree they fit with the "Weatherby theme" because of how nice they are! I'd bet 30mm rings or mounts w/rings for those rifles could be very hard to find (de to their age and the unique mounting system). Do you have any machinist or machine shop friends who can make a set? I don't think these will work, but found them and thought it might be worth sharing (?):
http://www.sinomeoutdoor.com/products/30mm-Integral-Aluminum-ring-Colt-Sauer-Medium.htm

#35 ·
Thanks for the nice comment on the rifle. The Golden Eagle is sort of like a spotting scope mounted on top of a rifle! :eek: 15 - 60X ED Glass. Maybe that's over kill for say 340YD? Maybe it would be perfect? Probably see bullet holes at 500?

I'd sit in a dugout but no metal anything/target near the dugout! If the bullets were still supersonic you could listen to the tiny sonic booms as they passed by. :cool:

If I recall correctly the bases were/are special made by Redfield for the Colt Sauer. (And I do believe the mounts you posted would work).

I'd prefer something similar to the Redfield Dovetail Rings now on the rifle which have the allen screws mounted underneath and bored/threaded with stops so all you see is smooth polished blued steel on their tops! I'm sure this was costlier to machine. Very Nice!

These Burris look similar although they have top mounted thru hole screws. https://www.amazon.com/Burris-420321-Standard-30-mm-Medium/dp/B0000V2O8K

I wonder about the number 420321? Is it no longer available? https://www.burrisoptics.com/signature-rings

It's interesting that a man who once worked for Redfield, possibly has a set of rings that might work! :bthumb:
Burris was a design engineer with Redfield
https://www.burrisoptics.com/history

#36 ·
Your welcome, but no thanks necessary, the rifles are just Beautiful! I had to look at them again this morning to remember how the scopes mounted, and saw some real beauties. I really don't need any more rifles, but seeing those again makes me want one anyway! Lol
I think the power of the Vortex-GE would be great on your Colt/Sauer, the only think I can't say is how it would look? Some scope/rifle combinations just don't "look right", which is also a very subjective thing as everyone's taste can be vastly different. And, yes, you could see the bullet holes from a long ways away, which to me is part of why I like powerful scopes.
I didn't see the rings, #420321 as you typed it, but I will say, if you think you'll Ever want to mount a 30mm scope on that rifle, buy some rings while you still can! Besides the other things I'm about to type, that rifle has some of the most unique mounts I've ever seen, thus they are somewhat hard (expensive?) to find these days. Things, parts, accessories, for anything older (rifles, cars, etc) tend to dry up at some point, never to be seen again, or become insanely expensive if you can find them. One case in point of this are the aftermarket red-dot mounts for the discontinued "Colt-22" pistol (the ones originally called the "Cadet"). I bought one back in the 90's but never had a need for a red dot. Decades later and now having poorer eye sight, I wanted to mount one, but zero mounts could be found. I did solve the problem, I made one, but you'd have a much more difficult time making scope rings, or paying thru the nose getting someone to. If money's not tight, I'd buy a set just to have in the event I might want to mount a 30mm scope, and to possibly improve it's future sale value, not that we'd ever want to sell such a sweet rifle...
The mount I did for on the Colt-22...

Attachments

#37 ·
Yes, LW. The manufactures eliminating or virtually eliminating polished scopes (and rifles) makes it much more difficult for those with polished/blued rifles to find an ideal match and as a result we settle for a less than ideal looking scope. Nice work on that Colt 22 mount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.